200tdi Bellhousing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
200tdi Bellhousing

I have the 200tdi bolted up to the aluminium adapter plate(I think thats what it called)) It doesn't seem to match up to the bolt holes on the tranny. Are there different bellhousings that attach directly to the tranny, or is that all handled with the Adapter?
I was wondering if anyone can tell from the pics if these are right?
Its a lonshot I know.

Do all LT77s have the 4 allen key bolts that hold the adapter on but don't go through the bellhousing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3208.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	18111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3162.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	18112  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Wait, which holes don't match? In one pic you have the flywheel housing mounted to the engine, and the other pic has the bellhousing on the trans/t-case assembly.

The bellhousing won't mate to the flywheel housing? I'm not an expert on versions and applicaitons of the LT77 trans, so I can't really solve this problem, but I thought I could help clarify the question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I purchased a modified flywheel housing in UK that looks like what you have (4 allen head bolts on the bottom), but it mates to a series III transmission. www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di2.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Are you using the bell housing that came with the engine and tranny or are you using the bell housing from your petrol engine ? The bell housing and clutch cover both look correct and should mate- unless you are using the petrol bell housing in which case two of the studs and one of the locating dowels will need to be removed- when you try to line them up that will be self explanatory.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:55 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
My engine is in the truck still, I'm using the bell housing in the pic that Danny sent me. Looking at one of the posts above, I'm thinking the allen head bolts need to be recessed, I'm not sur the ones I order are going to recess into the adapter.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Wait, which holes don't match? In one pic you have the flywheel housing mounted to the engine, and the other pic has the bellhousing on the trans/t-case assembly.

The bellhousing won't mate to the flywheel housing? I'm not an expert on versions and applicaitons of the LT77 trans, so I can't really solve this problem, but I thought I could help clarify the question.

That is the problem, I think that the mix up was with the 4 allen bolts. There are 3 studs that should go through to the bell housing, and the 4 allen bolts that hold the flywheel housing to the block. Do the 4 allen bolts need to be flush with the edge of the flywheel housing? Or are there cut outs on the bell housing to accomodate the bolt heads?

We thought the allen bolts went through bell/flywheel/into the block. Rookie Mistake.

I can't get to the engine to check until Monday.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
i'm wondering if i was sent all defender parts, flywheel housing, and tranny bellhousing?

Could my flywheel housing be for a Disco200tdi?

could the tranny be from a disco?
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
no difference between a disco and a defender 200 tdi bell housing. sounds like you are making this harder than it is.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'm sure I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what about the flywheel housing that attaches to the engine? Are they the same?
Doug, I just found the latch in the back of my truck, i had forgotten all about it, if your in a hurry I can do it today and try and get it in the mail.
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the aluminum housing that bolts to the back of the block is called the clutch cover on these engines. That is also the same part on disco & defender.

No worries- next week would be cool.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You dont want to call it a flywheel housing...

Old March 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'm just wondering about the 4 lower bolts (allen) and three studs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi