200tdi not starting - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Thought they could change an o-ring. My bad.

I would never pay $819.00 (including tax) for this (or any) shop to rebuild one when you can get a new one shipped for about a grand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:57 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Pump back in now, the third time, and it's running. Lots of nasty white smoke but its running smooth. A little timing advance and I'll have that little drip from the o-ring resolved.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:41 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Great news.
The white smoke is not unusual for condensate and unburnt cold fuel that has piled up inside your exhaust system.
When it gets sufficiently hot and blown out with pressure, the exhaust should return to normal.

Glad it finally started and runs... another challenge behind you Mike.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:39 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Ok I spoke too soon. Yes it runs. But, it's really sluggish, doesn't want to build boost or accelerate. I advanced the timing a bit, then backed it off when I was getting a bit too much clatter. This cleared up the white smoke. I'm not seeing any smoke of any color at this point. I suspect the fuel settings were set randomly, rather like the timing. It is REALLY sluggish off idle. Seems like the fuel needs to be turned up.

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if he will admit to me that it was done "eeny meeny miney moe" or whether he used some incorrect specification.

Ultimately I will probably have to learn how to do the necessary adjustments myself.
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:03 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Closure on this finally. Just had to turn the fuel screw in, runs great now. Had to install the pump 3 times. and also had a Disco pump in and out before getting this figured out.
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:14 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Closure on this finally. Just had to turn the fuel screw in, runs great now. Had to install the pump 3 times. and also had a Disco pump in and out before getting this figured out.
Glad you were able to sort it out.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, start, starting, tdi