200tdi retrofit, what to check/service on the engine before fitting? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

200tdi retrofit, what to check/service on the engine before fitting?

For those that have been retrofitting 200tdi engines into their rovers over here in North America, what sort of checks have you done to the 200's before installing them? I've got my 200 on an engine stand now and I'm thinking about taking the pan off and checking the connecting rod and main bearings while it is there. I'll also likely change the timing belt. The compression feels good, I could spin it up to test it but I don't have the correct fitting for the glow plugs on the 200. Any comments and/or suggestions on what I should or shouldn't do to the engine before installation?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Front and rear main seals. Timing belt and tensioner. Pull the pan and reseal, I doubt that the bearings are any issue. I generally re-gasket the whole damn thing, which gets you a good look inside......but only as I am doing it for someone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

While the oil pan is out, remove, inspect, clean and replace the oil pick-up strainer. Water pump inspection, cause it is easier to replace while on the stand than when the truck is put back together and they are pretty cheap for peace of mind. I would check and even replace all glow plugs as they are also very cheap to replace. Have an EGT sender put on the exhaust manifold.

My 0.02$

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
headdamage
Andrew

It is a 200tdi from a disco but it came out of a LHD 110. Someone had used a 300tdi turbo to get it into the 110 and maintain the 2.5na diesel engine mounts and transmission in their original positions.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
headdamage
Andrew

Do you have to use new main bolts, con rod bolts, and con rod nuts when you replace the bearing shells?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, engine, service, tdi