200tdi not turning over - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

200tdi not turning over

Vehicle specifics: '86 110, disco 200tdi conversion.

It was finally time today to try and get the 110 moving again. When it arrived it had no brake fluid in the system which turned out to be a leak at the left front caliper and right rear cylinder. Got that fixed, new radiator, taurus fan, brake MC, timing belt, aux belt, etc. when it arrived I drove it 30 feet from the street to the garage and it ran fine, I haven't started it since then

Went to start it today after topping up the battery and it doesn't turn over. All dash lights and overhead lights are bright, battery is charged, at key position 1 the dash battery light comes on and at position 2 the orange seesaw looking light comes on and there's a click behind the dash (start relay?), but the starter doesn't engage and there's no click from the starter relay.

Before I start tearing into it over the weekend, any thoughts on where to start looking?

Thanks,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
It should at least engage the starter even if the fuel cutoff solenoid wasn't working.

My guess is that it is starter/solenoid related.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There should be no start relay. Check for power at the start signal wire for the starter. Could also check at the ignition switch first.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Give it a pop start and then let it run and try again. I had this happen once and never again on a 200.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

All good thoughts, thanks. I'm wondering if the battery may not be up to snuff. I know these want a lot of amps to turn over. I may stick it back on the charger overnight and see if that helps.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Battery measuring 12.9v and still no love from the starter. Put the Autozone PowerMeister 9000 charger on the 100a engine start settting and . . . no love from the starter. So it's now on 2v trickle charge for a while to see if that changes anything until morning when it's light and I can poke around.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The last time mine wouldn't start it was the battery. It would turn over, but not enough to truly get it running. A good charge/jump and it was good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You can put a tester on the battery to see if it is over 12 volts, check the starter to make sure that it has constant power and switched power, check the key switch (red wire) to see if the switch is working, if they did a main fuse box on the firewall check the fuses....
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Maybe it is just the starter? I just replaced mine.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Being the smart kid I am, I fixed it. The only issue is that I'm not smart enough to know how I fixed it! I removed the (legitimately terrible) wiring that the PO installed that cut off the injector pump. Found the wire that was originally connected to it, hooked it up and she fired up on the first turn of the key. Now why that wasn't allowing the starter solenoid to engage I don't know. Especially since I had 12v at the starter solenoid and all of the ignition switch wiring was good. We may have to chalk this up to the Rover Gods having a change of heart towards me.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi