200tdi low on power and smoking - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
For some reason the parts manual does not show the o-ring, but Google tells me it is part number LLO100000, but you should be able to source an o-ring locally.

edit: you can see it here: http://www5.wind.ne.jp/usuda/lrtrub/trub0033.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
how old are your injectors ? 80k is the recommended replacement interval. As said above unburnt fuel is what cause white smoke. Unburnt fuel is usually poor atomization/spray pattern by the injector
Im not sure of the injectors age? as I have had the truck 3 years and have not serviced them... the odomiter clocks around 175k but im not sure how acurate that is because I was told it was changed when it was converted to LHD...
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:01 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
For some reason the parts manual does not show the o-ring, but Google tells me it is part number LLO100000, but you should be able to source an o-ring locally.

edit: you can see it here: http://www5.wind.ne.jp/usuda/lrtrub/trub0033.htm
thank you for the linc.... I will check it again and replace...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Traveler View Post
This is a 200Tdi in a 110...
The truck began to make a small ticking noise and recieved a valve adjustment, it is now running smooth and quiet but will smoke white smoke at start up.. it also puffs black smoke while accelerating and highway speeds..
the truck also is low on power? puffing black smoke on the highway and having a hard time keeping
up with normal highway speeds...
The truck never smoked before and it appears the valve adjustment has helped with the low range power but it is low on power during hills and highway..
Im not 100% convinced the valves and the power issue were completely related.. it also sounded like my turbo wasnt whistling like it did...
living in Michigan it has been VERY difficult to find a local mechanic who understands this truck and I have owned many Rovers but this is my first diesel and I am no expert...
This same scenario happened to me on my 200TDI. Ended up that the vacuum hose that goes from the turbo to the fuel injection pump that controls fueling at higher throttle had come lose. Once reconnected the problem was solved. Might be worth checking.
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
This same scenario happened to me on my 200TDI. Ended up that the vacuum hose that goes from the turbo to the fuel injection pump that controls fueling at higher throttle had come lose. Once reconnected the problem was solved. Might be worth checking.
thank you for the idea... last night I had noticed that it did appear a little loose.. so I cleaned and connected it..
I will be out in it soon so I hope all the small tlc I have performed today solves it...
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
My 110 200tdi has 222000 miles on the same injectors, I just use injector cleaner once every 6 months or so.
Fuel economy improves after application and a bit more power is on tap.
If the smoke starter suddenly I'd suspect the timing may have jumped a tooth or two.
A blocked fuel filter will just reduce power to the point of being unable to rev at all but won't make smoke.
Sounds as though there is fuel a plenty but it's arriving at the wrong time to burn and make power.:
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
Just to be clear on this "vacuum hose" to the IP.
IT IS NOT A VACUUM LINE. It is a positive pressure line.
If you trace it you'll notice that it terminates on the pressure side of the turbo and the waste gate.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

I'd be checking all the hoses too, some can delaminate internally which obviously severely restricts air flow.

Bad/poor quality fuel can give these symptoms too.
I've had it happen with some of our vehicles, the worst was the TD42T in the Patrol.

A good dose of Redline RL2 fuel cleaner can work wonders and it's worth soaurcing as I've had adverse oil tests with some other cleaners but never when using any of Redlines diesel fuel conditioners.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Thank you for all the advise... After inspection and clean and refitting of all possible hoses and a good cleaning of the fuel filter (untill a new one arrives) the truck did seem to be running good.. as it had developed a bad front ujoint yesterday I was unable to take it to highway speeds... I will repaire asap and hopefully all is well...
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

A tip on the uni's, try and source a GKN TVC100010 as they use a larger diameter cross and longer rollers than a standard 1300 Series uni, giving the strength of at least a 1310 series uni.
The Australian Hardy Spicer equivalent is K5-A757, I don't know what that crosses with for you as I think that's a unique number for here.

I pinched these pics from a thread on LR4x4 as I was too lazy to photograph mine.
It shows the difference clearly.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Just to be clear on this "vacuum hose" to the IP.
IT IS NOT A VACUUM LINE. It is a positive pressure line.
If you trace it you'll notice that it terminates on the pressure side of the turbo and the waste gate.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm certainly no TDI expert, I was just trying to relay the relevant information that I could remember from when it happend...
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi-rick View Post
A tip on the uni's, try and source a GKN TVC100010 as they use a larger diameter cross and longer rollers than a standard 1300 Series uni, giving the strength of at least a 1310 series uni.
The Australian Hardy Spicer equivalent is K5-A757, I don't know what that crosses with for you as I think that's a unique number for here.

I pinched these pics from a thread on LR4x4 as I was too lazy to photograph mine.
It shows the difference clearly.

Great info and photos... thank you!!
Old June 10th, 2014, 06:59 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
any updates on this issue?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi