200 vs. 300TDI - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Was the design change in the block from the 200 to 300 due to a particular problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The design change was eliminating the ladder frame that the 200 uses to correct issues the the previous generation (2.5td) had. To be honest (without looking) I'm not sure how that was addressed with the 300, but am glad they don't have that damn thing in there any longer.

Sorry about the endless blabble......I generally don't spend this much time typing but due to sailing my KTM into the trees I now have to sit around bored out of my skull while the bones mend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Was the design change in the block from the 200 to 300 due to a particular problem?
theres tons on the internet on the subject but the primaty differences were in the front covers- one used v belts and is kind of a pita to change the timing belt. the 300 uses a serp belt and is very simple to change the timing belt-ie the got smart and designed it to be serviceable. the 300 head was an attempt to quiet the diesel sound. the difference is minimal @ best. not sure what differences there are in the blocks. You can put a serp belt setup on a 200 tdi, you can put a 300 tdi clutch cover on a 200 tdi and bolt a r380 up (requires the rear seal holder be changed as well ). the vacuum pumps are the same, the lift pimps are interchangeable, manifolds are interchangeable......you get the idea. minimal changes many/most parts interchangeable. You can easily assemble a tdi franken engine.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:13 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Yup, that's all very right. I thought Kev was asking about the block differences. I think most of the other changes were not only to make the engine easier to service but easier and more economical to build as well as changing to the similar ancillaries as the V8 which also went serp at the same time allowing more commonality of parts.

------ Follow up post added July 11th, 2011 09:15 AM ------

You can also put the 200 clutch cover on a 300 and bolt it to a short bell housing R380.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:21 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Thanks Matt
You are right, I was only asking about the block. So it was more of a design improvement rather than a fix?
Sorry to hear about your mishap. How did the KTM fare? I got rid of my offroad cycles when I realized how age and injury don't go well together
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Not sure the exact reason for the ladder frame other than to stiffen the block. Not sure why and never really thought that much about it..... I'd imagine with the history of the 2.5td there may have been multiple reasons.

One thing I have noticed about the 200's is the rear main seals seem to like to leak. Then again so do the 300's. I have 3 200's in the shop now and they all leak a bit more than I would call minor. I have 4 300's in and one of them leaks but the others.......one of which has 400k on it ......don't leak a drop.

My 300 blew the check valve out through the vacuum pump cover and leaked quite a lot of oil.......first time I've seen that.

The KTM is fine (I can't believe the abuse these things take). I race the NE championship hare scrambles and GNCC's in the B250 class so I get used to hitting the ground now and then but the damn trees are pretty unforgiving. Just some ribs so I'll back training in a few days, prolly race next week. Your right about the age thing .....but I just can't stop.

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Cove Rover
BARRY JONES
1983 Defender 110

OK how bad are you hurt?
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Not bad enough to not get your rig on the lift this week.

Sorry Red shovel. Didn't mean to hyjack the thread to a MB dumped his bike sob story

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Cove Rover
BARRY JONES
1983 Defender 110

I was not worried about that I meant you are OK and don't need anything. Thanks a lot and mend quickly
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

FWIW the last of the 200's (the very last) has serpentine belts as standard.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
All of this has been good info. My rover just got a rebuilt LT77 and transfer case, so it seemed like a waste to replace them. But the 300 might be the better long term choice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi