200 tdi without the turbo - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
grbec22
Roger Ramjet
1985 "90" no defender's back then.

200 tdi without the turbo

I am running an 85 defender rhd with a 2.5 n/a. It is slow but the engine is relatively new. I have tinkered with the idea of making this a daily driver if I put an engine that could just keep up with traffic. replacing an engine like mine with a 200 tdi I have read puts a lot of stress on the brakes and transmission. Can the LT 77 and the breaks handle the extra torque. I was considering just leaving the turbo off, but am I only getting a mild increase in power that isn't worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:37 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The factory 90's had the LT77 and 200Tdi, with the same brakes as yours already has.

a turbo'd 200 would put stress on a series rover, but not that much, plenty of people run them, or V8's, in a series.

a 200Tdi was designed for a 90 (or a 110,or 130 come to that)

no need to remove the turbo.
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

On my lightweight I put a 200 tdi without the turbo. It runs exceptionally well, with lots of power. One of the problems with the 200 is that the location of the turbo is different for the defender and disco versions - and the defender version is more expensive and harder to source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:20 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

For the past 2 years I've been running a Disco 200Tdi in my 83 HiCap. Everything else is original (except the transfer case, which I changed to a 1.2). It's been great!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Brakes.....Defender brakes are fine when in good condition. I'm also not sure what a bigger engine has to do with the braking requirements??

Gearbox....I would suggest that you import the gearbox with the engine. The LT77S that comes with the 200TDI has better gearing to match the engine over the LT77 that you have now. It also has strength increases that improve long term reliability. If you do keep the current box, make sure it is a "F" suffix and preferably a "G".

Just get a Defender engine and gearbox from a Defender with all of the accessories. Yes it cost a little bit more. With shipping to North America, the cost difference is not that bad. When you do the Disco style route, the amount of work triples and the time and cost to make the custom bits eats away on that cost differential very quickly. If you were in the UK, the math is different. Total install time with all the Defender bits is less than 12 hours with no special tools.
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
grbec22
Roger Ramjet

I thought that the extra torqu might overwhelm the transmission. If I put in a discovery 200tdi into my rhd. What is the biggest concern. I have a lead on an engine for $3k
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There are a few custom items that are required to fit a Disco engine such as the exhaust downpipe, all intake piping, air filter mounting, engine mounts... The Defender 200TDI drops stright in with zero mods.

$3 k is too much for a Disco engine, IMO. You should be able to get a Defender one for $4k with all of the accessories needed, a little more with the gearbox.

In either case make sure that you get ALL needed parts from the donor vehicle. Missing parts eat time and money very quickly. Having al of the correct bit makes life simple.
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbec22 View Post
I thought that the extra torqu might overwhelm the transmission. If I put in a discovery 200tdi into my rhd. What is the biggest concern. I have a lead on an engine for $3k
Don't be afraid of the disco engine if you are a competent do-it-yourselfer... I put a disco 200TDI in my 110 in place of the 2.5TD. The exhaust is the main thing, but there is a company in the UK that makes a direct bolt in part or you can fab one up out of universal elbows from Summit Racing like I did. As others said, intercooler piping and air box location are the other challenges. You can install a 300TDI turbo/exhaust manifold if you want to go LHD but its still a tight fit at the steering column and the exhaust downpipe. But if factory correct is important find the Defender engine. I agree 3k is too high for the disco version...
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM
grbec22
Roger Ramjet

Do you guys know of one person as opposed to that really can put together that type of package.
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

I didn't think that RHD was a concern with the 200tdi disco transplant........
Isn't the steering that gets in the way?
Or is it the clearance to the firewall and exhaust thats the prob?
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If you're willing to pay $4K for an engine, I could probably import an entire vehicle and break it for about $7K if you gave me a bit of time to find one with the engine/transmission in good condition. I'll be in the UK next week and could have a look around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:05 PM
grbec22
Roger Ramjet

what are your thoughts. What is the best setup gearbox/engine. 200/300tdi engine and LT77/R380 gearbox.
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:10 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

R380 either way, a 300TDI will come with one from the factory so that'd make it easier to get your hands on one.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi