200Tdi issues - opinions needed - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2015, 02:07 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I dont trust that he will repair, replace, and return the engine to a high enough standard and in a reasonable timeframe.

If I ship it back to him, then I'm out $400+, a weekday of work, and he has my money, my engine, and I have nothing.

He said that he would ship me another engine if I paid for it in full and then he would credit me the amount upon return of the old one. I'm not going to float $3000+ on a credit card just hoping that he will stick to his word.

And by his logic, if he wants me to ship mine back to him first maybe he should return my money first, and then I will give it back to him once he has repaired and shipped it back.

Doing things his way, he is displacing 100% of the risk onto me. I'm only willing to enter into some kind of agreement with him if he has some skin in the game - otherwise what leverage do i have to make sure everything is resolved properly? His word? From what I've experienced and others have told me, thats worth nothing.

I've continued receiving PM's with personal stories about bad business dealings with David. After all these warnings the last thing I think I should do is put the entire situation in his hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
And please don't insult your own intelligence by saying that the engine was inspected and tested, if it was, it would have been blowing white smoke at startup and should have never left the place until it was made ready for use.
http://shop.urbanlandcruisers.com/sh...only-kit-copy/
Quote:
We purchase running vehicles and motors at our location in the UK. All of our motors are 120,000 or less from known vehicles, shops or owners. They are not breaker yard pull outs! On that side we drive (if possible), test run, and pressure test the motors. They are then shipped here via sea freight. Once on this side we really dig into the motors. Each one is fully cleaned and examined. We test run the motor to make sure it is good then we perform a series of tests to ensure the motor is in great shape. We are just now starting to provide video of the motors on line as well
Hard to believe the above seeing this motor.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:55 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
it doesn't make any sense for you to ship the engine back financially, imho, unless they are covering shipping costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Guess you could throw it in the back of a truck and take a road trip to Hotlanta. Do the inspection together, spend some time enjoying the warmer weather, do the tourist thing, and hopefully come back with some new parts. That might be cheaper than a rebuild or shipping it via common carrier.

Or you can stay in the cold Northeast and just rebuild it yourself and eat the damages.
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:04 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
it doesn't make any sense for you to ship the engine back financially, imho, unless they are covering shipping costs.
I agree. Just losing a day having to build a crate and bring it to a terminal doesnt make sense. Let alone shelling out a few hundred bucks.

As you dig around there are more and more bad reviews of Urban. It might make sense to start a thread to bring it all together so people are aware of the risks of doing business with them.
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:23 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

"We purchase running vehicles and motors at our location in the UK. All of our motors are 120,000 or less from known vehicles, shops or owners. They are not breaker yard pull outs! On that side we drive (if possible), test run, and pressure test the motors. They are then shipped here via sea freight. Once on this side we really dig into the motors. Each one is fully cleaned and examined. We test run the motor to make sure it is good then we perform a series of tests to ensure the motor is in great shape. We are just now starting to provide video of the motors on line as well"

Seriously…what a crock of shit
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post

He said that he would ship me another engine if I paid for it in full and then he would credit me the amount upon return of the old one. I'm not going to float $3000+ on a credit card just hoping that he will stick to his word.

This seems pretty reasonable to me?

I'm not taking side nor do I have a dog in the fight, but this seems like a pretty good solution.

Put it on your credit card, if shit hits the fan, dispute the charges.......it's not that hard.
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:30 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
This seems pretty reasonable to me?

I'm not taking side nor do I have a dog in the fight, but this seems like a pretty good solution.

Put it on your credit card, if shit hits the fan, dispute the charges.......it's not that hard.
Yeah, I don't agree that any of this is unfair, regardless of the outcome.

Clearly there is a lack of trust here
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:39 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
This seems pretty reasonable to me? I'm not taking side nor do I have a dog in the fight, but this seems like a pretty good solution. Put it on your credit card, if shit hits the fan, dispute the charges.......it's not that hard.
2x. What else is a vendor to do? If you go this route, get the video of the engine running. Photos. Compression test. Grab a board member to check it out. Jonesy is down there all the time.
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:44 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I dont trust that he will repair, replace, and return the engine to a high enough standard and in a reasonable timeframe.

If I ship it back to him, then I'm out $400+, a weekday of work, and he has my money, my engine, and I have nothing.

And by his logic, if he wants me to ship mine back to him first maybe he should return my money first, and then I will give it back to him once he has repaired and shipped it back.

Doing things his way, he is displacing 100% of the risk onto me. I'm only willing to enter into some kind of agreement with him if he has some skin in the game - otherwise what leverage do i have to make sure everything is resolved properly? His word? From what I've experienced and others have told me, thats worth nothing.

I've continued receiving PM's with personal stories about bad business dealings with David. After all these warnings the last thing I think I should do is put the entire situation in his hands.
I understand your frustrations but they are a business and whatever money you paid them 1.5 years ago has been used for something else by now so it's probably not readily available. I'm not going to debate the warranty nonsense just giving some extra perspective.

If you are paying on your credit card, get something in writing saying you will be credited in full for your return then you can always dispute the charge with your CC company if they somehow screw you over and don't refund you the money for the original bad motor. Once a charge is disputed they shouldn't charge you the interest for it until the entire thing is resolved and then you only would have to pay it if you are the one who is at fault. Get something legitimate in writing saying what is happening so you have a leg to stand on. Make your CC company that charges you money to use their service do the work for you if you think you're going to get hosed.

http://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
Yeah, I don't agree that any of this is unfair, regardless of the outcome.

Clearly there is a lack of trust here
Seriously? The first engine was an obvious piece of untested crap and you would send the guy more money for another one?

Old January 16th, 2015, 03:59 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I agree. Just losing a day having to build a crate and bring it to a terminal doesnt make sense. Let alone shelling out a few hundred bucks.

As you dig around there are more and more bad reviews of Urban. It might make sense to start a thread to bring it all together so people are aware of the risks of doing business with them.
I'll say this. They worked on my truck this past summer and did a very good job. Bulkhead repair, a complete front axle rebuild, and a few other things. I recommended them after my experience. I did not buy an engine, won't ever buy a used engine from anybody unless it's in a running vehicle or I can see it in person running on a crate/pallet, and can't recommend that anybody else do the same.

Again I'm not defending everything they are doing with this situation but you seem fairly stubborn and would rather not spend a small extremely roughly estimated amount of money to resolve the problem by shipping and would rather start an internet slag-fest, not do anything, and pay a shitload to locally rebuild the entire engine. That makes no sense from an outside perspective.

------ Follow up post added January 16th, 2015 05:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Seriously? The first engine was an obvious piece of untested crap and you would send the guy more money for another one?
And he should have demanded his running video then. Didn't and now the time is present. Options are:
1. Lawyer up and spend a lot of money to get a running engine.
2. Spend a lot of money to rebuild it locally and get a running engine.
3. Use credit and logic to return the old engine without spending any actual money(but maybe the $400-1000 estimated to pack, ship, and not work?) and get a running engine.

Option 3 seems the cheapest but involves dealing with a company that he is angry with. He can not give a fuck and spend an outrageous amount of money, he can give a fuck and spend more money than he has already, or he can not give a fuck and spend only a little bit of money.

If he paid $3k for the engine originally and is being asked to pay that for a new one that definitely works and then he'll be refunded for the first engine then he is ultimately returned to his current dollars spent. I don't get this at all. If he just wants to bitch about the company and not solve the problem then carry on with the forum ranting.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:11 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

It's not about just ranting about the problem.

David sold me a bad motor and is now expecting me to incur additional financial costs to make it right.

That's not okay. It's as simple as that.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Some of you guys seem to be bringing emotions into this deal instead of making business decisions that are reasonable for both parties.

It seems to me there have been a number of proposals suggested and none of them are agreeable to the OP. The OP is basing his distrust and current decision making on stories from other people, not first hand experience (short of having a motor that may have been broken upon delivery, which the vendor is trying to make right).

Why not just send the motor back and get a refund all together.......agree to split the shipping........actual shipping cost, not the uhaul cost and all the other crap (surely you know someone with a pickup and pallets are free just about anywhere in the world).

I could go on and on...........
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:25 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
The engine was purchased as good condition, running, with a new timing belt kit fitted.
Agree that you should be made whole by the vendor. However, it might be worth clarifying to some other posters that this engine was not "refurbished" by Urban as and .....
Quote:
Original purchase price was $3000 including freight to my shop. It was shipped to me direct from England.
.... it was dropped shipped from England. So it never touch Urban's hands. Red90's posting Urban's reconditioned blub about checking out the engine at their shop in Atlanta did not apply in this situation.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Fuck it, it cannot be that damn expensive to ship a motor back to Atlanta, can it?
Forget the *crate*, get a free pallet-they are around.
Spend $20-40 on ratchet straps/bolts/tie downs and strap that boat anchor down.
I dont know the deal with Fastenal lately(they may require an actual crate)

How about RuRRing the thing to Atlanta?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:28 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I should have been more clear. It did go through Urban's "refurbishment" process at the time, which consisted of a new timing belt and tensioner, new Britpart thermostat in a box inside the crate, drain the oil, and install a new Britpart oil filter. I don't know if their refurb process has changed since then.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:28 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Edit - broken post. See above.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If it were me I'd pull the head, have it skimmed only if necessary and put it back together with a new head gasket.
Its a fast easy job and can be done in an evening or two after work. 200's are known for head gasket leaks around cyl 4 after 100k or so. IMO replacing the gasket is expected maint. There have been a number of threads about Urban lately and given the distance involved I'd fix it rather than spending any time trying to get satisfaction from the seller through pressure from a forum, which apparently isn't even getting a response, but I'm mechanically inclined and the roll with punches type.
If the head is cracked then sending a head back is considerably cheaper. Just me but I damn sure wouldn't pull the engine back out, I also would never ever install a britpart timing belt,Dayco or OE which was/is made by Dayco . They cost like $15 so just not worth skimping on http://www.paddockspares.com/etc8550....html?___SID=U

The oe/good head gaskets are Elring/Victor Reinz. Again avoid britpart @ all costs. Head gaskets are also around $15 plus shipping
http://www.paddockspares.com/err5261....html?___SID=U

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 16th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
.... I also would never ever install a britpart timing belt,Dayco or OE which was/is made by Dayco .
Britpart only supplies Dayco branded timing belts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi