Defender Source Forum banner

200tdi / LT77 Shift Points

Tags
200tdi tdi
2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  lmwong 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Haven't driven a diesel since I drove my grandfathers old 70's mercedes over a decade ago. Have a 200tdi mated to a LT77 and I am hoping to get some insider advice on proper shift points. Bonus if you have a video /audio of you shifting your 200tdi. Working without a tachometer and just listening to the motor, but I am not familiar with how the 200tdi sounds at any given rpm so I feel like I am pushing the motor harder than I should to each shift point (or maybe it just sounds like it).

Second question ... is it normal to have black smoke out the pipe everytime the engine is under a load?

Thanks! Just getting familiar with this beauty.

#2 ·
I was just thinking about doing this just this week, as I am going to put an r380 in and wanted to see the difference, if there was any other than in 5th.
I'll get on it this week

------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2016 06:18 PM ------

Mines a 1.4

#4 ·
I was just thinking about doing this just this week, as I am going to put an r380 in and wanted to see the difference, if there was any other than in 5th. I'll get on it this week ------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2016 06:18 PM ------ Mines a 1.4
That would be great! Thanks!

------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2016 06:09 PM ------

Black smoke under load is normal. Plenty of info online on tuning your IP.
Thanks Dave! I'll look into it.

#16 · (Edited)
sorry Tom, there's a host called oogala.com that Social Knowledge LLC owns for their inline video hosting. It appears to be a very simple form of CDN. If you open up your adblock or noscript preferences, you should be able to see a way to temporarily disable adblock/noscript on this page.

If you don't have adblock or noscript, then maybe try a different browser?

#19 ·
I have this engine and transmission combo. It took me awhile to learn how to shift. I use a reference on the dash to know where first is (for me, somewhere close to the left-hand screw for the center dash face plate). It goes into gear much easier if the car is rolling just a little. Anything over 5 mph and you will never get it into first. Just go to second. Second is jammed somewhere towards your thigh. 3-5 are a lot easier and more natural to find. Shifting into a higher gear is much easier with lower RPM. It will be very hard to shift smoothly if you use too much gas. Nice, slow, and carefully placed shifts was the best advise given to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.