200Tdi ignition hookup - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Jbirdlott
Jason
1985 LR 90 200TDi

200Tdi ignition hookup

Got my keys and ignition back and of course I removed in haste and thought I could remember how it was connected! :-/

Any guidance will be helpful...

I have four wires;

brown heavy gauge - large connector spade

brown w/ red heavy gauge - large connector spade

White heavy gauge - small connected spade

Two white one w/ black small gauge - small connector spade

I also have push button start with the large white w/ red and small gauge brown.

- On the ignition I only recall four wires being connected.... Using all post except # 4 since. I was able to confirm this recollection since it's the only post with dust and crud. I did find another small white wire with small spade connector and piggy back was connected but didn't know if it came off when I pulled the ignition.

I have searched different threads and couldn't find exact information to my wires and ignition.

Thanks in advance for the assistance gents!!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3482679325.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	89712   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-954026182.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	89713  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2014, 12:14 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

You are in luck as i just had to redo wiring bc of a small fire. Here's my best guess (i didnt take my ignition out so i didnt see the numbers).
Single large brown 5 terminal
White wire 1 terminal
Red/white 4 terminal
Black/white 3 terminal
Brown/brown 2 terminal
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Jbirdlott
Jason
1985 LR 90 200TDi

Thanks! That does seem to be the correct connection for wires! Can someone tell me if I'm missing a small fitting to go over the male end? I took off the back end of ignition and can turn the switch with a screwdriver, I'm thinking the lock smith must have missed a lil part!? The truck won't fire! But heater other aux items run but not my dash lights and what not.Does the ignition need to be grounded in some way? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3954196718.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	89720   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-993682005.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	89721  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
You are missing the knobly bit that fits between the two parts. You should be able to start and drive the truck with a screw driver at this point. No need to ground the housing.

Take a few minutes and double check the wiring and PIN numbers.

The white wire with the red stripe is the "crank" starter wire. If the accessories come on, but the engine won't crank, you can try a momentary jumper between the brown/white wire (hot) and the white/red wire with the key (screwdriver) turned to the "run" position. This will jump past the internal contacts and should crank the engine.

If this doesn't crank the engine, you may have a low battery or some other issues that needs to get sorted.

The advice is worth what you paid for it.
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Jbirdlott
Jason
1985 LR 90 200TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
You are missing the knobly bit that fits between the two parts. You should be able to start and drive the truck with a screw driver at this point. No need to ground the housing. Take a few minutes and double check the wiring and PIN numbers. The white wire with the red stripe is the "crank" starter wire. If the accessories come on, but the engine won't crank, you can try a momentary jumper between the brown/white wire (hot) and the white/red wire with the key (screwdriver) turned to the "run" position. This will jump past the internal contacts and should crank the engine. If this doesn't crank the engine, you may have a low battery or some other issues that needs to get sorted. The advice is worth what you paid for it.

Thanks the lock smith admits to a part falling out! Ha ha he's thinks it's on his work bench!? I've hooked up the wires but still not getting red battery light and other lights on dash. Auxs run and it's cranking even without ignition wires since I have the push button wired. Not sure why I'm not getting a fire? Ugh!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions