200Tdi issues - opinions needed - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 12th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

But vendor is in England.

SOL is probable outcome.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2015, 12:21 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
But vendor is in England.

SOL is probable outcome.
are you sure about that
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:23 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

The vendor is in the USA, the engine was drop shipped to me from their source for engines in the UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2015, 12:43 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Supposedly they are checked to see if they run, and a video is taken. I was not sent this video. It's possible that it did run after the timing belt change, but after it was shut off for the last time coolant seeped in the cylinder and allowed it to rust into the mess you see today.
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
how long did the engine sit in your possession?
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:59 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
I purchased a Defender 200Tdi from a forum vendor here about a year and a half ago.
Not to stir the pot, but you have had this in your possession for approximately 1.5 years?
-What was the warranty either stated or implied?
-What warranty did you expect? Time and mileage?

I do not know of a single shop that would not place a time limit on a warranty for a used engine. i.e. 90 days, unlimited mileage -or- 60 days, 5k miles -or-...you name it, but I would not expect it to be 1.5 years unless I was buying from a big name and at a big price.

Did it work upon arrival? We will never know. I imagine if it was demonstrated to have failed immediately the company would stand behind their product as expected.
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:12 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
It's possible that the engine was running...although with a seriously compromised head gasket...when it was strapped to the pallet. If it had water in the bore when it became idle, then sitting for that long would certainly give rust the time it needed to get that bad.
I would say that the vendor can't really be blamed for that. It's up to you to be sure that the part is in servicable condition upon delivery. That means doing the basic checks for compression. You can do that with the engine still on the pallet. If it was ( and clearly is ) bad, that 5 minute check would have revealed the bad cylinder and this thread would't be happening.
Lesson learned the hard way. Repair it and move on with the build.
In hindsight you would probably wanted to pull the head off anyway to put a new gasket on, just to be on the safe side. That would have definitely revealed the issue.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:48 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

There are 2 sides to every story and the length of time the motor sat has to be factored in…However, that engine was f'd up before it was put on a pallet and shipped, so are you guy's saying that it's ok to ship crap and hope that it fails after the warranty period?
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:57 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
No, I am not at all saying it is ok to sell shit. I do believe, however, to protect yourself and the investment, you should perform due diligence to inspect and confirm condition of used engine upon arrival. At 1.5 years out, proving anything is difficult.
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:00 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

There is a decent chance that the effected CON Rods are bent which is a dead stop while rotating the engine with the head off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:01 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Yes, I had the engine for some time to be sure. However, upon receipt it stayed indoors in its crate for the first 2 months, then was taken out of the crate and sat on an old tire inside for another 6 months, then it was dropped into the chassis after I fabbed the mounts, then the project stalled and it sat inside the garage for another several months.

When I installed it in the chassis, I turned the crank back and forth slightly to align the clutch splines. I did not have to spin it around a full revolution to do so and did not discover the problem at the time.

However, when I purchased the engine it was sold with an advertised warranty that stated the 90 day warranty period starts when you get it installed and running. Not from date of purchase.

Bottom line is I was sold a defective engine with a bad head gasket and likely a warped head... the rust is a consequence of the blown head gasket not a consequence of it sitting. If this engine were in as good of shape as it was billed as, it could have sat in my shop for 5 years and then be installed with no problems.
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariHP View Post
There is a decent chance that the effected CON Rods are bent which is a dead stop while rotating the engine with the head off.
He stated it spins fine with the head off plus you can see the piston is coming up fully.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:23 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I will check the piston height tonight with a straight edge, I only eyeballed the height yesterday.
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:52 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Bottom line is I was sold a defective engine with a bad head gasket and likely a warped head... the rust is a consequence of the blown head gasket not a consequence of it sitting. If this engine were in as good of shape as it was billed as, it could have sat in my shop for 5 years and then be installed with no problems.
That's right, you were. However, you took it on faith that it was servicable. That was your mistake in my opinion. If you are the "Professional Services - including pre-purchase inspection" type that you advertise yourself to be then why on earth did you skip that step? If only you had checked it over the moment it arrived you would have caught the fail and been in far better shape to send it back for another without even taking it off the pallet. It is unreasonable to expect that engine to sit for your "5 years", put it in a vehicle, find out it's bad, then complain you got stuck with a lemon.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:58 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

If there was some warranty then yes it sucks as it may have passed.

That being said, I had a 300tdi sit outside for 1.5 years and while I rebuilt it, it didn't nearly look as bad as this 200tdi does.

This looks like it hasn't run in 5 years.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:09 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
It's a difficult situation for sure. I guess the real question is whether or not they actually have an "advertised warranty that stated the 90 day warranty period starts when you get it installed and running. Not from date of purchase."

That seems unbelievable to me that they would make that kind of claim. However, if they actually have that kind of warranty, they should honor it (in my opinion.)
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:14 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
That's right, you were. However, you took it on faith that it was servicable. That was your mistake in my opinion. If you are the "Professional Services - including pre-purchase inspection" type that you advertise yourself to be then why on earth did you skip that step? If only you had checked it over the moment it arrived you would have caught the fail and been in far better shape to send it back for another without even taking it off the pallet. It is unreasonable to expect that engine to sit for your "5 years", put it in a vehicle, find out it's bad, then complain you got stuck with a lemon.
Actually it's not, if the engine was prepared correctly for shipment the only issues would be with seals drying out, not pistons rusting.
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:15 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Yeah I've been searching for evidence of the warranty but I think it's all been redacted.

Enough people have PM'd me about this now that I will just come out and say this engine is from Dave Dearborn at Urban.

He and I have been exchanging emails today and we are working on a resolution.
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:20 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Hope you can work it out...
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:45 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
I will just come out and say this engine is from Dave Dearborn at Urban.
When the shop foreman from Urban delivered Bill's Sanky to Asheville during Overland Expo, we chatted about used parts.
Nice guy who said Urban had lots of good used engines and transmissions.
Perhaps David will swap you even for a good used 200TDI.
Then he can sort out your old engine, make it right and pass it on to someone else.

Just a thought that may help if you haven't considered it already...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi