200tdi low on power and smoking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:58 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

200tdi low on power and smoking

This is a 200Tdi in a 110...
The truck began to make a small ticking noise and recieved a valve adjustment, it is now running smooth and quiet but will smoke white smoke at start up.. it also puffs black smoke while accelerating and highway speeds..
the truck also is low on power? puffing black smoke on the highway and having a hard time keeping
up with normal highway speeds...
The truck never smoked before and it appears the valve adjustment has helped with the low range power but it is low on power during hills and highway..
Im not 100% convinced the valves and the power issue were completely related.. it also sounded like my turbo wasnt whistling like it did...
living in Michigan it has been VERY difficult to find a local mechanic who understands this truck and I have owned many Rovers but this is my first diesel and I am no expert...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

While using the truck in low range around the ranch it now smokes (whiteish) smoke about the whole time it is being used? the truck never smoked before.. usually just a small puff at start up, then it always ran clean..
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:36 AM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Check and or replace the fuel filter. Had one here that went down on power pretty quick and it started to puff white smoke and it was the fuel filter. They will puff white-ish smoke when cold also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:52 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Thank you.. Yes that is suspect.. I was always running the filters offered by RN but a few months back I was given a (Land Rover) genuine filter by the mechanic and I had been suspecting that it has felt different since.. usually when I replace the filter I feel the power gain and smooth opperation... after running this genuine filter I didnt? anyways it hasnt been on very long but I will replace it....

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2012 08:54 AM ------

I have logged over 30k miles on this truck in the last couple of years and it just never smoked? even when cold...
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Assuming it has an EGR valve, pull it and see how carboned and dirty it and the lines leading to and from it are. Had a badly running Ford powerstroke in the other day with similar symptoms. The EGR was dirtier than a coal miner after a shift. The lines were blocked.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Check the timing. White smoke can come from retarded timing.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

I had read this about timing and I had asked the mechanic who did the valves to check it but they did not.... is this a difficult procedure?
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is simple. Read the workshop manual. You set the engine at TDC by aligning a notch in the flywheel centered on the flywheel housing drain. This can be done by eye. Then set the timing with a pin (drill bit will work) through the injection pump drive pulley. If it is a long way off you may have jumped a tooth on the belt.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:33 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

White smoke under low rpm conditions (and cold) IS un-burned fuel. Black smoke under load (warm engine) is un-burned fuel too (over fueling) but could be engine oil being sucked into the intake. Lots of causes possible, belt timing, slow worn out turbo, turbo hose leak (s), injectors stuck or worn out, IP aneroid stuck .

We don't have an EGR, but there is an oil cyclone (left top side of valve cover) that should be cleaned on occasion, but I don't think you'd get white smoke from it.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:37 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

First do the filter as noted.
If that does not do the trick check your timing ASAP. I would not drive it much before checking it. Do you know when the timing belt was last changed?
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

sounds similar to what my 300tdi Discovery did. the timing was off by just a hair. fixed that and then started doing it again a few months later. the second time was bad waste gate and vacuum leaks from turbo so check that too. I found it very frustrating too that I did not not know how to work on the 300tdi and neither did any Rover shops in my area. spent lots on money on bad shop advice, beware.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I have a 110 200 tdi. Mine always smokes a little bit specially with a cold engine. But i have lots of power! And runs like new. It has now 260,000 km on it. Basically just new for a 200tdi But i can hear my turbo very well. It sings like a little bird. So if yu can't hear the turbo check that as well. Is it a original defender 200tdi or dico?
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If you have water in your fuel it will smoke white as well. If you have not logged many miles you should check fuel quaility and perhaps run some conditioner like "Howes" to clear up the fuel. I doubt the new filter caused problems.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
First do the filter as noted.
If that does not do the trick check your timing ASAP. I would not drive it much before checking it. Do you know when the timing belt was last changed?
The belt was changed in the last 20k miles...

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2012 12:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeena river rover View Post
I have a 110 200 tdi. Mine always smokes a little bit specially with a cold engine. But i have lots of power! And runs like new. It has now 260,000 km on it. Basically just new for a 200tdi But i can hear my turbo very well. It sings like a little bird. So if yu can't hear the turbo check that as well. Is it a original defender 200tdi or dico?
its an original Defender 200Tdi... and has ran great until this issue...

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2012 12:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
sounds similar to what my 300tdi Discovery did. the timing was off by just a hair. fixed that and then started doing it again a few months later. the second time was bad waste gate and vacuum leaks from turbo so check that too. I found it very frustrating too that I did not not know how to work on the 300tdi and neither did any Rover shops in my area. spent lots on money on bad shop advice, beware.
About an hour away from where I live we have a great European Dealer and repair shop... they do great work on Defenders but they have pointed out to me that my 110 is the only diesel they have come in...
wishing very much there was a great mechanic around as I do use this truck as a daily driver and not just a weekender....
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Traveler View Post
The belt was changed in the last 20k miles.....
Yes, and you should always recheck timing after a little running as the belt can settle in. The other worry is a belt that jumped due to an error on the install.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
White smoke under low rpm conditions (and cold) IS un-burned fuel. Black smoke under load (warm engine) is un-burned fuel too (over fueling) but could be engine oil being sucked into the intake. Lots of causes possible, belt timing, slow worn out turbo, turbo hose leak (s), injectors stuck or worn out, IP aneroid stuck .

We don't have an EGR, but there is an oil cyclone (left top side of valve cover) that should be cleaned on occasion, but I don't think you'd get white smoke from it.
Does this cyclone need to be sealed with silicone... as I was inspecting it last night it appears at some point in its life someone had use a small amount of silicone on the inside of the hole on the valve cover?
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Traveler View Post
Does this cyclone need to be sealed with silicone... as I was inspecting it last night it appears at some point in its life someone had use a small amount of silicone on the inside of the hole on the valve cover?
It has an o-ring.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It has an o-ring.
I saw no o-ring??? does this item need one?? Im guessing it may be like the top o-ring on the cover bolts?
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
how old are your injectors ? 80k is the recommended replacement interval. As said above unburnt fuel is what cause white smoke. Unburnt fuel is usually poor atomization/spray pattern by the injector

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is probably squished flat and covered in oil. Clean it up and you will see it. Replace it to stop leakage. It is a regular o-ring in a groove on the shaft sticking into the valve cover.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi