2.5TD Rebuild Advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2016, 08:07 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
2.5TD Rebuild Advice

I have decided to rebuild my 2.5TD. It has about 130,00 miles on it and runs well, only smokes a bit on startup but leaks oil all over the place. The oil leaks is the main reason I want to rebuild it.

After trying to resolve the leaks which included adding a catch can before the air filter and even "patching" with some JB Weld, it still leaks.

I've read about swapping out for a 200TDI but I don't want to spend the money on an entire engine ($5-6K) and I would like to do the rebuild myself.

I have done all the mechanical work of this truck including changing the timing belt and water pump etc. but have never attempted a complete rebuild. I have all the tools but would have to purchase an engine hoist to remove the engine.

What I would appreciate is any advice from those who have done a rebuild on this engine. What parts, need to be replaced? Does the engine have to be bored?

Any other suggestions such as tools, or online references, manuals etc. that would help?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2016, 08:39 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
My suggestion is to consider living with the leaks, buy a 300tdi to rebuild and do the swap when everything is built, tested and easy to drop in.

The TD's have a higher failure rating than the 200's and parts are probably equally as difficult to source.

This is how I would look at it economically:

1. Buy a 300 lump
2. Break it down and rebuild = Valuable Learning
3. Overall Value of your truck jumps = to your cost of the the engine swap
4. Do the gaskets on the TD and sell it to someone with less ambition to help recoup your costs of the 300 swap.
5. Less downtime = Happy Camper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:53 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Thanks for the great suggestions.

I thought of living with the leaks. The only real issue is at my house when I park the truck on the driveway, which is gray interlocking brick surface, it leaves black stains. I have a mat I put down to reduce that, but its a pain. When I go to my son's house, which has an asphalt driveway I would have to carry the mat with me. Anywhere else, I just leave stains in the parking lot of Home Depot etc. I was even looking at putting some kind of pan under the engine/transmission to catch the oil but there is no simple way to mount it.

What gaskets do you suggest replacing? Would replacing the gaskets get rid of the oil leaks?

Perhaps, rebuilding 300 would be worth it both from an experience perspective and value of the truck. Would I need to change any other parts to put in a 300. e.g. transmission, engine mounts etc.?

Regards,

Richard
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2016, 09:16 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

The 300 is a great engine and the conversion would most likely increase the value of your truck but you will need to add/change the radiator for one with an inter-cooler etc. The bolt pattern for the bellhousing is different so modification/change of the transmission will be required. A lot goes into any engine conversion plus you may still have the cost of rebuilding the replacement engine. I think rebuilding either your engine, or another like it will be your least expensive option. It is a simple engine and any good machine shop should be able to do the machining required. If rebuilt properly it should last a long time...after all your TD has lasted 130k. You will be replacing both the front and rear main seals and all the gaskets. New rings will mean less blow-by so there will be a lot less oil leaks. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:36 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The only thing I do is put a hook on the 2.5N/A & 2.5 TD and replace it with something more powerful.
If you want to do a rebuild, rebuild something that will transform the vehicle into a drivable state.
The 2.5N/A & 2.5 TD are dangerous to drive on a modern highway.
When pulling out, be careful a car 5 miles back might run into the back of you.

My daily driver is an Isuzu 2.8 TD from a European Trooper.
It's a 4JB1-T and NOT a big box truck engine.
With an intercooler and dialed in fuel setting matched to a manual boost controller, at 15PSI boost the speed increases about 10 MPH per second.
Performance is about 180 HP with about 200 ft lbs of torque.
Getting better than 30 MPG.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:30 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Richard, if I were to just guess it sounds like you probably have a bad/advanced rear main leak. Getting that seal redone is IMO still worth the investment if it gives you the time to do the right things the first time. If your chassis is in good order as well as the bulkhead and t-posts are in good order then I think you should consider a full engine upgrade.

My 200tdi swap literally just got to the point where it was ready to crank up for the first time last night.

My swap entailed adding power steering, some mild front horn chassis repairs, all upper and lower end gaskets/seals/freeze plugs, new main bearings and some upper end valve work. It is not A weekend or two job. There were a ton parts to identify, order and wait to arrive along the way. There is greater than 70+ man hours
in my project when you count research and parts ordering time.

Something to think about and get conversations started with as you decide what's best for you and your Rover.

Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:42 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I purchased a TD last year and rebuilt it. The motor had only 70,000 miles when I pulled it down. The cylinders measured out standard with no ridge. The head was a boat anchor, this engine got hot sometime in its life. The rebuild was fairly easy. I put new bearings, pistons and new head. The big expense was the head. I installed an aftermarket intercooler. I know people say don't do this but I've noticed a big difference in pyrometer temps. Pushing the engine on a hill climb it doesn't get over 900 degrees. I took care of all my leaks with permatex. The engine runs like a dream. I don't push or abuse it. Change the oil regularly. I'm running a LT77 with a 1.6 transfer case with 285 /75/16s. It runs comfortable at 60-65 mph. I know it's not a TDI but compared to the NA . I enjoy driving it. Parts are easy to get Rovah Farm has anything you need and Trevor is great to deal with.
Old January 12th, 2016, 04:06 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Thanks guys.

I think I will attempt the rebuild. My truck is for fun and "ego". It really turns people's heads. They think its cool.

It doesn't appear this engine was abused so I am hopeful it will only require new pistons, rings, bearings and lots of gaskets!

Bruce I have purchased lots of stuff from Trevor and bent his ear a few times. He was very helpful and considerate of some of my naivety.

Ideally I wish there was a step by step guide to pulling out the engine and rebuilding but I suspect this is going to be a "learning experience". I believe I will have to have the cylinder walls bored or honed which involve outside services but I think most of the rest of the work is disassembly and assembly.

Any advice for things to watch for or do while doing the rebuild? I think I will put in a new clutch at the same time I have the engine out. I have the Lt77 transmission. I already changed the timing belt and water pump so those are new.

I will need to buy an engine hoist. Any suggestions on which one?
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:28 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I borrowed my shop crane from a neighbor, But think it came from harbor freight. The Job pulling the engine is pretty straight forward. I would pull my floor and center tunnel panels. That will give you full access to all the nuts and bolts. I used a tie down strap attached to the frame rails to hold the transmission and transfer case in place. If I can be of any further help. Drop me a note.
Old January 17th, 2016, 10:27 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
power wash the engine, identify origin of leaks repair as necessary. needless to say gaskets are the leak point and cheap, labor to access those gaskets is the costly part.
rather than rebuild, reseal.
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Richard,

If you get the "Workshop Manual Ninety One Ten Defender" publication #SLR621ENWM Edition 2 it contains Defender Workshop Manual Supplement SLR621ENWS1 and SLR621ENWS2 published by Brookalnds Books LTD

It covers all petrol and diesel models 1983 to end of 1992. Just follow the order of how the book is laid out to R&R your engine.

I found I had to go back and forth between the 2.50 diesel section and the 200TDI section because the 2.5DT is an intermediary engine. There is no "section" just for it.

IIRC I got mine at Dingocroft; Defender including 90, 110, 127 &130 Page 1

Top one with gray cover.
Blog;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, rebuild