200 Tdi Good News/Bad News - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

200 Tdi Good News/Bad News

I have about 40,000 miles on the rebuilt 200 Tdi in my D90. A few days ago I noticed that it was overheating intermittently. The needle would go up almost to the red, then it would drop to normal. As luck would have it, I was on the way to Tractor Supply to get antifreeze to winterize my boat, so I topped it up, and it ran at normal temp on the way home.

It's losing coolant via the overflow. With the cap off I can hear bubbling, and when I rev the engine coolant belches (maybe I should say pukes) out from the reservoir. Before tearing into the engine to replace the head gasket, I used a NAPA Block Tester to test for exhaust gas in the coolant. Negative, so it apparently is not a blown head gasket, which is the good news, I guess.

The bad news is that I don't know what to look for next. The temperature gauge shows normal, so nothing should be boiling, yet there is gas bubbling out through the reservoir.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Would have guessed an air bubble during filling-creating a 'lock' so to speak, but certainly not after 40k...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:50 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Could your radiator be clogged?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I suppose it could. It's puzzling that I have bubbles when the temperature is normal. I guess there could be a hot spot somewhere in the system. I think it might be instructive to start from cold and see if it's bubbling then.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Unhook the radiator and take out the thermostat and blow water through the motor and radiator on a reverse pattern of flow. Do it until the water is totally clean. It may solve your problem and even if not, it is a great thing to do. I got tons of crap out of mine. Runs much cooler now even without the fan on.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'd still go for the head gasket. Pressurized coolant, overheating......I wouldn't take the chance, it doesn't take much of a leak to pressurize the system. It's a quick job (head gasket) really and you don't want to have to replace the head which will go bad pretty fast when overheating.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Make sure you always check the piston height. The 200TDI head gasket failures I've seen have a bent con rod.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:34 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Disco or Defender 200tdi? When I put the Disco 200tdi in I had to swap out the coolant temp sensor for the one that was in the 2.5TD. Apparently there are are several types. Could be that you actually are overheating even if the gauge reads normal...
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover
Disco or Defender 200tdi? When I put the Disco 200tdi in I had to swap out the coolant temp sensor for the one that was in the 2.5TD. Apparently there are are several types. Could be that you actually are overheating even if the gauge reads normal...
Defender. I think the gauge is okay, because it reads appropriately throughout it's range. Everything has been working fine for years, until suddenly I notived overheating and coolant loss.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
news, tdi