200 tdi altitude adjustment!? Colorado - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Jbirdlott
Jason
1985 LR 90 200TDi

200 tdi altitude adjustment!? Colorado

Couple questions:

Drove my sea level 90 out to Summit County Colorado!

I believe it was some what tuned i.e. Was blowing black "coal". I removed the muffler and strait piped it, even more power!

Now, I still have power up here at 9k plus ft. But the boost gauge isn't moving and it is about a 25% decrees as a-posed to sea level.

I read some where, you can turn up injector pump and turbo?

Does this make it operate at similar torque levels as down on the low land?

Is it simple job? Should I be aware of exhaust temp?

Thanks all, in advance!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbirdlott View Post
Is it simple job? Should I be aware of exhaust temp?
YES! Install an EGT before F'ng with anything.

This is an interesting question on altitude adjustment of mechanical TDI IP's. I'm curious to hear what people have to say, particular our CO brothers.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Your boost gauge isn't moving at all?

I see essentially no difference in the amount of boost my 200tdi makes whether it's in Denver or at 11,000', it's about 13.5 psi fully spooled up.

What you do get at altitude is more turbo lag.

I've not messed with my fuel or boost settings, and I can still see EGTs of around 1350 on a hot day on a steep grade. I wouldn't want it any hotter than that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Black smoke usually mean too much fuel. High elevation mean much less oxygen. Last thing you want to do is increase the fuel to the engine. Excess fuel raises exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) which is VERY bad for turbo chargers and cylinder heads.

You mention no turbo boost, have you checked your turbo hoses ? Are they all intact, clamps tight ? Here again the black smoke could mean your internal turbo seals are shot & the turbo oil is going out the exhaust pipe along with hot exhaust gases creating the black smoke.

To properly drive a diesel with manual injector pump (like ours), you MUST have an EGT gauge if you don't want things to get damaged and to get your best mileage.
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Jbirdlott
Jason
1985 LR 90 200TDi

Thanks ..thanks all. Maybe that's just what I'm experiencing "turbo" lag. Just not as punchy up here, if that makes sense. I def won't be touching it anytime soon. Like to do a bigger intercooler first and the temp gauge first, as suggested.

This is a boost gauge I'm looking at correct? It was running on the highway at 0.5.

Thanks for info!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-783544382.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	77295  
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Jbirdlott
Jason
1985 LR 90 200TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Black smoke usually mean too much fuel. High elevation mean much less oxygen. Last thing you want to do is increase the fuel to the engine. Excess fuel raises exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) which is VERY bad for turbo chargers and cylinder heads.

You mention no turbo boost, have you checked your turbo hoses ? Are they all intact, clamps tight ? Here again the black smoke could mean your internal turbo seals are shot & the turbo oil is going out the exhaust pipe along with hot exhaust gases creating the black smoke.

Thanks!

So pull the intake hose/ exhaust and check for oil? It's been running this rich since I bought it. I was figuring the prior owner turned up the fuel. Is it gonna reck the turbo if seals aren't dont soon? I haven't been babying the thing since I got it...?
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

IF you have a standard Bosch injector pump, the fuel screw on it is the one with a piece of round metal smashed onto it. You'll need a slotted screw driver and a 12 or 13 mm wrench. Turning down the fuel delivery means turning that screw counter clockwise when viewed from the screw tip. I would start by turning it 1/4 turn downward (counter clockwise). The maybe a quarter turn more. This screw changes the fuel delivery A-LOT !! I live at 5000 feet and I turned mine down, from the factory setting, 1/8th of a turn & I get no smoke.

Do not neglect getting an EGT gauge !!
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to look at the boost gauge only at fuel throttle above 2000 rpm. You should be getting close to 1. If not, something is not adjusted properly. Altitude is not as huge a hit with a turbo engine as the engine will be seeing 1.7 bar (absolute) instead of 2.0. The turbo might run out of poop eventually and run out of its compression range. You can adjust the wastegate a bit or run a boost controller to push the boost up a bit to match the absolute pressure at seas level. In my 200 though the boost diaphragm runs out of travel so controlling the fueling at the higher boost gets complicated,

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Jbirdlott
Jason
1985 LR 90 200TDi

Thanks all!

I do have some oil near the intake end of the turbo. If this is in fact the seals... Will this lead to the turbo eventually killing out. And if so will this cause a pressure lock in the engine cause major damage?

Thanks for your time!
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Little oil is of no concern really it could be coming from the oil breather hose from the separator on the head of the engine, right side.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions