2.8 TGV performance tweaks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
2.8 TGV performance tweaks

Post up here what you've done to improve on your 2.8 performance!

Santiago, you go first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2011, 01:41 AM
defeyago
Santiago
´96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
I´m off my house on a trip for a couple of days and since the list is pretty long I´d rather write up later on when I´ll have the time to do it right. I will, I promise. In the meanwhile I wouldn´t bother to hear other guys opinions also.

My engine, anyways, is a stock 2.5 300Tdi with some "periphericals" from the 2.8HS TGV and other tweaks.

Cheers,
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
´94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
full width intercooler, moderately tweaked fuel and smoke. I've converted to aluminum coolant tank and fuel return/breather. But that's more ricer.

Other than that, I've put the truck on a weight diet lately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
full width intercooler, moderately tweaked fuel and smoke. I've converted to aluminum coolant tank and fuel return/breather. But that's more ricer.

Other than that, I've put the truck on a weight diet lately.
I tweaked the timing a little bit (advanced) with the new belt.......probably didn't notice eh? I thought it smoked less, and revved a little quicker.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:45 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Matt, to advance the timing did you do it inside the FIP or a full notch on the belt? Haven't looked at doing this at all but I'm increasingly thinking I might have slipped a tooth or something; I've checked nearly everything else I can think of and while it'll be a bit early I figure changing the belt would give me a chance to check that as well.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
I tweaked the timing a little bit (advanced) with the new belt.......probably didn't notice eh? I thought it smoked less, and revved a little quicker.
Didn't even notice over the pulley squeal..

Kidding. I do notice a smoke difference.

I've also been fine tuning the trans kickdown and throttle cable positioning. The kickdown vibrates out of position over a few hundred/thousand miles and you lose the sweetspot on the pedal.

Old August 26th, 2011, 08:44 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
Didn't even notice over the pulley squeal..

yeah, what was up with that. I thought it went away. Shitty quality serp belt I thought, or did the tensioner go bad.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:59 PM
defeyago
Santiago
´96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Sorry guys for the delay.

Mi engine is a plain stock 300Tdi that has had its first rebuild at 50.000 miles ago. The tweaking it has is the following:

.- New refurbished Garret VNT Turbo from the 2.8HS TGV engine (Mercosur´s Ford Ranger). The turbo is set to open at low RPMs and blow to peaks of 1.5bar (22PSI). Some pieces where fabricated to make it look like it was stock from factory.
.- Injection pump from the same engine mentioned before and tweaked on almost every screw it has....
.- Full size Intercooler in front of water radiator (home made using the IC core from the 3.0E Powerstroke engine from Mercosur´s Ford Ranger). It´s one big intercooler.
.- Silicon Hoses all around to not loose any boost.
.- Bigger Air filter than stock to let the air flow better as with this set-up it sucks up a lot of air now. I´ve used an Europiclón EP300 from MANN.
.- All intake hoses have been braided on the outside for them not be sucked in at full throttle.
.- Upgraded and almost free-flow exhaust 2.5" wide all the way from turbo to the tail.
.- Water radiator upgraded to 5 rows core and with "tropical mod" on it.
.- EGT, water, turbo, etc gauges to check on everything.

Cheers,
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
´94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions