2.5td heavy breather - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
2.5td heavy breather

Hi lads,
I have a 2.5 td engine (19J) and would like to know if anyone can help with heavy breathing. It seems like the engine is building air pressure and that pressure needs to go out of the engine anyway. It smokes out of the oil dipstick and breather heavily. The block had been rebored twice and seems to be crack free with new pistons and rings. The head gasket just changed and the head had been overhauled. On it's first test drive (about 50km in different speeds and not over 80km/h) and this breathing thing is worrying me. Maybe it will get better on with time? As if any rover product does that! Anyway, I would like to get your advices.
Jeff
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Google Provent. You will need to remove the oil pan and weld in a return line for this style crankcase breather.

Good Luck

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

You can also drain into a catch can. But you'd have to monitor/drain it periodically, and that could be a hassle depending upon how much oil is being collected. On the 2.8, the stock cyclone drain is Tee'd into the dipstick tube so that could be another alternative. I'm either going to use that or the turbo drain depending upon where the ProVent ends up. I think you have an NA so that would eliminate the turbo drain option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
You can also drain into a catch can. But you'd have to monitor/drain it periodically, and that could be a hassle depending upon how much oil is being collected. On the 2.8, the stock cyclone drain is Tee'd into the dipstick tube so that could be another alternative. I'm either going to use that or the turbo drain depending upon where the ProVent ends up. I think you have an NA so that would eliminate the turbo drain option.

Ryan you can use the drain for the vacuum pump also!

Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Cool! Didn't even realize there was an oil feed to the vacuum pump. Thanks!
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
You think it could be possible that the pressure building can be cause by a servo brake leak? I mean the vaccum pump on the engine might suck air contiously by a air leak in the servo? Then building pressure inside the engine that could blow oil and s%I#? My brakes seems to have a little problem too. I just restore the 110 and the brakes are hard to activate. I had a series III before and the brakes were shitty. Are all land-rover brake's that hard? Are you able to lock all 4 wheels without having to put all your weight (200lbs) on the pedal? So you see that theorie runs in my mind. What do you think lads?
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Your brakes do not use engine vacuum now on the diesel. So that is not the case.
There is a seperate vacuum pump that supplies the servo now.

Old July 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

You sure the turbo is not pressurizing the crankcase?

There shouldn't be this kind of pressure with the stock breather system, so I'd be inclined to find out what the issue is before adding things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I think it is resiction (sp) crankcase pressure, lost compression pushing oil vapor into the intake system and overworking the PCV system. I have seen it a number of times. Heavily worked engines often do this.

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Pendy you mean that 300tdi and td5 are not using the engine vaccum to boost the brakes? mine's got a tube from the engine to the servobrakes.Anyway, I'll take your advise lads and get to work on that engine. I mean the engine runs sweetly and it's a powerfull unit. I only had a series 2.25petrol before but this is kicking! I think it worth the pain.
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Your 2.5 NA uses a vacuum pump as well. It may look like a breather to you but it is a vacuum pump.

You can make the PCV system you need from scrap parts. Just research it a bit online and create you own. Glad to hear you like the engines power in your truck. Hope this works out for you.

Thats the real trick isn't it? To be happy with what you got.

Old July 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Thats the real trick isn't it? To be happy with what you got.
Heavy breathers?
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Heavy breathers?

He is happy with his 2.5 NA while everyone else wants to stick a cummins 6bt in there D.

Old July 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
oh, agreed. sorry just a lame attempt at humor...

waka waka

Quote:
He is happy with his 2.5 NA while everyone else wants to stick a cummins 6bt in there D.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Years ago the 2.25 in my Series 3 started building preasure and blowing oil and smoke out of the oil filler tube. Ended up being some broken piston rings. Funny thing is it ran well and had plenty of.... well, normal power.

You say you have new pistons and rings after a rebore. Maybe the rings haven't seated properly?

Brett
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:06 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
I think it is resiction (sp) crankcase pressure, lost compression pushing oil vapor into the intake system and overworking the PCV system. I have seen it a number of times. Heavily worked engines often do this.
Yup, gotcha....I thought it said 2.5td (thats TD)in the guys avitar and that those have a history of pressurizing the crank through the turbo as well as generally having all kinds of turbo related issues.

Also says that he just rebuilt the motor? so should have good compression one would hope, altough perhaps a little blowby pressurizing the crankcase while the new rings seat in? In which case it should improve in short order.

If indeed it is a 2.5NA then there shouldn't be hardly any pressure in the crank at all without there being something wrong (excessive blowby, failed head gasket) that would warrant a looky see rather that an improvement in PCV system (assuming the PCV system to be functioning well to start with).

side note; The Mann Provent (that the Pendy mentions) is pretty much a bolt in with the 2.5NA/TD with only a simple mount needed to be fabbed /modified as the inlet / outlet and drain hoses of the existing PCV system are all the same spec as the Mann unit, and the drain return in the oil pan is already in place. The Provent is a nice upgrade, but not a cure for excessive crankcase pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old July 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
. The Provent is a nice upgrade, but not a cure for excessive crankcase pressure.
Agreed

Cylinder leakage test is where I would go if It seemed excessive.

Follow-up Post:

I have seen at least two different upgrades on MOD versions of the PCV for 2.5NA. So I have always considered it a weakness of those engine. blowbye-

Old July 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
I have seen at least two different upgrades on MOD versions of the PCV for 2.5NA. So I have always considered it a weakness of those engine. blowbye-
Having not experienced this issue with these (the 2.5NA) I would have to defer to your greater experience with them and would be curious as to the upgrades the MOD use.

Great little motor as far as I am concerned. Gets me around just fine in my daily heap..........although I had been thinking about a mid mounted 6BT with dual turbo's, as soon as I get the dual rear wheel set up worked out.

Old April 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Finally cure the problem. I done an engine overall. New camshaft roller and tappets. New push rods. New bearing all over and seals. New pistons and rings as well as a new Lucas fuel injection pump, etc.... Main problem? Wrong piston rings!!! But hey! Now I shall work like a new one.. It is a new one! I will post pictures later on..
Thanks for your advices!

Jeff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions