200 TDI Stalling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

200 TDI Stalling

My 200 TDI started stalling upon start-up about two monts ago. I would just restart and all was good. I thought maybe I was just not allowing the glow plugs to warm sufficiently. After second starting, the car would run fine. About two weeks ago it started stalling more... sometimes I'd have to try two or three times to get it started. And, rarely it started to stall at idle at a stop. I cleaned out the sedimentator and the fuel filter(the filter only had 2,000 miles on it. I drove the car last weekend after cleaning the filter and sedimentator and it ran fine for a longish(50miles) trip. Then it stalled when I got to the end of my journey. Today, the truck stalled about 3 or 4 times upon initial start up. Then it ran OK(slightly rough..barely discernable) and I took it out on the highway. At 60 mph under load(car was in gear) the truck made a strange sound(very quiet pop). Took the truck out of gear and it was stalled. Coasted over to soldier, restarted and continued on local roads and it stalled once more and had a couple of hesitations. The truck made it to its destination and home(about 10 miles) after the highway stalling incident. Any thoughts or ideas? It seems like a fuel issue(maybe an injector issue?). The truck has run great for the first year that I've owned it. I have almost no diesel engine experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

In my experience, if it's an injector issue, generally the problem will be continuous (like a constant misfire, or excessive smoke). I'd take a look at the condition of the fuel system components, specifically seals and connections that may have gotten disturbed. This sounds more like a condition of air being introduced into the fuel system. I haven't spent enough time around these factory fuel systems, but in a lot of older Bosch IP cars (like old VW's And MB's), I've found my fair share of air leaks. Even things like lift pumps can introduce air as seals age. If there is a pocket of air in the system, it could cause this exact symptom. .02.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:06 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks Ethan, that was one of several suspicions I had. I have some old fuel line and perhaps the seal(o ring) on the sedimentator needs replacing. These might be sources of air in the system. What's more, I am dreading draining the 25 year old fuel tank... not concerned about air in the system, as far as that's concerned, but, I can imagine the junk/sediment in there. Someone mentioned bleeding air out of the system after cleaning the sedimentator. Does anyone know how to do that? I don't.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi