2007 Dash Swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2011, 04:57 AM
bjlover
Andy
P38

2007 Dash Swap

Hi,

I search for this and found some threads but never got an answer on whether you can actually swap the new 2007 dash onto older 83-86 model defenders? THanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2011, 06:12 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

With some jiggling it will fit. There was a thread on one of the other LR forums not too long ago.

you'll have to glue/weld/mastic down the front vents (or fit the early A/C plastic covers) and somehow try and make the guages/lights work, which are all controlled by the Tdci ECU unit, not "stand alone" like the early V8/Tdi guages.
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM
soturi
Matthew
1984 300tdi

solution for lights: http://www.landroverexpedition.com/t...arning-lights/

...and you could just pop out the gauges and put after market stand alones (VDO).

what's this vent welding you're talking about, jim? you mean the flaps under the windshield?

------ Follow up post added September 26th, 2011 08:48 AM ------

found this one, too. looks a little better: http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrov...-200tdi300tdi/

more sweet electrical wizardry here, too: http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/put...tdi-98649.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Ahhh.....not sure if you're on about the Td5 dash (as per Retro Anaconda's site) or the Puma dash, which is totally different to the classic defender/90/110 dash.

Yes, I'm referring to the vent flaps under the windshield.... the new puma's don't have any flaps there (due to the new fangles HVAC system) but the outline of them is still present on the bulkhead, just not punched out nor are there any "flaps" on them thesedays.
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:25 PM
bjlover
Andy
P38

King of forgot about this thread but I am talking about swap for a 2007-present aka "Puma" dash into a 83-86 90/110. Could it be done and how? Or is the bulkhead totally different and requires the newer bulkhead?
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Problems would primarily include:

Position of gear/TC shifters which is set further back in the Puma to make up for the "forward" dash and HVAC column.

Also, the HVAC in the engine bay may not fit the engine configuration.

Anything can be done, but that would be a really, really big project.

It would probably be easier to just get a Puma bulkhead and go from there.
Old August 30th, 2017, 11:04 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
This is an old thread resurrection but it would be applicable to this thread as well

Seems like a silly question, but based on my experience someone may be able to shed some light here.

I have done retro's TD5 gauge swap (easy peasy) now I am working the warning lights. I noticed last night I am getting some really strange issues and I think I may have used the diagram backwards:

Is this the front view (terminals)
or the rear view (wires in)

I am thinking, now that I have done it, that it is the former and all of my connections are wrong
Old October 15th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Puma Upgrades
Jonathan Bowman
Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlover View Post
Hi,

I search for this and found some threads but never got an answer on whether you can actually swap the new 2007 dash onto older 83-86 model defenders? THanks!

Yes you can and it's very easy.

Here's one we did this week...

Bolts straight onto the existing bulkhead, uses standard gauges and incorporates the HVAC heater / blower.

Takes a couple of days.

JB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash