200Tdi in the desert - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2014, 11:03 PM
javelinadave
-
-

200Tdi in the desert

I took the truck out for a spin this evening and it was hot outside. 102F/39C and via my VDO water temp gauge it was running about 188F instead of the usual 182F. When I jumped on the gas and the turbo wound up it went to 190F pretty quickly. With the motor swap came new
Water pump
Thermostat
Britparts Radiator
Hoses
Taurus electric 2 speed fan

Are my temperatures normal? Any issues to look at/worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
190 when you are getting on it in 100+ ambient sounds outstanding. You are ready for Death Valley.

You must be a hardy soul going for a spin in your soft top 90 when its 103 out.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:16 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You must be a hardy soul going for a spin in your soft top 90 when its 103 out.
Thanks for the sanity check, I would hate to over temp my new motor. Spending most of my life out here 103 doesn't bother me as much as sub freezing temps.

So what would the upper temp limit be? I can't find it anywhere with a google search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2014, 11:25 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Well, strait water boils at 212, but by the time you add coolant and put it under pressure it can go higher. That being said, i start to get nervous at 210, as the margin of error gets slim.

-Jeff
That's what I figured. Its been several decades since taking thermodynamics class and even longer since helping a buddy get thru navy nuke school.
I just found this:
15 psi boiling temperature of a 50/50 coolant blend is 265 degrees. That is hot for coolant.
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:38 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
220 is when all hell broke loose on my 300Tdi adventure to Alaska, and it's my personal red line.

During that ordeal, it went up to 250 on more than one occasion, and the majority of the engine was OK.

Old August 17th, 2014, 12:08 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Yea, but that like saying, 'I'm mostly faithful to my wife'. It still causes problems and gets expensive. -Jeff
Bahahahaha
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:28 AM
leeds
Brendan
1996/110 TDi

If you are concerned about your coolant temperature it might be worth considering something like the Australian Engine Watchdog or the South African Madman gauges with inbuilt audible alarms. Alarm temperature can be preset to your own temperature limit.

Also consider a coolant level alarm. The standard LR temperature gauge is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

An audible alarm is worth having as you do not always keep an eye on a visual gauge.

Brendan
Old August 17th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeds View Post
The standard LR temperature gauge is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
He has a VDO gauge.

Personally, what I did was use a VDO sender (323-026) that has a high temperature switch as well. The switch is wired to a buzzer and light. It goes off at 208 F.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 17th, 2014, 10:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
He has a VDO gauge.

Personally, what I did was use a VDO sender (323-026) that has a high temperature switch as well. The switch is wired to a buzzer and light. It goes off at 208 F.
I have seen those, but never used one.
Was thinking of hooking that high temp switch up to a relay to envoke some big electric pusher fan in front of the radiator, but instead used a thermo-switch that makes contact at 210F and goes off at 195F.
Also wired it to run off the brown circuit so when you stop the vehicle with the engine off the fans will come on and run as needed then shut off.
This is excellent for when you are jumping in and out making stops.

Using a thermo-switch to control electric fans is a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
With the motor swap came new Water pump, Thermostat, Britparts Radiator, Hoses,
Taurus electric 2 speed fan.
The aluminum radiators don't seem to cool as well as the brass copper units (not sure which you have).
Our local shop can rebuild radiators with a larger core with more rows that increases the cooling capacity, although your cooling system sounds like it works really well. Good job!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Those are good numbers. I have an electric fan for the AC which has a temp controlled switch in the rad as well. This way if the AC is off but the rad temps climb it comes on. Really nice for slow climbs. It has an adjustable switch and I keep it at 200. I still have the viscous unit as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi