200tdi diagnostics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
200tdi diagnostics

So there are a couple of things that I'm trying to shake out with the new swap. I went out today for a drive to see how it did after getting good and warmed up. A few things I noticed...

1) When I came to a stop and sat at idle the oil light came on. It went off again once I gave it just a little bit of gas and stayed off till I stopped again. Yesterday when I was driving it around the light wasn't on.

2) there is a funny noise in the valves I think that I noticed yesterday. I adjusted the tappets to spec last night and it the noise remained today periodically at idle. I will try to get a good audio recording of the noise soon. I just tried and it wasn't there.

3) this engine seems to be vibrating a lot. I have been driving my Nissan truck for a while now so I am not used to all the noise a clanking of a diesel. I'm wondering if someone in the Asheville area or maybe passing through during the holidays with some tdi seat time would be willing to check it out with me?

I assume that #1 and #2 are related to a suspect oil pump. Is it safe to drive or should I park it till I dig into the pump? I saw this thread about the vasoline trick.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48921

Maybe I need to prime it? Or I'm wondering if the new oil pressure sender is sending a different signal than my stock gauge is calibrated for.

Anywho, thanks for any input and happy thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They do not need priming. That is for the V8s. I would get an oil pressure gauge and check actual pressure right away to determine if the pressure is actually low or if it is the switch.

What oil is in it?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Ok that's good to know about priming. I don't have an oil pressure gauge on hand unfortunately. I was hoping to show off my refreshed rig at turkey dinner in the next hour or so. I used this stuff:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3457805334.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	85101  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
That oil is good. Silly question, but I assume you are confident it has enough oil in it. In other words you put in as much as it should have? Just in case the dipstick tube is in wrong.

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Not silly at all. I didn't measure it out but I added almost two of those gallons, which probably came about 6L. When I double checked oil level last night after doing tappets I noticed that it was almost at H so I let a little out.
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Thanks John.

I decided to take the truck out and the light didn't come on at all. I'll keep an eye on it though.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
Thanks John.

I decided to take the truck out and the light didn't come on at all. I'll keep an eye on it though.
Yeah, bulb has burned out now....

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jeff get a new sender. They are cheap. Whats your idle rpm ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 28th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
No, bulb has not burned out. Comes on at start up and goes away as soon as engine is running.

Doug- not sure of rpm, no tach. I'm thinking of getting the VDO gauge and sender for oil pressure so they are in sync.
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:21 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I have read that if the oil pressure warning flickers a bit on the TDIs that there could be an issue with the camshaft bearing. I would make sure to get a good test gauge on there and know for sure.

http://oldcarrot.org/?p=630
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:45 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Second the new sender. The low oil light should never be on, whether at startup, idle, or any other time.

When the low oil light is on - legitimately on - the engine is usually dead within a few thousand miles after the event. Oil starvation to a main or cam bearing means extemely rapid wear. Once those bearings wear, you will get rod knock in the rod bearings or terrible noises coming out of the valvetrain.
Old November 29th, 2013, 07:33 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Suggestions...

Quote:
So there are a couple of things that I'm trying to shake out ...
1) oil light came on.
2) noise in the valves
3) this engine seems to be vibrating a lot.
1.) Good advice to install both a gauge and new warning light.
2.) Noisy valves are generally a loose tappet adjustment, sticking valve (that can bend if the piston hits it), or a bent push rod. Further investigation needed.
3.) Any vibration on a 4 cylinder can indicate a fault with one of the cylinders, but the Rover motor mounts pass a sload of vibration. Have driven nicely running 200TDI transplants in early ROW like yours that vibrate really badly (will have to make a set of custom mounts some day for the 200TDI conversion using the big Mercedes hydraulic mounts, but no time for it right now).

3. Continued) So the real question is the vibration accompanied with violent shaking that is more of an indication of poor running... and is there more or a different color smoke accompanied with these vibes?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The oil pressure warning light swithces are meant to go on @ 7 psi. That said they are a common fail item either through leaking where the connector comes through the plastic or gumming up inside when an engine has been sitting for long periods. Trey's 110 had bee sitting for a decade with only 61k on the odometer. First the switch gave false lows and then started leaking.
http://www.paddockspares.com/prc6387...re-switch.html

Literally a $5 part- should be the same as the one off your 2.5 if you still have that.
If you go vdo make sure you get the dual sender with the warning light provision. I forget how I did it on mine but an adapter is required on the defender 200tdi as there isn't room for the sender to screw into the oil pump and it has to be spaced out a bit.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 9th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
New VDO sender and oil gauge installed.

360-009 sender with 7 psi warning light contact
350-104 gauge 0-80 psi

After driving a bit yesterday the oil pressure never dropped enough to trigger warning light. Oil pressure did drop significantly after engine was warmed up but maintained ~30-40 psi under load. I fitted an elbow to the oil filter housing so that the sender could fit as Doug mentioned. The threads from the stock sender and the new one were different. The new sender used standard 1/8" threads and the stock sender had a metric flavor. I screwed the 1/8" brass elbow in pretty far and haven't seen any leaks there yet.

I got a new 105 amp alternator to replace the 21 year old 45 amp magneti marelli. I took it to a shop and they said bearings were going out. With the new alternator I don't have the ticking noise any more.

This thing is shaping up to be a nice power plant. It has tons more power and I don't feel like I will get run over any more. I feel comfortable on the highway and can even accelerate up hills.

Thanks for your help folks.

Jeff
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
cool,glad to hear it. Living where you do being able to accelerate up a grade is good thing.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Jeff:
The VDO electric gauges can't share (+) or (-) current with any other electrical devices, otherwise you'll get bogus readings.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:56 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
This thing is shaping up to be a nice power plant. It has tons more power and I don't feel like I will get run over any more. I feel comfortable on the highway and can even accelerate up hills.
What changed that got you the new power? My presumption is that the alternator shouldn't matter once running as it is all mechanical.
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:07 PM
speedpin
Adam
1986 110

Registry
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Jeff:
The VDO electric gauges can't share (+) or (-) current with any other electrical devices, otherwise you'll get bogus readings.
IME... The power side does not matter. They are designed to work with variable input voltage. The ground side can be an issue because if there is a voltage difference between the gauge ground and the sender ground, it will show up as a change in the reading.

Old September 8th, 2016, 04:21 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpin View Post
He is still an active member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions