200tdi Rebuild New England - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2017, 11:20 PM
abraded
Shams Helminski
'71 IIa Hybridized

200tdi Rebuild New England

I have a 200tdi in need of a rebuild. Symptoms were excessive smoke, high crankcase pressure. Compression test was a little low on cylinder #1, close to 400psi for #2 and #3, but only about 300psi for cylinder #4. Figured it might be headgasket blown at #4 to pushrod tube. Pulled the head and the the head gasket seemed fine (actually looked like it was recently replaced--don't have service records on the truck, but odometer is around 115k miles). Cylinder bores look worn and feel worn for the supposed mileage. Only one has some superficial scoring. However, I can definitely feel a ridge toward the top of the cylinder even before getting up to the real carbon deposits--don't have a bore gauge to measure how far out things are.

So, it seems like I'm looking at a full rebuild. I'm tight enough on time that I am not going to try to do a full rebuild myself. I'm located in southern VT and don't have a local machine shop that I know/trust. Searching threads I didn't come across any definite suggestions for a shop in New England. Any recommendations out there? Should I not gamble on local rebuilding options and just spring for a Turner rebuilt longblock?

Trying to decide my next move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	292281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	292289  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2017, 06:09 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Since your head is off, do a leak test on four. To see if the valves are closing tightly.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:28 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Since your head is off, do a leak test o four. To see if the valves are closing tightly.
Useless test at this point. Better to check for cracks between the valves as many 200 heads suffer this weakness. If the head is indeed cracked your chances of finding a rebuilt or even a core are very slim. You should consider a 300 head.

A Turner longblock will be more cost effective. In general, a machine shop will be the most expensive option. You might also ask around for any good used complete engines.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2017, 08:08 AM
abraded
Shams Helminski
'71 IIa Hybridized

Out of curiosity I checked the valves for leaks. Slight leak on exhaust valve for cylinder #3, larger leak on exhaust valve for #1. Both valves for #4 seemed good. So maybe the exhaust valve on #1 is why the compression was down on that cylinder? No visible cracks in the head.
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:13 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I have a 200TDi in my truck that needs to go in preparation for an HS28 swap. I'm in NYC.
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:29 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I called around until I found a local guy in my area, it took a bunch of calls but i eventually got someone.
I got all the parts from Turner, pistons, rings etc. He didn't have to touch the head because I had a new Turner head already.
it cost around $2500, which was considerable less than i could of got the Turner block here for.
Runs great by the way.
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:39 AM
abraded
Shams Helminski
'71 IIa Hybridized

Tomaco, thanks for the data point on rebuild cost. Seems like getting a Turner rebuilt would be probably close to $4500 minimum by the time it arrived here. As long as I'm pulling the engine I'm inclined to put something rebuilt in rather than used--unless it seemed like I was going to save a ton of money.
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:44 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The other thing to ask when calling is turnaround time. It could be months between drop off and pick up.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Key for a 200tdi full rebuild is finding someone who can line bore the cam bearings. It requires special toolling that most machine shops don't have. Everything else is standard rebuilding practice.

The cam bearings requirethat the fresh ones be installed, then machine d to size based on measurements from the removed cam. They have to be machined in the block. Most old school vw and Subaru rebuilders should be able to do it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, new england, rebuild, tdi