200Tdi issues - opinions needed - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2015, 01:04 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Oh, I'm withya on what was expected. This is more of a general question. Adam got a turd from ULC and them not honoring the warranty is what really sucks.

------ Follow up post added January 18th, 2015 02:07 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlins View Post
Precisely.....and categorically correct .....but only if the pictures of the engine posted are indeed that of the same engine that was supplied.

So what you are saying is that Adam is trying to rip off ULC by posting pictures of a engine that is not the one that he received from ULC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Precisely.....and categorically correct .....but only if the pictures of the engine posted are indeed that of the same engine that was supplied.

Sure. If ULC said, "send me a photo of the serial #, I will have someone pick it up and refund you your money", that would be one thing.... That is not the case. There is nothing to be gained for Adam to prove anything to us.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 18th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
ULC was the engine supplier in the UK, why is that so hard to understand? 200tdi's do not grow on tree's in the US, so questioning whether its the engine that he was shipped is bullshit. It's not like you can go down to the local junkyard and find one. Your playing devil's advocate which is fine, but your knowledge base is off.

It sucks that this had to come to down to exposing the issue on a forum, you would think that ULC would stand behind their products. Reality is your buying a engine that is at least 20 years old, most likely older than that, so what do you really expect the engines condition to be?

Good luck with the rebuild and please post up any questions on the rebuild
I didn't read that the engine was supplied by only ULC and not by another UK supplier,on their behalf. I was under the impression that ULC ordered the engine but never physically had it in their possession,although it was under their charge and control. Hence the question as to where they would've got it from in the UK....a bona fide supplier or a private individual sale..sold as a runner.

The reason for this information would be to warn other enthusiasts that read this forum,who live in the UK and Europe,such as myself.

Questioning that the engine is in fact the engine that was supplied is indeed a valid point.

Hypothetically speaking if the OP had bazillions of dollars to spend in a civil action that would be the first question which would 100% definitely be asked(along with the warranty proof)

Quite simple really,when one takes the time to think about it,which of course might result in a comment such as "Oh yeah...right enough..that makes sense"

A 200tdi engine would not be impossible to find.Of course I understand what you're saying fully in respect of engines being rare as they are and would indeed be unlikely. Whether they're rare or not should not mean the question shouldn't be asked to be proven. ULC would be asking for same and are probably reading this thread as it's written...

I too trust the OP can get his engine up and running,which is why I proffered the information that Bearmach do rebuild kits. These will be far cheaper that going to the main steeler and will include Corteco seals,Dayco belts and Elring gaskets etc.

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2015, 02:10 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

According to other threads, on this forum and others, ULC has a partner in the UK. Where it came from in the UK is almost a moot point, ULC states the engines are from running vehicles, and tested in the UK before they cross the pond. This engine was F'd from day one, hence the lack of trust in ULC providing something better. I'd be curious to see if they even have the engine serial number on file

Devils advocate again, have ULC provide the video of the engine running, receipts for parts and invoice for hours worked on this specific engine. With that info provided, it would answer all your question.
Old January 18th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Adam expected it to be in tested and running condition since that is what he agreed to pay for. If it used some oil or popped a head gasket 1000 miles later that is another thing.

The engine, as received, was not functional.

This is the core of the problem.
Adam paid $3600-some-odd dollars for a RUNNING/ ready to drop in motor(that included a warranty).
Now, he's got to *suck it up*, move on, and pay someone to fix it.

Dead spot on, John.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 18th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
According to other threads, on this forum and others, ULC has a partner in the UK. Where it came from in the UK is almost a moot point, ULC states the engines are from running vehicles, and tested in the UK before they cross the pond. This engine was F'd from day one, hence the lack of trust in ULC providing something better. I'd be curious to see if they even have the engine serial number on file

Devils advocate again, have ULC provide the video of the engine running, receipts for parts and invoice for hours worked on this specific engine. With that info provided, it would answer all your question.
Precisely,if they have the engine number,which of course they should. It would be on import documents and the original receipt also I'd say?....

Both could be compared i.e.the OP's engine number and that of ULC along with any images.

As the OP has now opted to rebuild his engine and call it a day,anything else is now academic?

I find there have been some points raised that show certain things to look out for when airing ones views without full disclosure IMO.

Old January 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM
emmodg
J.B.
1984 110

Quote:
To the OP....With respect.....I must stress the same point for the third time....if you'd be kind enough to prove the engine is the one they shipped by virtue of tallying the engine number on your receipt with a picture of the engine number on the engine,then we'll all know the whole anecdote is either true or untrue from the beginning.

Again,also who the UK supplier was?...Most second hand running UK 200tdi's sell these days for in and around $5-600...add shipping and $1000 odd of parts and you have a rough guide price?

I'm sorry to say that if these pics are is lacking then I can only assume the whole thread has been a slight on your behalf towards ULC for some other reason?

Also if you could post up a copy of the warranty conditions then we would know what the terms and conditions were..a scanned copy would suffice.

When the proof arrives then we can at least know what's what in respect of ULC?

I'm surprised at the amount of people on here who didn't ask for the same proof before proffering opinions based solely on your side of the story.

You had also mentioned that you'd received PM's from other members lambasting ULC ,by virtue of their unfortunate experience with ULC.

This is anecdotal and thus irrelevant as these are unable to be quoted and prove nothing.

If these people had something to say relative to ULC,then they could've used your thread as a medium to show others what their experience was. If it was true and bad enough they surely wouldn't be shy in indicating a warning to others concerning ULC?

All of this can of course be damaging to a car trade business,as is the business you're in,and the livelihood of those who work in same,hence the respectively unbiased questions.

As you work in the car trade business also,you'll know deep in your heart of hearts what is acceptable and what is not,all relative to your own case.

IMO you've already been conservative with the truth relative to shipping and crating the engine and highlighting anecdotal evidence such as others sending you PM's. You have also not quoted any of ULC emails to prove they said,what you said they said. If these were quoted,when you mentioned them at the start of the thread,then others could've chimed in with a more balanced view and offer up other advice.

Logically speaking and IMO you've realized that the engine supplied (if the pictures actually are of that same engine)was a non runner too late.....contacted the supplier on the off chance of getting another engine..when you were told that that was impossible you've come onto the forum to vent and see if this might cause leverage for ULC to change their mind?...This has been unsuccessful to date.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night? I ask because it certainly sounds like your playing lawyer here. Are you an attorney? If not I would certainly cease with the somewhat pretetious, assuming, litigious, and otherwise accusatory remarks and statements you tend to make here.

Statement: "I'm surprised at the amount of people on here who didn't ask for the same proof before proffering opinions based solely on your side of the story. "

Response: You should not be surprised by the those here who accept a gentleman's word as just that. His word. You should also not be surprised that requests for "proof" are lacking because this is not an investigation. It's an internet forum.

This gentleman is under NO obligation to provide you, me, or anyone else here for that matter with proof of statement or fact. This is merely a car forum and not a court of law, mediation or investigation. No one is looking for exculpatory "evidense". This man purchased a product that simply wasn't as represented. Period. End of discussion. His accusations, which certainly read as actual statements to me, are simply that and WHOLLY a matter between he and the business which sold him the product(engine). You aren't party to the transaction. Nor I, nor most here. If you don't believe this gentleman and put no stock in his claims say so. Tell him via PM. Perhaps you think the gentleman is engaging in some sort of scam? By your tone and language one could argue that that is the case. If this is the case be a gentleman - and speak to him off-line.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 01:54 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmodg View Post
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night? I ask because it certainly sounds like your playing lawyer here. Are you an attorney? If not I would certainly cease with the somewhat pretetious, assuming, litigious, and otherwise accusatory remarks and statements you tend to make here.

Statement: "I'm surprised at the amount of people on here who didn't ask for the same proof before proffering opinions based solely on your side of the story. "

Response: You should not be surprised by the those here who accept a gentleman's word as just that. His word. You should also not be surprised that requests for "proof" are lacking because this is not an investigation. It's an internet forum.

This gentleman is under NO obligation to provide you, me, or anyone else here for that matter with proof of statement or fact. This is merely a car forum and not a court of law, mediation or investigation. No one is looking for exculpatory "evidense". This man purchased a product that simply wasn't as represented. Period. End of discussion. His accusations, which certainly read as actual statements to me, are simply that and WHOLLY a matter between he and the business which sold him the product(engine). You aren't party to the transaction. Nor I, nor most here. If you don't believe this gentleman and put no stock in his claims say so. Tell him via PM. Perhaps you think the gentleman is engaging in some sort of scam? By your tone and language one could argue that that is the case. If this is the case be a gentleman - and speak to him off-line.
Have a coffee..listen to the birds singing..watch the sun go down. You're shouting.If you're this uptight on behalf of someone else after 9 or 10 posts I wonder what you'd be like if someone offered you advice that wasn't conducive to you?

The OP wanted advice....advice given...some points were raised by all concerned along with what to look for when this sort of thread is posted......some negative,some positive....some say ULC owner is a gentleman also....OP now wants to rebuild based on advice given...or not.

Lawyer?.....before retirement I worked in a proper job....

Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:41 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Lawyer?.....before retirement I worked in a proper job.... .
Good Stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:12 AM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
@ Ohlins. have you ever done business with ULC?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:15 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAndy View Post
@ Ohlins. have you ever done business with ULC?
Afternoon....nope I live in France....

Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:00 PM
emmodg
J.B.
1984 110

Quote:
Afternoon....nope I live in France....

My condolences....
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:03 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

David and I reached a fair agreement about the engine today. There is more information in this thread here:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...977#post601977

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi