200tdi oil cooler / oil cooler line thread question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

200tdi oil cooler / oil cooler line thread question

I am converting my 90 to a 200TDI and purchased a used 1993 200tdi Defender kit that came with just about everything I need from the radiator back to the bell housing. I assumed that the kit was removed from the same defender based on the ad. However I went to connect the oil cooler lines to the radiator and they are a different thread

Coming out of the radiator I have an adapter that has course threads on it

The oil cooler lines have a fine thread

Both appear to be the same size just different threads

Questions

1. Are there different versions of the radiator adapter? If so any idea on part numbers or where I can get one?

2. What are the chances that a local radiator shop or hose shop would have the adapter?

Any other ideas? I really wanted to try and get this thing started in the next few days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil cooler 1.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	23816   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil cooler 2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	23817  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Been reading the oil cooler replacment posts and it looks like I might need the radiator plug that people are removing from their 1993 - early 1995 radiators to fit the aftermarket oil cooler lines.

Does anyone have the adapter that they removed from their radiator tio install upgraded lines that they would be willing to send me? Or maybe even someone in Colorado that I could drive over and get?

Here is a picture, you can see the threads are a fine thread compared to the one I have
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oil cooler 3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	23820  
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I took mine to a local automotive hose shop, custom hose shop I guess, and they modified what I bought as 200tdi hoses to fit my rad oil cooler. Mine were diffent also. They cut off the ones with the wrong thread and put on the right ones. It was pricey though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Tom,

I am 99% sure all I need is the proper adapter thing that has the fine threads on it and I will be good to go.

Hopefully someone saved theirs when they upgraded a NAS 1993 - early 1995 to the fancy new hoses.

If not I will make some custom hoses using the info mike from ECR and others have provided using AN fittings.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I went through the same challenges when making replacement cooler lines for my late 95 D-90 SW. If I recall, the adapter for the oil cooler lines were BSP thread (British Standard Pipe). There are several internet sites that step through the various world wide pipe threads. By taking measurements and comparing the readings to the available charts I was able to figure out the right adapters. If I recall correctly I found only one source on-line for a BSP-to-AN adapter.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Posting my findings for the next person who needs it.

Adapter for fine thread oil cooler line
ESR1262

Adapter for course thread oil cooler line
NTC3858

I purchased QTY 2 ESR1262 at a cost of $10 each from the dealership, removed the old ones, screwed in the new ones and everything fits perfect now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESR1262.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	23877   Click image for larger version

Name:	NTC3858.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	23878  

Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I've only just picked this thread up Dave, but as you've found out, the V8 and Tdi threads are different.

When i converted my old 90 to a 3.9 V8, i used a turboD radiator (As it's got the in-built oil cooler) and had to swap the threads over.
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Posting my findings for the next person who needs it.

Adapter for fine thread oil cooler line
ESR1262

Adapter for course thread oil cooler line
NTC3858

I purchased QTY 2 ESR1262 at a cost of $10 each from the dealership, removed the old ones, screwed in the new ones and everything fits perfect now

So can someone clarify?

The fine thread adapter at the top is for a 200tdi rad? and the Coarse thread on the bottom is for the V8 rad?

Also what is the thread and pitch on the right side of both the adapters? I want to fit SS lines but i don't think that the trailhead ones will fit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi