200 tdi not starting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

200 tdi not starting

I am having no luck getting my new/rebuilt 200 tdi to fire up. I have gone through the fuel system and comfirmed all is good. I pulled an injector and confirmed fuel spray. My question is this I feel the spray and the puff out of the cylinder about a second apart. Almost feels like it is on the down stroke. I have sprayed WD-40 laced with a whiff of starting spray and the engine fires so I know the valve train is right. Is it possible the timing on the pump is off and what is involved in checking it out? I suppose pulling the timing cover is the answer I will get unless anyone has any other ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like the timing is completely off (maybe one turn out). Have you read the manual on setting the timing? You do not need to pull the cover. There is an access port for the timing pin and adjustment.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

I don't have a manual for the 200 or the pump, but that is good news on the port and adjustment

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2010, 04:58 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

^^^^ What red90 says...

on the flywheel housing, remove the drain plug and look up into the hole. when the crank is at TDC, there should be a "slot" in the flywheel that aligns with the drain plug hole.

There's a special part for locking this flywheel slot, but just get another drain plug, drill a hole through the center (a lathe makes it perfectly central) and poke through a 6mm drill bit (turn it around so that the blunt end touches the flywheel, it'll lock in better....you could also push it into place then dab a spot of weld to hold the drill bit into the drain bung, that way you'll have the depth set correctly)

Then on the front of the engine, pull the trangle-ish shaped cover off of the FIP pulley. you should be able to insert a 10mm drill bit in through the hole (careful, as there's several places the drillbit can poke into, making you thinkg it's all ok, but the "proper" hole is about 1.5" deep, so the drillbit will really push in far...that's the one you want.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting, tdi