200 tdi electric dip stick or block heater - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2014, 10:58 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

200 tdi electric dip stick or block heater

Well, I've burned out one starter this winter trying to start my diesel in extreme cold. Has anyone purchased / used an electric dipstick or magnetic block heater or other similar product. Any details on preferences and also ease of installation details would be appreciated since I've never used any of these type products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A lower radiator hose heater is the easiest to install and works well. A frost plug heater works the best, but you need to pull the manifolds.

I would not use any of the other types on this engine.

You should check your glow plugs and timing as well as it should still start right away at pretty much any temperature.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:25 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

200 tdi block heater

Starts instantaneously in warm weather, runs smooth. Starts fairly quickly down to about mid twenties. Below that, it is a slow start. Thanks for the advice. Just had at mechanics to install new starter. Will ask about glow plugs. Sorry for the ignorance, but does anyone know the diameter of the lower radiator hose on the 200 tdi. I am not at home and would like to order on line today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It should fire on first crank at 20. That is not very cold.

As in slow to turn over? If that is the case, I would suspect you need a better battery. What oil are you using?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Have you tested the glow plugs to see if they are still working?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I'll tell you something, I got one of the stick-on sump heaters that Steve H./ pabrit wrote up when he was still writing for LRO magazine about 10 years ago and it has been great.

5 minutes
to install(clean thoroughly & stick it).

Every time we have sub 20*F nights I plug my tired old 3.9 in so we don't have to start cold!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:06 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
Starts instantaneously in warm weather, runs smooth. Starts fairly quickly down to about mid twenties. Below that, it is a slow start. Thanks for the advice.
Have fixed similar issues with 200/300 TDIs.
There are 4 basic scenarios related to the antifreeze, fuel system, battery, and the glow plug controller.

One thing that happens when the IP gets worn, is that it does not produce enough pressure to pop off the injectors when being spun by the starter, but will otherwise run fine once it starts. In cold weather when the starter is struggling to spin a cold engine, this could be one cause.

The other as already suggested is burned out glow plugs. Even 1 burned out glow plug can render some engines (but not others) unstartable in temps under 20deg F. DO NOT remove the glow plugs to test them, because if they are stuck in the head and working just fine, they will break when you start wrenching on them. You can use an amp gauge or meter, but the easiest way to test them is to unscrew the factory wiring and run a wire from each individual glow plug separately and touch it to the (+) battery terminal while it is still on the battery. If the stripped wire end flashes a spark while being dragged across the terminal, then the glow plug is drawing current indicating it works. If there is no spark, the glow plug needs to be replaced and must be carefully removed without breaking off the tip. Broken tips are hard to remove. The worst case is the head has to be removed to get the broken tips out.

If all the glow plugs are good. Have the battery checked or get a battery with higher cranking amps. A weak battery or one that is underrated will prevent you from a cold start. We also supply an adjustable glow plug controller that lets you adjust a longer glow duration in the winter and a shorter in the summer by twisting an adjustable knob to set the time anywhere from 2 - 120 seconds.

Check the antifreeze. If it is too diluted, then It could be partially freezing causing the water pump to drag down the rotation as it spins in a slurpee like liquid.

Installing some type of engine heater may only mask one of the above issues.
When it went down to about 12 deg F, started a 200TDI without any glow at all, so yours should start with all the right out of the box features unless your engine has other issues like those above or something else like low compression or a slight overnight bleed down in the fuel system that lets air in that is not noticed once the engine starts and runs after spinning it over and over again to bleed out the air. A 12V fuel pump and sedimenter will go a long way to eliminate this problem.

Hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks very much. Great suggestions. Will follow - up.

------ Follow up post added February 26th, 2014 10:48 PM ------

Jeff-
Sent an email on pan heater.
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:47 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Not to hijack the thread, but my block heater is mounted in the forward freeze plug hole. Is that a problem?

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater, tdi