2.8TGV Cooling question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2015, 08:38 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

2.8TGV Cooling question

This will also apply to the 300Tdi so hopefully some of you guys have seen this before.
Last weekend I changed my timing belt, which necessitates draining the coolant if
you take out the grill and radiator like I did.

Since then the temperature gauge has gone about halfway up to what used to be normal when driving and drops off to nothing at idle. I've run the heater and parked on a steep hill
to be sure any bubble towards the heater core and back of the engine would burp out.
Same thing again on test drive. Pretty sure the t-stat is opening cause the upper heater hose has hot coolant in it, as do the heater hoses going back to the heater core.

Looking for ideas? T-stat? Water pump? Something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
first confirm you don't have a loose sender connection on the t-stat housing. if your upper hose gets hot then it sounds like your t-stat is working.

also, if there is no liquid in the t-stat housing, then it will read low. did you fill from the expansion tank?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:17 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

Hi Mark,

Yes, I filled from the expansion with the normal fill, run, let cool, check level, fill cycle until I thought it was good. I didn't see the sender anywhere on the t-stat housing. To tell the truth it's been 9 or 10 years since I put this engine in and I can't remember where the temp sender is. I'll find that and check the connection though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

How are you letting the air out of the top of the radiator?
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:53 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

Hi Greg.
Since the t-stat housing is higher than the radiator cap I don't think I've had any air to let out. I cracked the cap and loosened a couple of turns and just coolant is coming out.
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

At least you are letting it out. Sorry to say but some people expect it to come out the expansion tank like on a US vehicle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions