2.8 TGV Timing belt - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

2.8 TGV Timing belt

I have a little over 40K miles on my 2.8L TGV and I'm thinking about changing
the timing belt. I know I have about 30K miles before I really have to worry about
it but I'm trying to plan ahead. My first is about availability, is it the same as the 300Tdi
or will I have to source it elsewhere? Also, if it is the same, what about quality? Is one
as good as any or is there a specific brand I should find. I'd appreciate any info/opinions.

As an aside, I think some people have asked about experience with this engine. Mine
has been almost 100% positive. The only trouble I've had is at about the 4K mile mark,
the fuel filter was half full of water and that caused fuel starvation. It was certainly more
a comment on my inexperience with diesel than anything with this engine. My fuel economy
has consistently been 23-25 mpg and it has at least as much power as the V8 ever did.
Offroad experience has been 100% positive. Some of you will be familiar with Elephant Hill
in Canyonlands. With stock gearing and stock suspension I idled up and down both sides.

Thanks
Bryan
95 NAS D90 2.8L TGV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

bump
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Hello Bryan,

This subject was recently covered in the Argentine LR Forum when somebody asked if the timing belts for the 2.8 TGV and the 300 Tdi are the same.
Let me summarise the most important comments made from a LR owner with excellent knowledge about LR mechanics:

a) the timing belt for the 2.8 TGV and the original (sold by LR) timing belt for the 300Tdi engine are the same but...

b) there are several other timing belts (other brands) being sold in South America for the 300Tdi engine and for the "Maxion" engines (almost exactly the same engines that were made in South America to power ford rangers, small chevrolet pick-up's , etc). These timing belts look exactly the same (size, shape,etc) but apparently do not have the same codes and are of inferior quality (last less).

c) Because of this some people are buying the 2.8 TGV timing belt at official Ford Dealers (Ford sells them as a replacement part for older Ford Rangers equipped with the 2.8 TGV engine) instaead of alternative 300 Tdi timing belts.

d) I have been told that the box of the 2.8 timing belt says:

international
ERR1092 A
Brasuqueiña

e) I will of course buy the original 2.8 TGV timming belt at a Ford dealer when I replace the timing belt in my 2.8 engine.

Do you have the possibility to buy the Brazilian timing belt for the 2.8 engine at Ford dealers in the states?

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Santiago

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions