200Tdi Fuel Return Line Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:59 PM
LostChord's Avatar
LostChord
Status: Offline
Brian
86 D110 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,313
Registry
200Tdi Fuel Return Line Help

So, the low pressure fuel return line ("banjo fitting") is steady leaking where the rubber? line connects to the banjo at the connection to the injector.

Not sure what caused it, which concerns me, but the line may be cracked based on what I can feel. However, it's injector # 3 behind the breather, so hard to get s good line of sight on it.

How to fix??

Are these barbed fittings at the banjo?

What about the t-connection where it joins up with the other lines?


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:05 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,230
Registry
Do you have the old style with the hard plastic lines? If so, buy a new return line set. The newer style uses rubber hoses between the injectors and works better.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:09 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Do you have the old style with the hard plastic lines? If so, buy a new return line set. The newer style uses rubber hoses between the injectors and works better.
The cloth covered black rubber lines are crap too. I used black nitrile tubing from McMaster and replaced all the spill tubing on several trucks , eliminated the leaks. Need to buy another coil.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:12 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,230
Registry
Yes. But the fittings are better than the old style and what you want. I used 5/32" silicone vacuum hose and spring clips. Will last forever with that in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2772353793.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	143149  
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:12 PM
LostChord's Avatar
LostChord
Status: Offline
Brian
86 D110 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Do you have the old style with the hard plastic lines?...
yes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:17 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,230
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
yes.
The hard nylon line vibrate loose and can get too hot.

The new style with the flexible lines gets past the vibration problem. As above, get that system and replace the cheap hose with something better and it will be good for the rest of time.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:20 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,230
Registry
Err3652
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:27 PM
LostChord's Avatar
LostChord
Status: Offline
Brian
86 D110 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The hard nylon line vibrate loose and can get too hot. The new style with the flexible lines gets past the vibration problem. As above, get that system and replace the cheap hose with something better and it will be good for the rest of time.
Thanks John! - does this new style use the existing fittings?

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2016 08:27 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The cloth covered black rubber lines are crap too. I used black nitrile tubing from McMaster and replaced all the spill tubing on several trucks , eliminated the leaks. Need to buy another coil.
Thanks Doug - love McMaster solutions.

And happy birthday.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:35 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,230
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Thanks John! - does this new style use the existing fittings?
No. See my photo. It is a different design with normal hose barbs. You are buying it for the fancy fittings that connect to the injectors. The line from the engine to the pump is still nylon and you can leave that alone. You just want to replace the three short sections between the injectors at some point.

Oh, make sure to buy the copper banjo washers as well. ERR1304 Need 8 of them.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:53 PM
LostChord's Avatar
LostChord
Status: Offline
Brian
86 D110 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
No. See my photo. It is a different design with normal hose barbs. You are buying it for the fancy fittings that connect to the injectors. The line from the engine to the pump is still nylon and you can leave that alone. You just want to replace the three short sections between the injectors at some point. Oh, make sure to buy the copper banjo washers as well. ERR1304 Need 8 of them.
I think I'm following - just looked it up on rovahafarm and paddock spares. So ERR3652 is one long section and three short sections...I just need the copper washers and use the same banjo bolt to secure it to the injector?

Sorry for the myriad of entry-level questions...trying to make sure I understand what to do and that I have all the parts I need before going back in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:56 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,230
Registry
Yes. Just buy that and bolt it up with new washers.

At some point you can replace the crappy hoses between injectors with something better.

Pull the Ccv cyclone back before installing to make life easier for access.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:57 PM
LostChord's Avatar
LostChord
Status: Offline
Brian
86 D110 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
I think I'm following - just looked it up on rovahafarm and paddock spares. So ERR3652 is one long section and three short sections...I just need the copper washers and use the same banjo bolt to secure it to the injector? Sorry for the myriad of entry-level questions...trying to make sure I understand what to do and that I have all the parts I need before going back in.
John - I found what I was looking for. So yeah, I used the search function on the googles. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2016 08:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yes. Just buy that and bolt it up with new washers. At some point you can replace the crappy hoses between injectors with something better. Pull the Ccv cyclone back before installing to make life easier for access.
Thumbs up - thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel return line popped off DefenderMd Defender Technical Discussions 5 December 20th, 2014 03:48 PM
200Tdi injection fuel return line banjo bolt Apocalypse Vehicle Defender Technical Discussions 8 August 20th, 2013 11:13 AM
Front brake line - why hard line & flex line? jefhuf Defender Technical Discussions 5 January 13th, 2012 09:03 AM
200tdi fuel return advice. tomaco1 Defender Technical Discussions 4 September 1st, 2011 08:04 AM
NAS Fuel Return Line TDI Guy Defender Technical Discussions 4 July 10th, 2010 06:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Copyright