2.8 PS vs. 300 TDI Reliability - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2006, 02:51 AM
esacrown
Ephraim Atwal
1995 D90 Fastback

Question 2.8 PS vs. 300 TDI Reliability

Does anybody have long-term experience with either a 2.8PS and/or a 300TDI, enough to generate an opinion as to the reliability of these engines. I have spoken to a few people who have testified that the allure of the 2.8 with its high numbers is obvious, but the availability of parts for the 300 makes it a better long term choice. I am interested in the the 2.8 for its road performance, but concerned about servicing it. I definately want a diesel, and Im stuck on the fence. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I have a 300 Tdi and I love it's on and off road performance. My truck has about 80k miles on it and I've recently had to replace the alternator, idler pulley and water pump. While that sucks, I don't really think that's abnormal for a truck with 80k miles on it.

All of these replacement parts were OEM and were easily sourced with a couple of phone calls (RDS, Pendy, TLR) and none were really expensive. I don't know much about the 2.8 though.
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have had no problems with my 300tdi. IMO they will both be realiable and powerful engines... I think it is like comparing apples and oranges. If you have the cash to drop and can source the parts go with the 2.8l. If you have a little less cash and appricate having slightly easier parts avaliability go for the 300. you'll be happy with either...
Run biodiesel though!!! I realize it is not a long term national solution, but it feels good not to support the middle east and the thieves we call oil cheveron, shell, exxon, and bp
I have the feeling in 5 years heads are going to roll for their recent behavior....
i'll step off my soap box now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2006, 01:16 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Many parts interchange between the two engines. I do not think parts availability will be a problem.

There are other things to consider. What vehicle are you trying to convert? What drivetrain?

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:36 PM
esacrown
Ephraim Atwal
1995 D90 Fastback

It's a '95 NAS D90 with high mileage.
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

What size tires do you think your long term plans involve? Do you want to consider changing to automatic transmission at the same time? Is it a station wagon or soft top? Are you pushing for MPG or faster highway speeds?

JP

Old September 16th, 2006, 10:59 PM
esacrown
Ephraim Atwal
1995 D90 Fastback

I was thinking about 32-33 inch tires. I have a soft top and I am keeping the manual tranny. I was thinking more along the lines of pickup/general power off the clutch. Is there a difference in the mpg and/or highway speeds between the two?
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:06 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You would probably be happy with a 300 tdi in my opinion. The wieght of a station wagon, and its approach to the wind at highway speeds are a demand on power. Large tire size is a demand on power (35<). The 2.8L TGV steps in to take up the slack with more power under more demanding use. Its turbo design is suted to an auto transmission as well. And the price difference is almost a wash when you are considering new.
So your listed requirements do not really call out for more power. And less demand for power can equal more MPG as well. Hope this helps, not really an in depth look at your project but maybe an overview.

JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi