200tdi Build Question regarding bulkhead fitting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

200tdi Build Question regarding bulkhead fitting

I'm currently mid-build of a 200tdi d90 frame. With the engine and transmission in, my firewall (NA90) hits 2 of the studs, due to it being a NA bulkhead, not the proper 200tdi. It's close, real close, but it just doesn't work. It's also hitting at the clutch slave cylinder gusset, on the transmission bellhousing. Now, my bulkhead is painted (it had to sit outside for a while), so I'm not to eager to cut and weld the opening. I can, but I just wouldn't be too psyched about it (since it's already painted).

So here's where I need your help. I was looking at it, and it's so close, that if I were to remove 2 of the engine/transmission studs (currently I have all 11 filled), and were to grind down the gusset previously mentioned, it would fit without cutting/welding/repainting it. Tell me about how terrible it would be for me to run with 9 mounting points for the engine and transmission. Thanks for your advice!!

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMG_1369.jpg

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMG_1371.jpg

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMG_1368.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1368.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	22302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	22303  

Name:	IMG_1371.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	22304  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2009, 02:47 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Running without the 2 bolts wouldn't be the end of the world...

Over here, if people fit a series transmission onto a Tdi they need to leave out 3 of them.

OK, it was designed to have all in there, so you'd have to bear that in mind.

Were the chassis mounts already in place? that engine does seem rather far back, or is the bulkhead just really "deep"?
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Is the frame a tdi version, or did you add motor mounts for the tdi to a NAS V8 frame. I had no issues using a 300tdi with a V8 bulkhead and V8 frame - I got the mounts (and a template for relocation) from Pendy to relocate the motor mounts. I would suggest that your mounts are to high - can't tell, but may be to far back also, but I would need better photos to compare with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:14 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The motor mounts were my first thought also. Need some more pix please. Plus we just need more pix anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
the problem you are having is due to the fact that you are installing a 200tdi using the v8/300tdi bulkhead. leave the engine and trans alone, get hold of the early floors, tunnel, and seatbox, (or just modify your seatbox, either way its a PITA) then enlarge the opening in the bulkhead to the correct shape. what transmission do you have? you could always get an r380 from a 300tdi setup and mount it to your v8 gearbox frame mounts, that will push the engine further forward more like a 300tdi but will allow you to keep your floors, tunnel, and seatbox unchanged and unmolested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan
I'm currently mid-build of a 200tdi d90 frame. With the engine and transmission in, my firewall (NA90) hits 2 of the studs, due to it being a NA bulkhead, not the proper 200tdi. It's close, real close, but it just doesn't work. It's also hitting at the clutch slave cylinder gusset, on the transmission bellhousing. Now, my bulkhead is painted (it had to sit outside for a while), so I'm not to eager to cut and weld the opening. I can, but I just wouldn't be too psyched about it (since it's already painted).

So here's where I need your help. I was looking at it, and it's so close, that if I were to remove 2 of the engine/transmission studs (currently I have all 11 filled), and were to grind down the gusset previously mentioned, it would fit without cutting/welding/repainting it. Tell me about how terrible it would be for me to run with 9 mounting points for the engine and transmission. Thanks for your advice!!

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMG_1369.jpg

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMG_1371.jpg

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMG_1368.jpg
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would guess that he is using the lt77

The 200 / lt77 combo sit way back close to the bulkhead unlike the r380 / 300tdi combo.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ah yes Dave got it - that bulkhead is supposed to have a much wider hole.

Old October 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

The frame (and mounts) are actually all 200tdi stuff. The frame I purchased from RN years ago, I didn't really know what I wanted when I started the project, so I just bought what they had, which happened to be a 200tdi frame. The mounts are also 200tdi mounts, which took an arm, a leg, and an act of congress to actually get. So, this stuff should all be 200tdi. I was thinking it wouldn't be the end of the world running without those 2 bolts, but I'm still going to have a hell of a time when I have to change the clutch, as the firewall isn't going to let the tranny slide through nice v'easy. I will take more pictures when I go over today...

Follow-up Post:

oh yeah, it is a lt77 setup, not an r380 (but I have one of those too that I'm no longer using). The seat box is going to be a modified series III box (as is some of the body). D90 tub, sIII front end (hopefully). I'm no purist, but please don't chastise me for that...
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
ethan

far from chastising, but...before you modify the seatbox, get the lt77 tunnel bits and mod your seatbox to match those. then cut the firewall for the same. you'll be glad you did and everything will fit correctly. touch up the cut edge with some paint and don't worry about it. Continuing on your current path there are other issues you haven't discovered yet. For instance, the gearbox tunnel that fits your bulkhead in its current configuration will put the hole for the shifters in the wrong place. It will foul the difflock linkage at the rear and be too far over to one side.

here's a link to the parts you need:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-90-...mZ320425091407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan
I'm no purist, but please don't chastise me for that...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tunnel.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	22313  
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Thanks! Good call on the seat box! Just sent them an email..
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

That's not a bad price at all for that tunnel piece... it also looks like it comes with the tunnel_to_bulkhead diaphram (the small piece, about 2" wide)

If they won't ship to the US for any reason, feel free to get it sent to my place (PM me for details) and i'll forward it on to you (don't panic... no charge! apart from your postage from UK to US)
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
ethan

here is someone selling the seatbox you need if you don't feel like modifying yours:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=21927
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Nice. Hopefully I can come up with some cash to grab that. I'd prefer not to cut up my SIII box for some weird reason, so that would be perfect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi