200Tdi Fuel Bleed Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

200Tdi Fuel Bleed Question

While priming with the lift pump I can hear air bubbles in the tank and fuel/air moving through the lines. Should this be the case, should fuel be able to be pumped through the injection pump and back to the tank by manually priming the lift pump without the bleed screw on the filter open?

Also, there is way too much air in the system to account for space, can there be an air leak somewhere without a diesel leak? I can prime the lift pump and continually hear a stream of bubbling in the tank.

The symptoms:
Will idle but stalls under load/up hill, sometimes I can rev it up but typically stalls after. starts again ok if a little rough.

I've just installed a sedimentor, new fuel filter and fuel lines from the sedimentor to fuel filter, and onward to the new lift pump.
Fuel sprays at idle when I crack line at the injectors.

This has been driving me bonkers, Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, the spill rail is what goes back to the tank, so it is possible that you can pump back to the tank using the manual lift pump handle. However, I wouldn't imagine you would have air for very long.

I am wondering if you fuel pickup line from the tank to the lift pump has a crack in it and you are sucking in air.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Well, the spill rail is what goes back to the tank, so it is possible that you can pump back to the tank using the manual lift pump handle. However, I wouldn't imagine you would have air for very long.

I am wondering if you fuel pickup line from the tank to the lift pump has a crack in it and you are sucking in air.

So it's possible to have an air leak on the suction side that wouldn't leak diesel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Sure. The diesel isn't under pressure on that side, it's under vacuum. So the fuel would have no reason to leak out normally. Once you turn the truck off the vacuum goes away, and now you just have equalized pressure on both sides of the line. The rubber seals, and then no leak.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:36 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

Ok, I'll give that a look, thanks for the quick reply.
If anyone has any ideas on anything else to try, please add them, it'll give me a range of things to try tomorrow.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:37 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

The new lift pump that I installed yesterday was the culprit, replaced it with another today, problem solved.
Thanks for the input, appreciated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, bleed, fuel, tdi