200TDI Flywheel resurfacing and dowel pins - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2016, 11:56 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
killin me. Make a template with paper/cardboard from the front locating pins. flip it over to the back side. Drill small holes for punch. Punch them out. If all else fails, grind them off and move on.
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2016, 12:02 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Use a caliper to measure center of dowel and location flip over make mark at that location ..and drill a pilot whole smaller than the pin ..then drive out and that flywheel is cast cuts like butter.
The next one i do ill make a video
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:10 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
I am just hesitant telling anyone how to do their job. He told me that "I have been doing this for 34 years" once already. Apparently he works with a reputable rover shop around town. Lamorna garage?

I suppose you have to create that jig to hold the dowel pin at a very specific position then drill the back of the flywheel?

My concern is how easy it would be to drill that chunk of metal.
A machinist has the provision to do the same job multiple ways depending on which machine is available.

This is very easy mill work and the flywheel is cast steel or iron which is easy to machine.
This is not a difficult job.
Most mills can store the X Y axis of a point.
It is not rocket science to then flip over the flywheel reference it on center and EXACTLY drill the center of the stored X Y points.

On a lathe, the points could be marked off the rotational center circle and then locked and drilled with the correct drilling attachment.
Again nothing difficult.

All you need is the checkbook to cover the work.
Over 90% of the cost will probably be setting up the job, with a small fraction of machining time.

If it were mine, I'd forget the dowels, surface it flat, install it, bolt on a clutch, and drive.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I am just hesitant telling anyone how to do their job. He told me that "I have been doing this for 34 years" once already. Apparently he works with a reputable rover shop around town. Lamorna garage?

I suppose you have to create that jig to hold the dowel pin at a very specific position then drill the back of the flywheel?

My concern is how easy it would be to drill that chunk of metal.
Really easy to solve, and many excellent DIY solutions already posted up.

Go to another shop - at worst you get the same opinion from a second shop, at best you get someone who can do what needs done for you.

If you can't get it solved on your own, bring it down and our machinist can get it done.
Old February 18th, 2016, 02:21 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

I called another place "Brake and Clutch" and he says he should be able to do it without much trouble. Told him about drilling the back and punch it out method. He seemed to know about it.

Dowels are positioned so I suppose they are counter balancing each other. How accurate the holes need to be drilled so that it won't cause any issues with balancing? I know we are talking slow running diesel engine but I don't know much about flywheel balancing hence I am asking to learn.

Thanks all!
Old February 19th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

when its done it will be so worth it

Old February 19th, 2016, 01:34 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I called another place "Brake and Clutch" and he says he should be able to do it without much trouble. Told him about drilling the back and punch it out method. He seemed to know about it.

Dowels are positioned so I suppose they are counter balancing each other. How accurate the holes need to be drilled so that it won't cause any issues with balancing? I know we are talking slow running diesel engine but I don't know much about flywheel balancing hence I am asking to learn.

Thanks all!
That little bit to nil of a change in balancing will not be detrimental to your application.
If it were some high revving race engine, then you want the balancing spot on.
For a TDI with unbalanced rods and pistons, it becomes a non-issue.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, ac, tdi, wheel