200tdi LT77 Clutch MC and Slave? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2016, 09:31 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

200tdi LT77 Clutch MC and Slave?

Hello,

I have a new puddle of fluid under the truck. Looks like the MC gave up the ghost. Shifting action had been less than optimal lately but I figured it was because of the freezing cold temps lately.

My truck is a Bitsa truck with a 200TDI and a 93 body with an LT77.

Are all the clutch MCs compatible? are there any options or combos of clutch MC, clutch line and slave cylinder that are recommended over just getting parts for a LHD 200TDI (like is the 300TDI line compatible and less prone to failure or an aftermarket kit)?

My intent is to get a new MC, clutch line and slave. I leaning towards new versus rebuild kits.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If a master leaks, it will run inside the truck in the footwell. AFAIK, all clutch masters are the same. All slaves are the same for an LT77 diesels. Make sure you can OEM for both.

Be careful when removing the slave not to pull the pushrod off of the fork.

An option for a different master is here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post704404

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Land Rover Defender 200tdi Clutch Slave & Master Cylinder Kit - BR 3018 BR 3021 | eBay

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2016, 10:18 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If a master leaks, it will run inside the truck in the footwell. AFAIK, all clutch masters are the same. All slaves are the same for an LT77 diesels. Make sure you can OEM for both.

Be careful when removing the slave not to pull the pushrod off of the fork.

An option for a different master is here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post704404
John, It is leaking down the driver side radius arm forward to the axle and dripping there. I also have a drip at the flywheel housing. I'll take a better look after I change into some warm coveralls or something.

Wow Robert, that is significantly less than what I budgeted for.
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I would not buy the aftermarket ones mentioned above, You want OEM. They should be in branded boxes.

The radius arm leak sounds like a brake leak unless it is a fitting. If the master leaks at its seal, it must run into the truck cab. Have a look at where the line connects to the master. Maybe it is just loose.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:06 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Oscar I have a quality OEM MC available. New Never Used/Installed. Delphi. $75
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3669897085.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	589.7 KB
ID:	142435   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2830379744.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	571.9 KB
ID:	142436  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2933803703.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	142437  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:13 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Slight hijack, but what is oem these days? LR repack of (I think) TRW, TRW or Delphi? All seem to be of comparable quality and better than the no name, white box stuff.
..tolerant Wife...
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:34 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
Slight hijack, but what is oem these days? LR repack of (I think) TRW, TRW or Delphi? All seem to be of comparable quality and better than the no name, white box stuff.
I'm not sure exactly. I was told when ordering not to go cheap on the MC's as they tend to consistently fail. Delphi provides a quality MC I understand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:53 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

When I was last in England was told by a reliable source that Bearmach used re-boxed TRW/ZF parts.
This was good enough for me.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old February 15th, 2016, 12:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

Any questions on the conversion that John posted above let me know.

For what it's worth on my NAS 90 I replaced my Clutch Master / Clutch Slave @ 90,900 miles (TRW if I recall). Later, the CS went out at 106K miles and I replaced just that...likely this was due to the deterioration of the CM aluminum particles flowing downstream to the CS.

At 109.5K miles the CS gave up the ghost again and upon inspection realized it was due to the CM failure causing the issue (when I say "failure" I mean the internals of the CM wearing and causing fluid contamination). Previously any "flushes" of fresh fluid would turn gray relatively quickly (instead of the nice golden DOT color it should be).

Went with the cast-iron Dorman conversion over 3K miles ago and the fluid still looks brand new in the reservoir, and have had zero issues every since.

Not long ago (last month or so) the CM on the 130 started leaking, so immediately did the Dorman conversion on that as well...haven't really driven it much since it's been off the road for winter but I don't expect any issues for many thousands of miles at this point .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 15th, 2016, 12:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I did see your link Nathan and the very very very nice part of the setup was the flex line coming from the master allowing the removal of the whole petal assembly without bending or kinking a metal line.
Do you offer the line and fittings separately?

Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:35 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Be sure to read the free play adjustment procedure on the manual.

-Jeff
Ok everything is in and I need to adjust the freeplay (there isn't any right now). I'm having trouble finding the specs. The inter webs says it should be 5.5 inches of pedal height and 6mm of free play, is that correct? do I just go at the two 12 (13) mm nuts on the plunger shaft until I get the 6mm?

John looks like this guy was guilty of the puddle under the radius arm (replaced this too):

Ordered all parts from Safari HP, got here in a day.
Old February 25th, 2016, 07:11 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Anyone?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, clutch, slave, tdi