200tdi massive black smoke on .. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Too much fuel and we flush the injectors and new fuel filter ( we = Doug did it )
Diafragma was moved between stock position and where it was and it is much better, and almost unoticeable loss of power .

Drove home 70mph and not an aiota of black smoke
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool- probably way down on the egt gauge as well. If you aren't missing the torque it's all good. Should pick a few mpg-but not as many as you would if you removed the empty jerry cans from the roof rack....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Doug,

What did you use / do to flush the injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave every time I change a fuel filter I fill the new filter with atf instead of diesel. Its an old school thing. The Tdi's seem to react well to it so I continue the practice.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

How often do you change the filter?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Depends on if I'm able to run any bio through. I usually change the filter any time I percieve a drop in performance.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
LMAO,

You mean my ExPo Mall Crawling Cans? I just took them down.

Yes , the Pyrometer was way way down , even if I did not down shifted and stayed on it, I kept looking at it as what the heck? Glad you've mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
Cool- probably way down on the egt gauge as well. If you aren't missing the torque it's all good. Should pick a few mpg-but not as many as you would if you removed the empty jerry cans from the roof rack....
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

can you add a bottle of ATF to a full tank of diesel and get the same result? My fuel filter will only hold a small amount of ATF, because it is the old style 2.5 NA cannister filter.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Doug, also are you partial to any particular brand of ATF? I was planning to replace my filter tomorrow so I'm glad I read this post.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
...because it is the old style 2.5 NA cannister filter.
That is probably not a good idea. The hole size of the nozzles in the TDI is orders of magnitude smaller than an NA and I assume the fuel filters filter to a much smaller size....
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Jason,

When I met Doug to do the work, I brought 2 kinds of ATF ( Very Expensive and Very Cheap - Pep Boys cheap ) and his words " lets use the cheapest , no sense on burning a good one ).

A friend mechanic suggested to run Kerosene as well ( like couple of gallons on the Tank ), but I forgot to ask Doug his opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Doug, also are you partial to any particular brand of ATF? I was planning to replace my filter tomorrow so I'm glad I read this post.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
nope-its gets burned in a matter of mins.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool...thanks Gustavo & Doug. Btw...I think I was hurting after HH this past Thursday until like Saturday night. I must be getting old! That, or I need to get my liver back in shape.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 24th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jason,
As I said this practice is old school from Detroits and John Deeres. Definately don't use a synthetic and preferably an old type F instead of dexron/mercon the fewer additives the better. The filter only holds about a half quart.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 24th, 2010, 11:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The funny thing is I literally just cleaned out the garage 2 weeks ago and hit the landfill with all my old ATF/MotorOil/etc...definitely had some old Type F from my Ford Explorer days (which were in high school!). But glad you mentioned non-synthetic....I probably would have realized that, but...better safe than sorry.

On a side note, the fuel filter may have to wait since I ripped out the whole series of belts/waterpump/waterpump housing/steering pump/alternator on Sunday to get at the dreaded P-Gasket that was leaking. Of course, instead of things going smoothly one of the PS Pump bolts broke off, then took it to the machine shop to be drilled out/rethreaded this morning...found 2 other bolt holes were shot to hell this afternoon...brought it back again...got it back and realized I didn't have any Grade 8 replacement bolts here to finish it tonight. Now have to try to get up at the crack of dawn to track some down, get everything reassembled tomorrow by early afternoon to head to our farm in Lewisburg WV. Always cutting it close : ).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 30th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Dave every time I change a fuel filter I fill the new filter with atf instead of diesel. Its an old school thing. The Tdi's seem to react well to it so I continue the practice.
Just to clarify as I'm about to change the fuel filter on my 200tdi ... before installing the new fuel filter I should first fill the new filter with non-synthetic (preferably old type F) ATF fluid? Yeah?
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:54 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Yeah, and dump the rest in the tank.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, ac, tdi