200tdi diagnostics - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 8th, 2016, 05:19 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
IME... The power side does not matter. They are designed to work with variable input voltage. The ground side can be an issue because if there is a voltage difference between the gauge ground and the sender ground, it will show up as a change in the reading.
I know this is a 2013 thread, but
Have experience watching the VDO gauge readings change from (+) current draw.
Here was the scenario:
Green circuit connection gauge reads fine.
Turn on the wiper motor, blower motor, and Lucas electrical defroster held to the flat windscreen with suction cups and the gauge reading falls.
Turn the wiper motor, electrical defroster, and blower motor off and the gauge reading goes back up.
Have no idea what the current draw was.
This was on our MGTD with a 45 Amp alternator upgrade compared to the 20 Amp generator.
Converted the original smiths tach to electrical impulses off the alternator upgrade.
It was cold and at night so the lights and driving lights were on as well.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The changes are from the ground, not the power. I've been through this in great detail with a lot of testing. The supply voltage always changes and that does not affect the readings. The are designed to work for a large range of input voltage.

If you get a slight variation in the grounds, the readings go all over the place. Sharing a ground with a high draw item or having a poor ground between the engine and wherever the gauges ground to, causes the swings as you turn things on and off. All that it take is half a volt variation between grounds and the readings go way off.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2016, 06:02 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Seems plausible considering the age of the vehicle, but with this particular TD there were separate ground wires run...
BUT
Like all the other connections they were grounded to the bulkhead.
If the ground was weak, then turning on and off a lot of items using the ground would rob and restore the bulkhead of (-) voltage.
Seems like a distinct possibility of suffering from a poor ground connection.

The beauty of a place to collaborate is just that... a place to collaborate!

Thanks.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
What changed that got you the new power? My presumption is that the alternator shouldn't matter once running as it is all mechanical.
I think I was comparing the power output to that of the 2.25 that I pulled out of there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions