2" OME Lift Before/After Pics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up 2" OME Lift Before/After Pics

With the recent resugence of questions about the OME lift I thought I would post this info for anyone interested...

This is my 1997 D90 ST going from stock suspension to a 2" OME Lift + 285/75/r16s on stock alloys. I made this change about 6 months ago, but thought I would post for reference.

If I had been planning this out a little better I would have replicated the same camera angle for the pics.... but these will give you some idea of the transformation.

Pics #0 & 1 show the truck with original suspension and tires after 10 years and 27,000 miles.

Pic #2 shows the HD Front, MD Rear setup installed. I selected all "passenger side" springs to minimize any potential listing to either side, though it is debatable whether this would truley make any difference. Additionally, I used rubberized spring isolators in rear, and rubber shock mounting securing rings in front. The rubber elements add approx 0.5" to the lift all the way around.

Pic #3 shows the addition of 285/75/r16 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs on stock alloys. Damn I love these tires...

The net result of the springs, rubber isolators, and new tires was approx. 3.0"

Initial thoughts:

I was happy with the height of my ride prior to the install but wanted to fit some larger, more aggressive tires. Plenty of feedback from the forum said that 285/75 would fit on the stock setup, but I decided to alter the suspension to maintain “visual” balance with the bigger tires…. Once the new suspension was fitted with my stock tires, I did initially have a feeling of “oh s*%$!, I didn’t think it would be this tall”…. But, once I had the new tires installed I was convinced that every D90 out there should look like this…

Handling (Onroad):

On-road handling has been dramatically better. I was concerned that the OME solution would yield an uncomfortable ride on the streets, and I enjoy hard fast turns around town. I was truly shocked when I drove it for the first time out—what a massive improvement! It corners firmly and eats up speed bumps. I wish I would have done this the day I purchased my D90!

Other issues:

- No drive line vibrations, though others have reported them.

- I have not replaced my brake lines, and do not need to. But I plan to do so at next service interval.

- There has been a noticeable loss of power off the line caused by the increased tire size. I imagine this could be remedied by choosing a narrower tire, but I love the stance of the 285/75s.

- Steering stops needed to be adjusted to correct for the wider tires—I didn’t like the feeling of rubbing on the front radius arms, but other members on the forum have said they prefer to hear/feel when to stop turning rather than put the excess stress on the power steering system.

- Speedometer reads approx. 3 miles less than actual speed at 65mph.

Hope this helps someone out there looking for info… I was skeptical about what the possible negatives were before I made the changes, but in my case I couldn’t be happier with the results. Looks and performance are greatly improved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	11019   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	11020  

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	11021   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	11022  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Looking real nice! I think I may do the same lift as mine.. I have 285/75/16s on it now.. eventually i'll do a bigger lift and 315/75s but I want to keep it still mild for now.. What made you chose the MD rear/HD front spring setup for it? And what spring numbers / shock #s did you get?
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

The HD Front/MD Rear setup seemed to be the most popular solution for the ST. It was also highly recommended by the guys at Expedition Exchange where I purchased the parts. Check out their website at https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.htm for info on the springs and shocks--they also have the rubber isolators and shock mounting rings. Their logic made sense to me and has proven to be sound. From my own experience I would not recommend going any firmer on the rear springs unless you carry cargo in the rear all the time. The MD springs are perfect for my gear when I hit the trail... but they also dont prop up the ass-end of the tuck like a hot rod when I'm just driving around town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Paul - Looks good. I too run 285 MTRs and quite happy with them. Give that bully in the back seat some rubs for me. I have two and they love to ride in the 90. Mark
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I see that you can still fit in the garage. I wish I could.

It looks much better. I also agree with the ride characteristics.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Yep, Syd loves cruising in the back with the top off! Usually leaves a healthy amount of slobber and fur on the seat, but I can't complain.... Every Land Rover should come with a Bulldog!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	11033  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions