200 TDI Suddenly Won't Start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Unhappy 200 TDI Suddenly Won't Start

I have an '84 British spec. d-90 with a 200tdi from a '94 disco. So, it has run great for two years (I had one incident where I had to replace the fuel shutoff solenoid... the truck would occasionally shut down at speed). Excepting that, it always has started right up and run great...its used regularly (a few times a week). Anyway, I ran the truck Sunday, washed it, started it up again after the wash and put it away in the garage. Today, it would not start. It would run for a couple of seconds on the first turn of the ignition and then sputter out. Successive starts would result in no running at all. Leave it awhile, and it would run a couple of seconds again on the first crank of the ignition and thereafter, it would not run at all. I cleaned out the sedimentator (not much sediment in there) and drained the fuel filter (no dirt in there). The filter was replaced less than a year ago (December of 2011). I replaced the fuel pump at the same time (December 2011)as a precaution. I checked the wire going to the fuel shutoff solenoid (it is intact). The starter cranks and the motor seems to be getting fuel, since the fuel filter and the sedimentator were full of fuel when I cleaned / drained them. Didn't notice any water when I drained the filter. Any ideas of what else to check out as a starting point? Anyone have this type of experience? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:33 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
sounds like the cut off solenoid is not working properly, either a case of a defective unit or a bad connection... a diesel engine is the simplest of internal combustion engines you can find...
to start, it needs warm air in chamber, (thus a preheater, glow plugs or ether) a completely sealed fuel system with out leaks and or air in the plumbing and compression..
if you have all of this, it runs... by your description it does not mantain fuel feed thus the possibility of a defective cut off solenoid or somewhere in the circuit... a relay perhaps, since it wants to catch and run I would rule out a fuse... then again I could be wrong...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
First thing, check the lift pump and all of that plumbing. Open the bleed at the filter and crank the engine. Fuel should come out. If not the problem is in that system.

If that is OK, check for power at the shut off solenoid.

After that then check the solenoid itself. You can remove the guts of it to see if that solves the problem. You would then need to stall it to shut it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:11 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks, will follow up with results.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:51 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Follow up... The wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid had a short. Electrical issues are my weak point, so my local mechanic fixed it and I am up and running like new. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, tdi