2.8 charging issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
2.8 charging issue

So here's a recent electrickery issue that's I'm stumbling through. a few weeks ago my alternator started acting up. when I start my truck, there is no movement in the voltage, and my tach is dead. It stays that way when I start driving til I get about 2500 rpm or so, then it comes alive, as well as the tach. it'll stay that way til I shut down. When I start back up, same thing. it's consistent.

Any idea? I just replaced the regulator with a fresh one. no change.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Loose connection or shorted wire? Just guessing. I don't like messing with wires.
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Sounds like an internal diode failure or too much resistance in the power cable. What voltage are you seeing before 2500 rpm? After?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
just battery voltage. 12.4-5 volt. then it pups right up to 14. doing research it sounds like there is an issue with the exciter curcuit for the low voltage lamp, and I dont think my warning lamp has ever worked. Im goung to trace it down today.

Old July 20th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Resolved! Got a great self education on how an alternator works in the charging system. Turns out my D+ connection from alternator to Low Voltage Warning Light broke at the connector on the alternator. So no warning lamp illumination when you turn ignition to position II, and then no immediate jump in voltage after start combined with warning lamp extinguishing is the symptom for loss of continuity to D+.

Quick replacement of the female connector and I'm good to go. (it's a beeyoch to get to D+ on a 2.8 btw with that vacuum pump in the way).

Another symptom-resolution combo in my tool chest.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions