2.5td Turbo Whine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 31st, 2016, 01:48 PM
Oasisplayer311
Eric Hayes
2003 D2

2.5td Turbo Whine

So my newest rebuilt turbo has some play in the prop shaft which I'm not sure is good or not. It only makes a strange whine at the top end, and the play in the propeller is slight.

Not sure if I should be worried or not, new fuel diaphragm and the air pipe to the turbo was free of diesel. Turbo sounds fine unless I'm running 70 with my foot pressed down to the floor, or hitting really high revs.

Honestly just trying to make it back to TN from CO, and would love to not worry about this till I get back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2016, 02:08 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
No way to diagnose by way of fingers. If your impeller isn't hitting the walls of the turbo, it's all you can do.

If you're worried, then just unscrew the wastegate and drop the boost to low levels - 1-2 psi or so.

What boost pressure were you running the turbo at?

Either way, just dump the exhaust through the wastegate and ride it home.

If your impeller isn't hitting the walls of the turbo, it will last a trip from CO to TN at low boost levels with no problems. The takeaway is this: The probability of destroying your turbocharger is an exponential function of impeller velocity. Impeller velocity is a complex but increasing function of boost pressure and airflow. If you have any suspicion or fear of turbocharger failure at any point and want to minimize additional damage, then you must simply reduce the boost pressure.
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:22 PM
Oasisplayer311
Eric Hayes
2003 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
No way to diagnose by way of fingers. If your impeller isn't hitting the walls of the turbo, it's all you can do. If you're worried, then just unscrew the wastegate and drop the boost to low levels - 1-2 psi or so. What boost pressure were you running the turbo at? Either way, just dump the exhaust through the wastegate and ride it home. If your impeller isn't hitting the walls of the turbo, it will last a trip from CO to TN at low boost levels with no problems.
Low boost would be turning the waste gate to the "left" (extending the waste hate arm) correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2016, 02:26 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasisplayer311 View Post
Low boost would be turning the waste gate to the "left" (extending the waste hate arm) correct?
I can't remember which direction reduces the boost, but it's whichever direction reduces the pressure against the wastegate flap.

If you **CAREFULLY** remove the wastegate c-clip (it will go flying if you're not careful, and when it goes flying, it flies to wastegate c-clip heaven), then pull off the wastegate actuator from the flapper arm. When the wastegate flapper swings away from the hotside, it's open, and you just want to make it easier for the flapper to open.
Old July 31st, 2016, 03:05 PM
Oasisplayer311
Eric Hayes
2003 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I can't remember which direction reduces the boost, but it's whichever direction reduces the pressure against the wastegate flap. If you **CAREFULLY** remove the wastegate c-clip (it will go flying if you're not careful, and when it goes flying, it flies to wastegate c-clip heaven), then pull off the wastegate actuator from the flapper arm. When the wastegate flapper swings away from the hotside, it's open, and you just want to make it easier for the flapper to open.
Yeah, that stupid c-clip lol. Whenever I pulled it off, extending the arm gives it "less" resistance, so I'm guessing that's reducing the boost. Key word here "guessing"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions