2.5 TD trouble - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

2.5 TD trouble

I have a 90 with a 2.5 NA that is having some issues. I drove it about 50 miles and when I stopped tons of oil started spilling out of the air filter box? the air hose to the turbo was soaked and when I ran it and removed the breather hose it was blowing oil out, also blowing oil out of the dip stick hole. I'm not sure if it is pure oil or a mix with diesel? The truck is running great, starts right up and is not smoking. Any help would be great, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
um, 2.5 NA with a turbo? do you mean 2.5 TD?

sounds like the turbo is pressurizing the crankcase. if all else is well, perhaps the wastegate is not functioning? I'm no expert but this sounds like it could lead to a runaway engine.

was the crankcase overfilled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrown View Post
I have a 90 with a 2.5 NA that is having some issues. I drove it about 50 miles and when I stopped tons of oil started spilling out of the air filter box? the air hose to the turbo was soaked and when I ran it and removed the breather hose it was blowing oil out, also blowing oil out of the dip stick hole. I'm not sure if it is pure oil or a mix with diesel? The truck is running great, starts right up and is not smoking. Any help would be great, Thanks
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
JPBrown
James Brown

Sorry your right it is a TD. Was not overfilled, I was thinking of draining the oil starting over and see if it is loosing oil or Diesel. Turbo had a bit of oil in it when I pulled the air hose off but I thought this was normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
If you need parts for the engine, I have a fuel injection pump (rebuilt) a turbo (rebuilt) and almost everything else except the block,camshaft & crankshaft (already sold). After a complete rebuilt, my block cracked... Let me know what you need mate!
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:19 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Get the compression checked, from a distance it sounds like the crankcase is being pressurized and blowing oil into the intake. It's probably running great because its having the same effect as increasing the fueling at the moment. One day though when you switch the engine off it'll keep running on engine oil, rev faster and faster until it blows because there is no fuel governor on oil being blown into the combustion chamber by crank case pressure.

Take the filler cap off of the valve cover with the engine ticking over and see how much vapor is coming out of he filler hole, increase the revs and see what happens.
The other way to get oil in the intake is failed turbo bearings but as you have oil coming out the dipstick you have the crank case being pressurized by engine compression. A rebore & new pistons & rings is the answer. These engines are not renouned for having a long and trouble free life. A 200 Tdi will bolt more or less straight in give more power, speed and economy.
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:15 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

110% what he said ^^^^^^^
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:44 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
110% what he said ^^^^^^^
Cheers Jim
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
JPBrown
James Brown

Thanks for the info guys, so is she dead or worth fixing? Do you think it will be more economical to drop in a 200 or go through a rebuild?

Anyone got a 200 they want to get rid of?
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

If you decide to put in a 200tdi try to get a Defender 200tdi, I just swapped my 2.5 for a Defender 200tdi and it was a bolt in deal (only had to drill 2 small holes).

The nice thing is that you can use all factory part and it will be pretty much just like it came that way from Rover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old (Large).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	25302   Click image for larger version

Name:	none (Large).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	25303  

Name:	new (Large).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	25304  
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
If you decide to put in a 200tdi try to get a Defender 200tdi, I just swapped my 2.5 for a Defender 200tdi and it was a bolt in deal (only had to drill 2 small holes).

The nice thing is that you can use all factory part and it will be pretty much just like it came that way from Rover.
I second that.

A discovery engine can be made to fit but the defender engine will drop straight in and use standard LR parts.

As for is it dead, not yet but it's not got long to go.
You'd need to cost a rebore, probably a crank reface, bearings, pistons, rings gaskets and all the myriad other things that always seem to need replacing once you start, against the cost of a Tdi which is a far better engine. TD's usually start to get tired at around 80,000 miles. My discovery 200 Tdi has 270,000 miles on it and is still going strong.
If you go the tdi route you need to get the radiator, intercooler and all the pipe work that goes with the engine
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:02 PM
JPBrown
James Brown

Thanks again for all the info. I guess I should put a post on the wanted section for a 200.
Thanks
James
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I know very little about the 2.5 td but there might be some things you can check prior giving up on it maybe some of the smart people will chime in

Maybe some of the following?

Plugged breather causing the internal pressure?

Oil overfilled (make sure dipstick is solid and not dropping down too far when inserted showing a false reading?)

Clean the breather, air filter and the pipes and see how long it takes to get more oil in them

I think there is a valve on the bottom of the air filter housing that should allow the oil to pass and not buildup make sure it is working
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
JPBrown
James Brown

Yea I'm not done yet, I will clean it up drain the oil - refill it and drive it for a while and see what happens. Where did you source your 200?
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
If I may, the engine you have might worth rebuilding. When I did mine (TD) I didn't have any problem with the crankshaft. The crankshaft bearing were al right but as they're cheap to replace I did. I change the pistons and rings and had the head rebuilt. When the block cracked I replace the engine with a 200 tdi. From my point of view (after actually done it) It's not as simple as people think and suggest. You'll need to replace about everything in the engine compartment. 200 tdi engine don't come cheap. Your tranny might not be able to cope with the extra power of the 200 tdi. All the bits and parts needed for that swap fetch a high price and you'll end up searching all over for parts. Re-boring and rebuilding your engine might be cheaper and less frustrating. Here's a quick list of what's involved.
-complete engine
-while your at it a clutch and release bearing
-radiator and intercool
-pipe for radiator and pipes for intercooler
-power steering
-air filter assembly and pipes
-radiator expansion tank
-rewiring
-ignition
-pipes for heater matrix
-glow-plugs relay
-bits and parts and so on...
Think about what sort of engine you'll find as a 200tdi. Used defender tdi are old now and might have miles and miles on their belt. The 200 tdi out of disco are a nightmare to fit in a LHD defender if not impossible to do. My 200 tdi cost me a lot and I had to change the head. What I'm saying is, if you like you Rover the way it is, go for a rebuilt. If you wanna spend money and time change the engine.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
All the bits and parts needed for that swap fetch a high price and you'll end up searching all over for parts.
You shouldn't need to... You should buy everything from the host truck or the whole host truck. With all the stock parts, a 200TDI swap is an easy 8 to 12 hour job with no custom work. It is all about who you deal with and how you get the parts.

As to the gearbox, you should bring the gearbox from the host truck.
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Wink

Pistons blow by (usually the case with Turbo Diesel engine) is something that can be fixed without a big deal of money and time. No one can say that swapping an engine for a different one is an easy job.. At least not as easy as dealing with the engine already in place. If the job is done before the engine explode it shouldn't be expensive and then the engine will be good for another 100 000 miles. Who could guess what will happen with a used engine? What's the actual mileage and how was it maintain that's anybodies guess. These 200 tdi are now 20 years old. Regardless the fact that they are good engine, they don't last forever. You might end up having to rebuilt the tdi one as well. I don't want to be pessimists, but from my experience, stick to your Turbo diesel and rebuilt it. Mind as well add an inter-cooler to keep the stress from the heat as low as possible. Don't try tweaking it. That engine is already at is maximum. Keep the cooling system tip top and use good quality oil. Your Landy will thank you for it
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Where did you source your 200?
Directly from the UK

While I agree with CDNRover that a rebuild might be the way to go if the motor is still in decent condition and you are happy with it I completely disagree that installing a Defender 200tdi is much more effort than removing and reinstalling a 2.5TD

Like Red90 said get everything you can, my motor included the radiator, intercooler, overflow tank, fuel filter, fan shroud, intercooler pipes, flywheel, PAS pipes and air filter.

I replaced all rubber hoses and belts, had to purchase the front down pipe and radiator brackets. No wiring changes were needed and the stock fuel lines fit perfectly.

As far as motor swaps go it is about as easy as one could ask for.
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Here is the package it arrived in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motor crate (Large).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	25315  
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM
JPBrown
James Brown

Thanks for all the info....I will get the full diagnosis and then decide what to do.
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:44 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Not sure if you've fixed this issue yet, but the 2.5 TD has a very small Garrett turbo connected directly to the intake. No intercooler.

It's very possible that the turbocharger itself is leaking around the thrust bearing. This happens to older turbos and at high oil pressures, the oil will literally shoot right into the compressor housing.

Just a possibility others have not named.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions