200tdi Air conditioning inquiry - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2016, 02:24 PM
dylanh19
Ben
1986 Defender 110

200tdi Air conditioning inquiry

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can help tell me what I have and if they've seen this system/setup before. It was a dual A/C system that I pulled from my 1986 110. The front core/blower sat where the front heater should go and the rear core/blower sat behind the rear bench, on the wheel well. I THINK there is a condensor and fan unit, two cores and two blowers, a compressor, and I think an evaporator, and most of the hoses. There is also a vent system that ran from the rear unit up and over the rear bench seats along the roof liner. It wasn't working at the time, and likely needed re-gassing, and perhaps a tune up, but I don't know for certain.
I have no need for the system anymore, but just wanted to see if anyone can give me any more information on it. The vehicle came from Hong Kong about 10 years ago, and lived in Vancouver for 10 years. I can't see any Land Rover parts markings on any of it, but the system all fit in as snug as a bug, with all mounting brackets appearing to be original and unmodified. The compressor is 'Sanden Corporation Heavy Duty.í
If anyone can tell me anything about the system, particularly what it might be worth? Iím looking to sell it as I do not plan to put it back in my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5355.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	155456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5353.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	155457  

Name:	IMG_5354.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	155458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5356.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	155459  

Name:	IMG_5357.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	155460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5358.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	155461  

Name:	IMG_5359.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	155462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	155463  

Name:	IMG_5362.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	155464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5367.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	155465  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2016, 04:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

That is not factory so aftermarket components that someone fabbed and pieced together.
Where did the compressor mount (my guess is RH side of the engine if you were sitting in the vehicle facing forward).
So there are 2 separate evaporators?
I wish you had taken pictures of it before it was removed.
Can you take pictures of the hoses?
According the my research a split unit has a T-fitting to split the lines with a single compressor/condenser.
There has to be a filter to prevent all the oil from being trapped in the rear evaporator.
Without a filter, the oil will accumulate in the rear and the compressor will burn up.
Am looking in putting a rear unit in our 1983, but researching which unit to use.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 11th, 2016, 07:52 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yeah as Robert says it's not factory. Maybe from some local junkyard there in China.
As to value, it has some due to it being fitted already. Since it's not factory I would guess at maybe a couple hundred bucks.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2016, 09:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I am thinking that grey home made duct work and evaporator box was fitted on the right side of the wheel well with the cross duct along the back seat that blew the air into the back of the vehicle.
If so, since the seat folds forward for cargo and if the space is needed that duct work would either prevent the seat from going forward or it would be left in place and block the cargo area.
Either way, it would be a nuisance.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old August 12th, 2016, 12:25 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike
1985 Defender ex MOD OM617

Registry
I'm looking for an aftermarket AC solution for my 85 exMOD. I live in Phoenix AZ so it's stupid hot here so AC is almost a constitutional right.

Please put me down as first to contact when you figure out a price.

Thanks!
Old August 12th, 2016, 01:31 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNWOLF View Post
I'm looking for an aftermarket AC solution for my 85 exMOD. I live in Phoenix AZ so it's stupid hot here so AC is almost a constitutional right.

Please put me down as first to contact when you figure out a price.

Thanks!
There is a thread here on a group buy for the Diavia under dash AC setups like the NAS vehicles had. Available in LHD or RHD.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi