200tdi refreshing - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 26th, 2013, 03:33 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Do you know the history of the motor at all?

Truthfully its probably not a huge concern... we're certainly not talking about a race engine here. Slap it together, run it, and work out the kinks. Or tear the whole thing down and rebuild it with new bearings, rings, valves, valve guides, planed head, etc. Theres not much middle ground between those two options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Fair enough.

I was told it was in good running condition when it was pulled. I started in the front to do the timing belt and as soon as I took off the water pump I got a little concerned as it had a some rusty sludgy gunk inside and from then on I just saw more things that were of concern. Like I said, I have never done any of this before. I'm not sure when I see something if it is in good or bad shape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3568440312.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	82991  
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:15 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Hey Jeff, if you still have my number can talk you through the air cleaner piece if you need any help and will be glad to send a few pictures.

We should probably also have a fuel routing discussion that will save you countless hours.

PM if interested, or call.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
That rust is probably from the impeller on the water pump.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Before the re-build it felt like it had a little bit of movement but really not that bad. After I had a turbo re-built the play, cold, was almost non existent. I was told that it was ready for a failure?
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:21 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Cold or hot, a turbo with proper bushings should have no play side to side. It can have a very small (read: almost unnoticeable) amount of axial (in/out) play, but it really should have none.

Any side to side play means the bearings are dead and is a sure sign for rebuild.
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Really? Good luck with that theory. How will the shaft get lubricated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Cold or hot, a turbo with proper bushings should have no play side to side. It can have a very small (read: almost unnoticeable) amount of axial (in/out) play, but it really should have none.

Any side to side play means the bearings are dead and is a sure sign for rebuild.
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hey Dave,

Sorry I never replied back to your post - journal bearing turbo shaft play specs I have seen are typically ~0.006" radial and ~0.003" axial. Most times I have seen that level of tolerance, it has been difficult to perceive by finger movement. I guess maybe "no shaft play" isn't exactly the right word, but in assessing turbos, best to rebuild the ones you can wiggle by hand

The oil film lubrication occurs hydraulically much in the same way oil lubricates the main bearings on an engine crankshaft, which also have very small bearing clearances.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions