2003 Range Rover HSE - lock issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM
1995 D90
2003 Range Rover HSE - lock issue

Guys, Sorry this is not a defender question, but was hoping someone might be able to help. A friend of mine has a 2003 RR HSE and went to unlock the truck using the key fob. Car would not unlock using the fob, but could unlock the driver side using the key, but the alarm keeps going off. None of the other doors will unlock. The red light on the fob lights up so I think that battery is okay. Car starts without a problem. Any ideas?

Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:19 PM
1995 D90
L322 key coding

Sounds like he needs to reset the key fob. Tell him to:

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:20 PM
Jackie Treehorn
1985 (legitimately)
owns a MkIII Rangie? my condolences.
All kidding aside, I have one of these and I would not consider owning one without investing in some type of OBDII scan/software. I know some of the real mechanics on here will say Modus or whatever JLRNA uses, but here is my $250 solution.....http://www.rswsolutions.com/
if it's not the lock mechanism and key fob, he's having air suspension inactive messages every other day, so it's a worthwhile thing to have.

I bet Jimmyjamz will know immediately what's wrong but if he doesn't chime in here then try www.rangerovers.net and definitely get some type of code reader for future issues.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:27 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
The battery in the key may have died, or the key is no longer synched... Follow the instructions from Toona or go to Rangerovers.net.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

2003, hse, range rover