2.5na stop solenoid - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2016, 10:27 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
2.5na stop solenoid

I have gone through two stop solenoids in 2.5 years w/ one failing as my truck idled this morning. Wondering if there is anything with the injector pump that could be causing this.

My first one was a newer white box one that came on the truck. After it melted, I quickly bought and installed the same aftermarket style one (mfd by Flag Diesel) but went looking for a better one. I located an oem Delphi unit which appears to be a much higher quality product w/ a heavier crimp, etc., but didn't install it. Carried it as a spare...came in handy today.

Could an internal issue with the pump pressurize the fuel at the solenoid? Can't see how from the cutaways...

Running voltage is normal and engine grounds are good so I don't think that is a problem.

Or, is this just the further manifestation of the occasionally craptastic quality of some aftermarket parts?
..tolerant Wife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:24 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Take the old one to a John Deer tractor supply with an older parts guy who can match it up with the more robust one that they have.
Also think your ignition switch is suffering from burnt contacts or other items added on to the on position that are drawing power (or both).

The better option is to replace the entire slow 2.5 N/A engine if your budget is there.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Do you use an additive in your diesel? We know the fuel conditions are all wrong for these tractor components so is it possible that the fuel quality is causing issues? I use this stuff in my fuel http://stanadyneadditives.com/lubricity-formula/.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 10:59 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Thanks both.

I had an OEM Delphi unit as a spare, it is now on the truck, I got it from Oregon Fuel Injection for $62 vs. $200+ for the LR branded OE part or ~$20 for white box.

The ignition switch thought is great as I have had an intermitted non-start when the key was turned. The glow plug light lit, the brake check relay clicked but the starter relay would not engage or seemed to do so weakly, not the loud 'clack' you'd expect. I checked/serviced all grounds, the ignition and feed connections to the (new) starter, etc. and all seemed fine. Guess I am looking at a new switch. Known to be a weak spot.

I also use the Stanadyne lubricity additive. Thx.

I am considering the 200tdi upgrade, however this is a newly rebuilt 2.5 and a good engine for what it is. Yes it is slow, but for this truck's use, it is adequate. The 3-4 trips to the Cape on 495 are slow, but not too bad..just time the trips and drive on. Heck, I actually passed a few cars the last time.
..tolerant Wife...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags