200 TDi vs 3.5 V8? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
ok...something is way off with my truck then.

I am going to check timing and valves tomorrow, because 75mph is unreachable for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Depending on wind and road level I suppose. As soon as it gets a smidge uphill I can't believe 75. From Moab to Telluride in a 300tdi 110 it was pedal to the floor 65ish
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
65 is NA territory. A tdi should do 75. That is always my test to see if power is fine.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2014, 08:52 AM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
A lot of guys over here in the UK swapped from V8 to Tdi for competitions. The tdi can be tuned to V8 performance, easier to waterproof and don't need an oil change every 4000 miles...

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Old March 9th, 2014, 08:52 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Come on you guys. By now you should know that everything is better in Calgary.

Road speed are a rather bizzar reference to compare truck "power". Unless they are on the same stretch of road on the same day (atmospheric conditions, this applies particularly to diesels)

Summer time in Maine, whens its hot and sticky a stock 110 with a brand new 300tdi factory crate motor will struggle to maintain highway speeds once you are into the hills. The rest of the year (cooler temps) it will tear along OK.

The biggest complaint I get with the diesels is the noise and vibration. Both can be mitigated to some extent but never to compare with the smooth running and possibly quiet V8.

I have both a stock 95 RRC and a stock 95 RRC 300tdi. The difference in the motors is much more amplified in this setting. Granted the V8 is a fresh(ish) 4.2, and it gets up and goes fairly well, as in you can cruise at 75 comfortably. You can hardly hear it run and definitely can't feel it. The Tdi truck is so much different. Fresh crate motor. Slow, noisy, annoying vibration at low(ish) speeds, again by comparison. It will go along pretty well on the highway but realistically traveling at speeds beyond 75 is working it harder than I care to. It does get close to double the fuel mileage (about 26mpg avg).

I have 4 diesel and two petrol Land Rovers. If I could only have one it would be a V8 because it is just more fun to drive, less of a pain in the arse in winter, and I don't care about the mileage. If I was planning on something for a long range car Id go diesel, but probably Td5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Clearly I opened a bigger can of worms that I intended to... so, here's what I've learned so far:

- For my daily use of the vehicle - hauling stuff around Boston around I-95, looks like the diesel would be better as it almost doubles fuel economy and is more reliable/durable.
- For the monthly trip to VT I will resign myself to 65-75 mph (which has pretty much been the case anyway in the last couple of years as NH troopers have every means imaginable to bust you if you're doing 80) and will need to do some work to insulate for sound, wind, vibration.
- I need to find someone who will be able to tune the engine, juice up the pump and maybe find a bigger intercooler and I'll possibly get 10-20 hp boost.
- For towing, hills, high-loads, they're pretty much the same.
- Lastly, our Canadian friends are unfairly fortunate in that they have a 15 year rule instead of our 25 rule.

Based on all this I'm getting leaning towards the diesel and moving to Calgary. Are we in agreement here?

Did I miss anything?
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post

Based on all this I'm getting leaning towards the diesel and moving to Calgary. Are we in agreement here?

Did I miss anything?
If thats the case you should be after a 300tdi…

Your summary is good, the tdi will grow on you and after a year or so you will wonder why you ever considered a petrol engine. Noise reduction is an art as is water ingress prevention, both things you will become skilled with. I've been able to run 80-85mph with moderate loads in my 130 which is configured in a 100% stock tune. My 110 which has a ported and polished head will do about the same (roof rack and tent add resistance and depute the higher state of tuning it will not do any better) Both trucks prefer to cruise right at 70 - and I haven't seen a speeding ticket in a few years as a result.

As an aside my TD 90 wouldn't do much more than 60 uphill and complained the whole time.
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:03 PM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
But the V8 does sound nice.... Just saying...lol

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

After JoeMcD kindly offered to let me drive his 90 with a 200TDi (and even entrusted me with allowing me to take it on the highway) and getting to around 70 mph without any issues, I'm definitively going after the diesel. Thank you all for your feedback, and special thanks to Joe for going out of his way to let me drive his awesome vehicle!
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:24 PM
JoeMcD
Joe
1988 D90

Registry
Glad you enjoyed the 200TDi, I'm sure your Supercharged sport felt sluggish on the ride home! The TDi isn't fast, but it's certainly adequate. Thanks for stopping by.
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:50 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between a 200tdi pulling Joes 90 and a 110 trying to cope with the hills of VT. You certainly can tweak a Tdi to run with a stock V8 performance, but be prepared to spend most of your driving time trying to manage EGT temps. If you mess it up with a 200 you are in for a world of hurt. Heads are hard to come by and expensive. 300 heads are not a cure.
I've built some killer Tdis. Tear right along with the V8 crowd. Along with that came some considerable expense, some nervous driving (very stressful having to manage those egt's after spending all that time and money) and mileage that suffered. I could tune the thing down to about 15 mpg……….or about the same as the shop Disco V8. An extreme comparison I know, and Id not want to discourage the use of diesel at all, just trying to keep the truth out there.

------ Follow up post added March 10th, 2014 05:51 AM ------

………..or move to Calgary where all the hills point down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old March 10th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Keep in mind he is comparing to a stock 3.5 carb V8..... Which is the same power and torque as a TDI. I did make that clear earlier. If you were comparing to an EFI 3.9 or 4.2, it is a different comparison.

Yes, there are no hills around Calgary....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:51 AM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

There's something about starting the day by reading through a few threads on this site - LOVE IT. It reminds me of another TDI vs V8 perspective nobody has mentioned yet. Why do people drive old, outdated, and often rusty Defenders when the vast majority of folks buy brand new cars every few years and have the latest and greatest? Because there's SO MUCH MORE to a Defender than the sat-nav in my VW CC, or the electronic suspension leveling in my GL320. It's the smile you get on your face when the light turns green and everyone around you races forward while your trusty Defender growls, taking it's time getting to where you want to be. It'll get you there, and you'll enjoy the entire drive. Let everyone else crank up their stress levels, anxiety, and rush from place to place.

All that to say, my personal opinion: the sounds, the smells, the torque, and the overall feel of a diesel really embody this aspect of driving a Defender. It's so much more than just a vehicle. I don't think you'll regret going with the diesel!
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:36 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Keep in mind he is comparing to a stock 3.5 carb V8..... Which is the same power and torque as a TDI. I did make that clear earlier. If you were comparing to an EFI 3.9 or 4.2, it is a different comparison.

Yes, there are no hills around Calgary....
Yup, I got that. The 3.5 bit. I was being very general I suppose.
Crowsnest. Now that's a hill!

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

well, there's something else very personal too: making a statement. the statement im trying to make is " I need a vehicle that can carry three pre-teenage boys and two 100 lb+ bernese mountain dogs through acadia national park, or 3 ft of snow in VT, while respecting the planet". that alone actually narrowed down the number of choices to the defender and something like an AWD Toyota sienna.... and im not driving a Toyota sienna!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TELOS View Post
There's something about starting the day by reading through a few threads on this site - LOVE IT. It reminds me of another TDI vs V8 perspective nobody has mentioned yet. Why do people drive old, outdated, and often rusty Defenders when the vast majority of folks buy brand new cars every few years and have the latest and greatest? Because there's SO MUCH MORE to a Defender than the sat-nav in my VW CC, or the electronic suspension leveling in my GL320. It's the smile you get on your face when the light turns green and everyone around you races forward while your trusty Defender growls, taking it's time getting to where you want to be. It'll get you there, and you'll enjoy the entire drive. Let everyone else crank up their stress levels, anxiety, and rush from place to place.

All that to say, my personal opinion: the sounds, the smells, the torque, and the overall feel of a diesel really embody this aspect of driving a Defender. It's so much more than just a vehicle. I don't think you'll regret going with the diesel!
Old March 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Do you have access to Biodiesel where you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
well, there's something else very personal too: making a statement. the statement im trying to make is " I need a vehicle that can carry three pre-teenage boys and two 100 lb+ bernese mountain dogs through acadia national park, or 3 ft of snow in VT, while respecting the planet". that alone actually narrowed down the number of choices to the defender and something like an AWD Toyota sienna.... and im not driving a Toyota sienna!!!!
Old March 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Yes. In fact one of the companies I serve on the board of makes biodiesel from municipal waste, giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "stinking diesel engine"!!!
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:12 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The company Ive been being BD from makes it from recycled cooking oils from the abundant local seafood restaurants. The exhaust smells like burnt fried clams. Sometimes driving home in my old IIA diesel at the end of a long day it really gets to be too much……… by the time I get home Im hungry enough to eat my own boots.

Old March 11th, 2014, 11:07 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
So based on the responses i got back, i discovered that my lift pump lever was in the "down" position, most likely because i stupidly moved it while rebuilding my truck. I moved the lift pump lever back to the "up" position, and now the truck hits 65 on level roads at WOT, although slight uphills will slow it down considerably. Still i am not complaining about the extra horsepower! Thanks guys for illuminating my issues
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
So based on the responses i got back, i discovered that my lift pump lever was in the "down" position, most likely because i stupidly moved it while rebuilding my truck. I moved the lift pump lever back to the "up" position, and now the truck hits 65 on level roads at WOT, although slight uphills will slow it down considerably. Still i am not complaining about the extra horsepower! Thanks guys for illuminating my issues
huh ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi, v8