Defender Source Forum banner

200Tdi issues - opinions needed

Tags
200tdi tdi
15K views 152 replies 34 participants last post by  transientmechanic 
#1 ·
I purchased a Defender 200Tdi from a forum vendor here about a year and a half ago. It's been part of an ongoing project which has just progressed to the point where I'm ready to get the engine running.

The engine was purchased as good condition, running, with a new timing belt kit fitted.

Today, I began taking the necessary steps to get the engine to run (it's currently installed in the project Series III). I wanted to be sure it turned freely, so I put a 30mm socket on the crank bolt and began to turn the engine clockwise (running direction) . It initially turned fine, but after less than one full rotation, it stopped suddenly and solidly - just as cyl #1 was approaching TDC.

I rotated the engine back counterclockwise, and it turned about 350* and then stopped solid again - just as cyl # 1 was approaching TDC again.

At this point it was apparent that this good condition, running 200Tdi was in fact neither.

I first removed the timing cover to make sure the new timing belt had been installed correctly. The timing marks would not line up, because I could not get cyl #1 to TDC (it was off by half a tooth on the crank pulley). But they looked OK.

Next I pulled the valve cover to check for any abnormalities in the valve train. Everything looked OK there as well. It was now becoming clear that something inside either cyl #1 or #4 was causing an interference, keeping the engine from turning over past TDC.

Off with it's head... 40 minutes later, this is what I found:

Cyl #1 at the top of photo

Close up of top of piston

Cylinder head close up

Cylinder # 1 is in really bad shape. There are some pits in the cylinder wall and a very bad rust ridge around the top. There is no way the engine ran in this condition, as promised when I bought it (remember it did not even turn over because the rust in the cylinder was so bad).

Granted I bought this from the vendor some time ago, but it has been stored inside ever since it arrived in the crate.

I have sent these photos directly to the vendor for a response, but I would like some opinions from those of you who may have seen something similar with a Tdi or who have rebuilt one.

Thanks all.

------ Follow up post added January 11th, 2015 10:30 PM ------

Also, there are some cooling passages in the block that are rusted shut but also seem to have globs of RTV in them - I can't imagine this is normal?

See less See more
#137 ·
The vendor sold something that is clearly not as advertised. This is not an error. They did not magically make a mistake. Based on that, the vendor cannot be trusted. Returning the engine to them would be much too risky. If they defrauded you in the first place, the chance of being defrauded a second time are high. The buyer would then be out all of their money and property and with the only recourse being expensive civil action.

#139 ·
Precisely.....and categorically correct .....but only if the pictures of the engine posted are indeed that of the same engine that was supplied.

:)

#138 ·
ULC was the engine supplier in the UK, why is that so hard to understand? 200tdi's do not grow on tree's in the US, so questioning whether its the engine that he was shipped is bullshit. It's not like you can go down to the local junkyard and find one. Your playing devil's advocate which is fine, but your knowledge base is off.

It sucks that this had to come to down to exposing the issue on a forum, you would think that ULC would stand behind their products. Reality is your buying a engine that is at least 20 years old, most likely older than that, so what do you really expect the engines condition to be?

Good luck with the rebuild and please post up any questions on the rebuild

#140 ·
Reality is your buying a engine that is at least 20 years old, most likely older than that, so what do you really expect the engines condition to be?

Good luck with the rebuild and please post up any questions on the rebuild
Adam expected it to be in tested and running condition since that is what he agreed to pay for. If it used some oil or popped a head gasket 1000 miles later that is another thing.

The engine, as received, was not functional.

#144 ·
According to other threads, on this forum and others, ULC has a partner in the UK. Where it came from in the UK is almost a moot point, ULC states the engines are from running vehicles, and tested in the UK before they cross the pond. This engine was F'd from day one, hence the lack of trust in ULC providing something better. I'd be curious to see if they even have the engine serial number on file

Devils advocate again, have ULC provide the video of the engine running, receipts for parts and invoice for hours worked on this specific engine. With that info provided, it would answer all your question.

#146 ·
Precisely,if they have the engine number,which of course they should. It would be on import documents and the original receipt also I'd say?....

Both could be compared i.e.the OP's engine number and that of ULC along with any images.

As the OP has now opted to rebuild his engine and call it a day,anything else is now academic?

I find there have been some points raised that show certain things to look out for when airing ones views without full disclosure IMO.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.