200 TDI or 300 TDI conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:33 PM
NikosF
Nick
1995 NAS D-90

200 TDI or 300 TDI conversion

OK - I did the search forum thing - but couldn't get any firm answers.

I'm thinking about buying a LHD 110 ex-MOD in the UK with a 2.5 NAD.

Clearly, a 200 or 300 TDI would be a nice upgrade.

I've seen them being sold on ebay from the UK - for not crazy money.

My question is what does it take to do the actual installation? Is it straightforward, or a nightmare?

Anyone know of any shops in the mid-West (within a NAD's drive of Chicago) that could do such work?

Thanks
Nikos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I would hold out for a 110 with conversion already done. As for the swap it is pretty straight forward, nothing major except for engine mounts that are available for a $100 bucks, they are just weld in. If it has the Lt95 I would upgrade to an Lt77 or even better R380. Your probably easily talking $8k for both. My advice find one with this already done and pay a little more for the 110! My $.02.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:52 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
+1 on getting it with the conversion complete.

If you insist on getting a 2.5 first -- then your best bet is the 200tdi because the mounts are the same as on your 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:59 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
If it has the Lt95 I would upgrade to an Lt77 or even better R380.
Upgrade to an LT77?! Other than an extra gear to row through, I can't imagine what on earth makes it an upgrade v an LT95.
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nick,
I should have covered that when we were on the phone today. I'm happy to install a 200 for you when the time comes. I would recommend against having a conversion done on the other side as we discussed. The motor mount brackets for the 2.5 are correct for the 200tdi. You will want a 1.4 transfer case instead of the 1.6.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

X2 what Doug said.
I have seen some nice conversions done but have also seen some really bad conversions done across the pond. I guess that is true with everything. At least if it is here you can make sure it is done the way you want.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:04 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I put a 200tdi in my LHD exmod 110. Super easy install. Absolutely no fabrication needed IF you have all the correct parts.

For LHD make sure you get a Defender 200tdi with the high turbo.

The early LT77 that came with my exmod did not live long behind my 200tdi. I would recommend using the suffix G or newer LT77 that came with the Defender 200tdi rather than the military box.

If you get a PAS pump with your 200tdi, you can also easily upgrade your exmod with power steering if you're a wimp.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:09 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Is this?

A High Turbo version?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	65455  
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
So what is the usual start to finish cost of a 200 tdi drop in here in the states?

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:36 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
A High Turbo version?
Yup. That's the one you want for a LHD Defender.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:42 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

If you go through a good company in England the job will be done well. Look at Liveridge or Foley, two very good companies who will do pretty much anything you need to your defender and make sure it is in good shape to ship to the U.S. I highly recommend going through one of these two companies, as I did. Very easy to work with and have a huge amount of knowledge and been doing it for years.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
If you go through a good company in England the job will be done well. Look at Liveridge or Foley, two very good companies who will do pretty much anything you need to your defender and make sure it is in good shape to ship to the U.S. I highly recommend going through one of these two companies, as I did. Very easy to work with and have a huge amount of knowledge and been doing it for years.
Foley over Liveridge for sure.
Liveridge cuts a few too many corners IMO
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:12 AM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

200 or 300tdi

I would do the 300tdi... Heck I am doing the 300tdi!

My reasoning:

200tdi easy install... thats it.

300tdi, smoother engine, parts are easy to come by, cheaper.

for what I could get a 200tdi let alone a defender 200tdi I sourced a 300, r380 trans, transfer... fresh take out per say, a little more to do with engine mounts and what not but that can be over come. all this time you spend in and around your truck will save you big time down the road. chances are you'll end needing service from some place other than the one you always use... this knowledge of your vehicle will save you time and money, besides its part of the joy with these old beast.

my 2cents

-Gustaf
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Point wasn't about workmanship. It was about modifying the truck from original and rendering it inelligible for entry into the US.

The 300tdi is a smoother engine ? I call bs. I have had many of each.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

[QUOTE="130Tdi;409885"]

Point wasn't about workmanship. It was about modifying the truck from original and rendering it inelligible for entry into the US.

? Off subject, what modifications would make an older truck inelligible? I have never actually gone through importing a truck, but would like to know what to avoid if ever in the market.
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Foley over Liveridge for sure.
Liveridge cuts a few too many corners IMO
I did notice that, that's why the next one is coming from Foley. But Chris has been fantastic to deal with, even when little things go wrong or I need some advice he has taken the time to talk me through a lot.

But to the 300tdi or 200tdi. I have the 300tdi in my 90 and love it, great little motor on and off road. Some say the like the 200tdi because it is easy to work on, and has a timing chain instead of the belt.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Some say the like the 200tdi because it is easy to work on, and has a timing chain instead of the belt.
Same engines for all intensive purposes. The 300 head and valve train are different. Both have timing belts. The front covers are different and the 300 timing belt is easier to change for that reason.

------ Follow up post added January 30th, 2013 12:15 PM ------

[QUOTE=Brewie212;409889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post

? Off subject, what modifications would make an older truck inelligible? I have never actually gone through importing a truck, but would like to know what to avoid if ever in the market.
There is a whats legal thread in the vehicles for sale section. Depending on the officer handling your import something as simple as putting puma seats in a 1988 truck.could make it inelligible. It is somewhat subjective depending on the officer. For that reason the best way to proceed is to bring in an all original vehicle and pimp it to your hearts content once its here.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupetz View Post
I would do the 300tdi... Heck I am doing the 300tdi!

My reasoning:

200tdi easy install... thats it.

300tdi, smoother engine, parts are easy to come by, cheaper.

for what I could get a 200tdi let alone a defender 200tdi I sourced a 300, r380 trans, transfer... fresh take out per say, a little more to do with engine mounts and what not but that can be over come. all this time you spend in and around your truck will save you big time down the road. chances are you'll end needing service from some place other than the one you always use... this knowledge of your vehicle will save you time and money, besides its part of the joy with these old beast.

my 2cents

-Gustaf
If you're starting with a vehicle originally equipped with a V8 then the 300tdi makes more sense. Otherwise you're looking at a lot more than just motor mounts. You have floors, tunnel, propshafts, etc that are all different and would wipe out any potential cost savings IMHO.
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
There is a whats legal thread in the vehicles for sale section. Depending on the officer handling your import something as simple as putting puma seats in a 1988 truck.could make it inelligible. It is somewhat subjective depending on the officer. For that reason the best way to proceed is to bring in an all original vehicle and pimp it to your hearts content once its here.
This is exactly what I have done; twice now. Low risk, higher initial cost. If you plan to keep the vehicle long term a fresh rebuild by you or a reliable shop in the USA allows you to "reset the odometer" and start fresh. With a galv. frame and rebuilt engine there is no reason why the truck shouldn't be able to run another 25years without another major overhaul.

Personally I feel that the intimacy gained through a full rebuild/restore/upgrade helps build knowledge and confidence for the owner; resulting in better upkeep and preventative maintenance.
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:51 PM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

200tdi 0r 300tdi

True on the tunnel/props, floorboards are easily modified. I guess they are just easy to source.

Or....try putting a 300 where a 200 would easily fit, search around on the Internet, some crazed english farmers do it. came across a write up/picture post telling you all thats needed to do it.

All Interesting but my money is still with the 300/r380 combo. I've either built or lived with 3.9, 4.6, 19j TD, 200, 300, TD5, 2.8, Puma defenders and its still just the best, user friendly, economical setup.

Anyway you choose owning a land rover is an adventure and not all of them you need to leave your driveway for. So have fun with your truck & conversion.

Cheers,

-Gustaf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, conversion, tdi