200Tdi issues - opinions needed - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
The OP is basing his distrust and current decision making on stories from other people, not first hand experience (short of having a motor that may have been broken upon delivery, which the vendor is trying to make right).
Come on. It is more than that. The vendor advertised the motor as being a good running and tested running motor. That is obviously a complete and outright lie.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2015, 05:02 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Come on. It is more than that. The vendor advertised the motor as being a good running and tested running motor. That is obviously a complete and outright lie.
Finally someone else see's the light…

I'd say the least Dave should do is cover the cost re-build, shipping engines around is just plain stupid
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:10 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Finally someone else see's the light…

I'd say the least Dave should do is cover the cost re-build, shipping engines around is just plain stupid
Stupid to you but not necessarily stupid to that company.

How much does it cost to actually rebuild an engine? We all know how much these engines actually cost in the UK. I paid a shop roughly $2k in the UK for a 200tdi w/new timing kit, engine mounts, rad/intercooler, hoses/belts and pipes and new crankshaft seal and rear seal AND the installation AND it came with a 3 month warranty. These engines are marked up significantly in the US.

Actually shipping one in good running condition might be cheaper on paper than paying for a rebuild on this one.

The advertisement was bogus for the engine that is subject of the debate. I'm not sure the debate is about was it advertised as such so much as how should the problem be solved. Personal opinion of myself and probably most would be they should just pay to cover all the shipping but for whatever reason that offer isn't on the table. It's not our company so we don't know why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2015, 05:12 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

My machine shop quoted me $250 to wash, teardown, inspect, and pressure test the head. Another $150 to skim if necessary. Does this seem in line with what others have paid?

I have also been advised to be sure that the offending connecting rod is not bent from being started in a hydrolocked condition. I plan on doing this with a dial indicator this weekend.

If the rod is OK then I will probably proceed with having the head done at the machine shop... and just eat the costs. You would think it would be common sense to cover that cost but common sense seems to have escaped Urban Land Rovers.
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

OP's missfortune, but sure highlights the dangers of buying these old engines, and we need to do their due dilligence.
I sought a used 300 over here and stipulated a compression/leak down check I was not happy with the figures so they pulled the head, replaced the gasket, and there was no improvement. I asked if his UK supplier had done these checks and he said that they do not bother. If the engine runs, its good to go!. I purchased another engine.
There are some really dodgy shops in the UK, and as the vehicles are cheap many owners skimp on maintenace and quite a few parts and of course vehicles end up over here.
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiesel View Post
OP's missfortune, but sure highlights the dangers of buying these old engines, and we need to do their due dilligence.
He bought it from a well known company though. That should have stood for something.

IMO this is why it is important for people to post up on forums like these there factual good and bad dealings. If ULC has really been peddling untested engines then this should be easy to find out from a search here.

Old January 16th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
My machine shop quoted me $250 to wash, teardown, inspect, and pressure test the head. Another $150 to skim if necessary. Does this seem in line with what others have paid? I have also been advised to be sure that the offending connecting rod is not bent from being started in a hydrolocked condition. I plan on doing this with a dial indicator this weekend.
Prices sound okay. I would not skim the head though. These are not really meant to be skimming. Rebuilding the head is pretty simple and you could do it yourself. Have a good look for cracks first between any valves.

Go through the workshop manual and do all the checks. Have a good look at the bore on #1.

Old January 16th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Britpart only supplies Dayco branded timing belts.
Good to know. I typically avoid britpart for anything electrical or engine related.

Just went back to page 1 and saw the pictures. Nasty. How far down the cyl wall is the rust pitting ? Ie down far enough that the rings have to pass it or further up? Old antifreeze get's acidic and eats stuff.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:29 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
He bought it from a well known company though. That should have stood for something.

IMO this is why it is important for people to post up on forums like these there factual good and bad dealings. If ULC has really been peddling untested engines then this should be easy to find out from a search here.
drop-ship, Did you read the thread, didn't hit Dave at Urban or the OP would have been out additional shipping charges to get it to him then I think the entire discussion could be framed in a different light.

Beating up on a vendor who made a concession for a customer who wanted to save the $400 shipping fee from Atlanta seems like a lot of headache for the vendor. FOB Atlanta, if you want direct ship then its hard to hold the seller entirely responsible for an engine that wasn't technically ever in their possession. Its kind of like holding an importer responsible for a truck that was purchased sight unseen vs one that has been inspected and serviced by a dealer prior to sale.

In that respect a $400 rebuild seems like the OP is out what he would have been out initially to have the motor shipped from ATL in the first place.
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:36 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
In that respect a $400 rebuild seems like the OP is out what he would have been out initially to have the motor shipped from ATL in the first place.
I just re-read the thread and I don't see where anyone claims that Adam chose the direct-from-England drop ship to save money. Where did you get that from?

/
/
/
/
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sorry but he bought it from ULC and it was sold as a tested and partial refurbished engine that had been run and videoed as running.

All complete lies and fully ULC's problem. If ULC can't control their supply chain that is their problem to fix.

Asking the buyer to be out more cost and give up the engine as well is crazy. The buyer is not beating up the vendor. He provided all the facts. You can decide for yourself whether or not to trust ULC.

Old January 16th, 2015, 06:43 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I just re-read the thread and I don't see where anyone claims that Adam chose the direct-from-England drop ship to save money. Where did you get that from?
Right here, Chris.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=14
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
That does not say he chose the direct shipping.

Old January 16th, 2015, 06:48 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I purchased the engine from ULC directly. I did not purchase it from a third party and then have ULC manage the import. Your comments do not make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
drop-ship, Did you read the thread, didn't hit Dave at Urban or the OP would have been out additional shipping charges to get it to him then I think the entire discussion could be framed in a different light.

Beating up on a vendor who made a concession for a customer who wanted to save the $400 shipping fee from Atlanta seems like a lot of headache for the vendor. FOB Atlanta, if you want direct ship then its hard to hold the seller entirely responsible for an engine that wasn't technically ever in their possession. Its kind of like holding an importer responsible for a truck that was purchased sight unseen vs one that has been inspected and serviced by a dealer prior to sale.

------ Follow up post added January 16th, 2015 06:53 PM ------

I did ask if it could be shipped direct from the UK to me to streamline the process. David said sure, and never raised any concern over the issue. He conveyed confidence in his UK guys...
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:10 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

This is why I deal with guys like Will or Joel. No worries.
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post

Agree.
Sounds to me like he chose the direct-from-England option because Dave didnt actually have any motors in the US when he was advertising them for sale.
Is that about right, Adam?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:13 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Sorry but he bought it from ULC and it was sold as a tested and partial refurbished engine that had been run and videoed as running.

All complete lies and fully ULC's problem. If ULC can't control their supply chain that is their problem to fix.

Asking the buyer to be out more cost and give up the engine as well is crazy. The buyer is not beating up the vendor. He provided all the facts. You can decide for yourself whether or not to trust ULC.
I almost agree with what you've said. The give up the engine part is not crazy. If it arrived and he installed it or tested it and it shit itself within a day or immediately because it was crap to begin with then he would have had to send it back to ULC to get fixed/replaced if that's what the warranty says or if that's their policy. Just because it's more convenient to have a local shop fix it doesn't mean that's the policy and forum masses don't make company policies. Why if it's 1.5 years later should it suddenly be crazy that they want it back with them for repair/replacement? I agree that they should pay the shipping but that offer isn't on the table and neither has said why.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
This definitely sucks, but I think its probably best to cut your loses and just fix it yourself. I can't tell you how many 'fully tested/known good' DII 4.6 motors we got from junk yards at the dealership that were no good.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:25 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Agree.
Sounds to me like he chose the direct-from-England option because Dave didnt actually have any motors in the US when he was advertising them for sale.
Is that about right, Adam?

That is correct, David told me the engine was coming from England and I asked if he wanted to ship it direct to me instead of to Atlanta, and then to Boston. David said this was fine and that was that. It was never brought up that it would be a problem, or compromise my purchase.

I'm trying to only present facts but if you look at everything together, it's clear that David is/was buying junk and rolling the dice.

He bills himself as a top quality vendor. He's not. If you're in the market for any kind of parts or service he provides, look elsewhere.

As an example, I received a message from a different vendor on this forum, near the beginning of this thread. He approached me, asked if this was an engine that he sold, and said that if it was to just let him know and he would take care of it.

That's from a vendor who doesn't know me from a hole in the wall - one who didnt even know if I was their customer or not. And they confronted the situation right away ready to resolve it.

David, on the other hand, has done anything but. For some reason I am expected to incur even more financial and other costs in order to fix his mistake. That's unacceptable.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:52 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
What did he say was th reason they won't pay to ship it back to them? I'm not trying to be a dick with my posts it i just don't get this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi