2.8 vs 300TDI Injectors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2015, 07:03 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

2.8 vs 300TDI Injectors

Friends in Germany have located a cache of the 2.8 Diesel Injectors which are identical in appearance to the 300TDI Injectors.

These are the same price as the 300TDI injectors: $289.99 a set.

In the Mercedes world, it is considered an upgrade by some to install injectors from a higher displacement engine.

I would think the IP determines the pressure and spray duration while the Injector itself determines the spray pattern and pop-off pressure.

Knowing this I am wondering if there is any demand for these injectors in USA and/or would there be any benefit to installing the 2.8 injectors in the 300TDI.
The injector holders are identical, but the nozzles are different part numbers.

Thoughts...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
My 2.8 injectors are out right now with a bosch shop for a clean and test. Just heard they passed. Picking them up tomorrow. If you need pics, numbers or any technical info, let me know before they go back in tomorrow night.

They use the same copper washers (base and spill) as the 300 tdi as well, btw.

Rob, Steve at Safari has quite a bit of 2.8 biz and he's stockpiling spares. You may want to collaborate with him as well.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
In the Mercedes world, it is considered an upgrade by some to install injectors from a higher displacement engine.

I would think the IP determines the pressure and spray duration while the Injector itself determines the spray pattern and pop-off pressure.
Larger nozzles let you have a shorter injection time, which allows more power. It also lets you increase the injection amount without increasing the injection time. Overall it allows more power than with the smaller nozzles.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2015, 07:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
My 2.8 injectors are out right now with a bosch shop for a clean and test. Just heard they passed. Picking them up tomorrow. If you need pics, numbers or any technical info, let me know before they go back in tomorrow night.

They use the same copper washers (base and spill) as the 300 tdi as well, btw.

Rob, Steve at Safari has quite a bit of 2.8 biz and he's stockpiling spares. You may want to collaborate with him as well.
I should call Steve, but know his plate is full right now with acquiring RDS.

Ask your folks at Bosch how much a new set costs and PM the answer if they provide it.
Also could you please verify that the pop-off for the 2.8 injector (0 432 193 532) is 201 bar while the 300 TDI (0 432 193 835) is 200 bar.

Thanks Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Larger nozzles let you have a shorter injection time, which allows more power. It also lets you increase the injection amount without increasing the injection time. Overall it allows more power than with the smaller nozzles.
John, you're a wealth of knowledge.
After reading your post, I think the 2.8 injector is worth trying in a 300TDI because it may yield better performance.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old May 20th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
John. you're a wealth of knowledge.
I think what you are saying is the 2.8 injector is worth trying in a 300TDI because it may yield better performance.
Possibly. It would be nice to know the specs. In the VW diesel scene, there are dozen different nozzles you can swap on depending on your setup. These are all the same type of injectors. I did one day try to look into performance nozzles for the LR TDIs as they appear the same physical size as the VW nozzles.

http://www.kermatdi.com/-vw-nozzles-and-injectors/

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:34 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Possibly. It would be nice to know the specs. In the VW diesel scene, there are dozen different nozzles you can swap on depending on your setup. These are all the same type of injectors. I did one day try to look into performance nozzles for the LR TDIs as they appear the same physical size as the VW nozzles.

Fuel System & Camshafts - Nozzles - KermaTDI
Yes have seen chatter about this on some of the WV forums.
We just got our daughter's Jetta driving after an engine rebuild.

Would also think that anyone who upgraded to the 2.8 Turbo on the 300TDI would benefit from the 2.8 injectors as well.

Old May 20th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
I should call Steve, but know his plate is full right now with acquiring RDS.
I've spoken with him almost every day this week since Saturday. He's available. He just ordered a bunch of stuff from M&D.

As for cost, I think a new complete injector is like $450ish. My Bosch shop can get new nozzles for about $115.

Old May 20th, 2015, 10:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I've spoken with him almost every day this week since Saturday. He's available. He just ordered a bunch of stuff from M&D.

As for cost, I think a new complete injector is like $450ish. My Bosch shop can get new nozzles for about $115.
I can get 4 new ones out of Germany for $289.99.
No shipping as they are hand carried by friends who travel in and out.

Old May 20th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As a cost comparison, SafariHP is charging me $970 for 4 new genuine 300 injectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:39 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

This would be a nice upgrade if they fit. I am looking for recon or new injectors, so if they fit the 300 I would be in for a set

Some good info: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=85172

http://gershon.ucoz.com/BOSCH/DIESEL...DISM-K0001.pdf
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:42 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
This would be a nice upgrade if they fit. I am looking for recon or new injectors, so if they fit the 300 I would be in for a set

Some good info: Injectors for a 2.8TGV - Defender Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum
there is no physical difference between 2.8 and 300 injectors. it's just the nozzle settings.

Old May 21st, 2015, 11:52 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
there is no physical difference between 2.8 and 300 injectors. it's just the nozzle settings.
I looked up the part number and looks like they are all 200bar opening pressure, though there is one made by MAXION that doesn't have a opening pressure to it.

KBAL 90 P 37 0 432 193 631 MAXION
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Per my bosch shop, opening is 201 bar.

Old May 28th, 2015, 08:10 AM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I looked up the part number and looks like they are all 200bar opening pressure, though there is one made by MAXION that doesn't have a opening pressure to it.

KBAL 90 P 37 0 432 193 631 MAXION
Maxion was like a detuned 300Tdi that MWM made for the South American market and fitted to other (non Land Rover) vehicles there.

Santiago from Argentina (I think he's on here, he's on the AULRO forum sometimes) said it didn't have a very good reputation.

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2015 10:13 PM ------

Quote:
Which means you can run less advance and lower combustion pressures for the same power.

Having just freshly rebuilt a 300Tdi due to having a cracked piston from too high combustion pressures (I'm guessing) from running near maximum fueling and more advance, the 2.8 injector could be a good thing.

I just bought new 300Tdi injectors from Turners, 2.8 ones from M&D were too exxy for me at the time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi