Defender Source Forum banner

200tdi average running temp

9K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  BlueWaterNavy93 
#1 ·
I recently installed a VDO temp gauge and my perception is that the temp is higher that the original gauge. I'm trying to figure out if I'm running warm or I'm in the ball park.

The engine is Defender tdi using the VDO sender.

For instance, tonight the ambient temp is 45 and on a 15 min trip on the highway at 65-70 I am hovering around 180-190. On back roads I'm around 140-160. Even in the winter temps around 20 or 30 I could easily get to 160.

Ever since my RRC overheated years ago I am very cautious.

#3 ·
They have a 190 degree thermostat. That is when it should open. It should run a bit below that. Any lower than 180 and the thermostat is leaking. More than 195 and there is a cooling issue.

#7 ·
Mine was over fueled and used to run hot all the time (I've backed the max fuel screw out 2.5 turns) and now on a 55F day I run 140-160 on the freeway. I did put in a 82C t stat as we have some big hills and hot days here in CA and it helps keep the engine temps below 205F while climbing. I do have AC.

#9 ·
Mine sits at 70c no matter what. That's with a full width ac condenser and an intercooler in front of the radiator and only a small 11 inch electric fan

#12 ·
that, or his engine is underfueled and isn't burning enough fuel to get up to temperature.

more on that later

#11 ·
If I'm cruising at 65-70 I stay mostly at 192 with 195 popping up every now and then. Today I was in traffic all day and it stayed at 185. I have an E fan (set to come on at 195ish) and otherwise stock cooling system.

#13 ·
Thanks this has been a great post.

Today I put the 200 to a new test. 95 ambient temps and bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour. When I reached HH I checked the therm housing with an IR gun. Temp 190. On the way home with no traffic and moving at about 65mph for about 25 mins. Temp 190. Very noticeable that in the hotter afternoon temps acceleration was more sluggish.

#18 · (Edited)
I had to run a heavier wire from the VDO sender and a dedicated ground wire from the VDO gauge to get it to read very close to the temp that my IR gun (-+2°F) readings were showing at the sensor housing. I have built hotter T-stats trying to get my 300tdi to run warmer and cleaner. I'm currently running a 203°F T-stat and it stays just below 200° most of the time.
The factory 192°F T-stats tend to run 10°F colder than they are rated to perform.
Do you know modern Ford diesels run a 215°F stock T-stat? Hotter = cleaner burn.

Just had my annual Opacity test (smog) last week and my engine ran a 0.2%, the state allows me to blow up to 40%.
My opacity is cleaner than most modern high pressure diesels, and my mpg is 23 with a Zf 4HP22 :)

#19 ·
I had to run a heavier wire from the VDO sender and a dedicated ground wire from the VDO gauge to get it to read very close to the temp that my IR gun (-+2°F) readings were showing at the sensor housing. I have built hotter T-stats trying to get my 300tdi to run warmer and cleaner. I'm currently running a 203°F T-stat and it stays just below 200° most of the time. The factory 192°F T-stats tend to run 10°F colder than they are rated to perform. Do you know modern Ford diesels run a 215°F stock T-stat? Hotter = cleaner burn. Just had my annual Opacity test (smog) last week and my engine ran a 0.2%, the state allows me to blow up to 40%. My opacity is cleaner than most modern high pressure diesels, and my mpg is 23 with a Zf 4HP22 :)
Makes sense. I'm still figuring out the misc balances of a tdi. Do higher engine temps correlate to higher/deadly egts?

#20 ·
When I'm driving on the level with no headwind at ~65mph, my EGT's run about 600-800°F. And this is in the mountainous west at about 4500' elevation. Uncle Douglas here will tell you mine are higher than living in the lower elevations of the east or mid-west. My EGT's in the worst conditions run 1150°F.

Also remember we're only talking about running the engine at about 200°F.
If I were to see it getting up over the 210° mark, I'd cut my speed & turn the interior heater on.

#21 ·
When I'm driving on the level with no headwind at ~65mph, my EGT's run about 600-800°F. And this is in the mountainous west at about 4500' elevation. Uncle Douglas here will tell you mine are higher than living in the lower elevations of the east or mid-west. My EGT's in the worst conditions run 1150°F. Also remember we're only talking about running the engine at about 200°F. If I were to see it getting up over the 210° mark, I'd cut my speed & turn the interior heater on.
Good stuff. Thanks

#22 ·
Stupid question of the day!

Would boring out a 200tdi 20/over make it run hotter?

My engine before it was rebuilt use to run cooler, I rebuilt the engine, installed r380 w/higher 5th gear, now seems to run a bit hotter, getting over 200 on the highway, it never did before.

#25 ·
The temperature should be set by the thermostat and whatever controls your fan. Unless running hard enough to need a fan (hard to do) it should sit just below the thermostat opening temperature of 190 F. It then will go up until the fan turns on and should never go higher.

#28 · (Edited)
My truck has been running hot as heck the past couple days too (hence why I found this thread). Like 200-215.... It used to always be 190 regular with 200 if I was killing it on the highway... No other symptoms. It was hot the past couple days but today only like 70-80 and it is still running up there.

I had the alt/WP belt snap on me the other day and the truck got kinda hot before I noticed. Now I am scared it is the head gasket but no smoke, no chuffing, no excess pressure under cap just a bit but goes away when revved, no bubbles in coolant, no oil in coolant, no coolant lose, plenty of power, electric fan. No symptoms other then running a good bit hotter then usual. New radiator, clean coolant, pretty new water pump (but does have a bit of shaft play)

I am going to try replacing the t-stat as it is cheap and easy. Thinking about buying one of trying one of the PN 45778 Stant 180 T-Stat's. I have the 192 here but my truck always ran a bit warmer with it then the Bearmach that is in there. This was before any cooling issues. If that doesn't work test the coolant for CO2.

P.S. Tom truck looks great. I saw you in Montauk today. I saw a bunch of Defenders on the ride out. Bunch of NAS ST and SW's, 2 110 SW's, 2 110 "Beach Runners" but only one like yours.

#31 ·
185 for me as usual. quite solid.

In the 90's here in VA prior to the thunderstorms, I was running as high as 192-193 at idle. Temps always went down to 185 when moving.

I'm operating with the fan shroud and stock fan, not sure if that makes a difference.

My EGTs on the highway with the accelerator pedal to floor, boosting to 0.7ish bar is around 1150 degrees.

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
That's wild. 185 is below the thermostat temp.

.7 bar? Why so low? That is 4 pounds less then factory. I'm running 1.1 (16), feels great. Ill go up to 19-20 with a bigger turbo. I finally turned the main fuel screw up the other day. Truck hustles pretty good now. Pretty strong pull up to 85mph in warm weather.

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2017 08:02 AM ------

PHP:
My truck is seeing 205ish at the max. I got my Egts up to 1250 for a second on the one long gradual uphill on Sunrise. Eastbound. The truck is much more drivable. A pleasure except for the rattles I've been chasing.

That's about right, before this new issue sprung up, that's where I was when I was killing it on the highway trying to hit 85mph. I know the hill you speak of. There is a good one heading westbound too. Stop by one of these days.

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2017 08:05 AM ------

Adam, an indie Rover shop owner I know swears that the slightest play in the WP will cause cooling problems. This was years ago and I still remember him showing me on mine by wiggling the pulley with a screwdriver.

I saw your earlier post last week re excessive heat in these silly east coast temps so I took my 110 out Friday with the heat/humidity over 100. I got up to what looked like op temp(I still have the old original gauges)and checked with an IR gun. Mine was 185@the external t-stat housing as usual.

When do your fans turn on!
You just made my day with this post. I can hear a slight knock noise when I try to wiggle the pulley up and down, def some play. My issue really doesn't feel like a head gasket problem, but I have never had a bad water pump before. I sent the wire for one of those Marks Water Pumps this morning. Not too bad, $80 shipped for an OEM quality part.

I have my fan turn on at 205ish (you can't just set a temp on it). Prior to this new problem it never really turned on. Maybe once while pushing it hard on the beach. I THINK the stock fan clutch locks up a t 205?

I can't find my IR gun. Somewhere in the garage...

#35 ·
With the new Alisport radiator I am holding steady at 185-190 even with the temps in the 90s. My Egt seem high I'm about 700-750 ish just cruising around town at like 40mph. The EGT probe is after the turbo and I'm thinking (based on some quick IR readings that the difference from before/after turbo is about 150 degrees).

I'm thinking of replacing the wing panel so the tdi can get some cool air from the side. Right now the air hose is just hanging around in the engine bay since I disconnected it from the snorkel.

#37 ·
My experience with a Taurus fan, of there is nothing I can do to get above the setpoint of the fan. I just did a 5000 mile trip with dozens of very long, steep climbs at full throttle. I did a similar trip last year while towing a trailer. I have a MadMan gauge, so can see the temperatures exactly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.